Quit trying so hard to get TO the ball

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2425717 said:
You put him back with McFlubb and he is leading the league in receptions.....
:lmao2:

Good one!

TO is getting old before our eyes, but the beautiful thing is... It almost doesn't matter anymore. Number 11 can more than pick up the slack.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
realtome.jpg

He's still one of the Top 5 WRs in the NFL !!!

superpunk

Reaction score
Here's what I see with the eye test last night - TO was one of the least impressive players on the field. We gave him tons of chances, and he came up short. He couldn't gain the corner when he needed to, he wouldn't turn it upfield when he should have....

If you were watching just that game, and knew nothing about the WRs on the field, you would wonder why we were doing so much to get him the ball when we had guys like Austin and Roy W getting open without needing specially designed plays to get them the ball. I mean, how good are you really anymore when the only way to get you the ball is to create specialty plays? And I wouldn't even object to those so much if they were actually, um, effective when we ran them.

I don't know. He just looks like he's losing it. Which is unfortunate, because we just gave him alot of money to lose it here for the next three years.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2425790 said:
Here's what I see with the eye test last night - TO was one of the least impressive players on the field. We gave him tons of chances, and he came up short. He couldn't gain the corner when he needed to, he wouldn't turn it upfield when he should have....

If you were watching just that game, and knew nothing about the WRs on the field, you would wonder why we were doing so much to get him the ball when we had guys like Austin and Roy W getting open without needing specially designed plays to get them the ball. I mean, how good are you really anymore when the only way to get you the ball is to create specialty plays? And I wouldn't even object to those so much if they were actually, um, effective when we ran them.

I don't know. He just looks like he's losing it. Which is unfortunate, because we just gave him alot of money to lose it here for the next three years.

I saw us trying to use him the way Boldin was used on MNF.

superpunk

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2425799 said:
I saw us trying to use him the way Boldin was used on MNF.

I would agree.

But look at what Boldin does once he gets the ball in his hands. He is dynamic - the best in the league. TO did nothing with those same sort of opportunities. The eye test says that something is wrong. I mentioned that I am fine with those plays, as long as they are effective. They weren't.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2425807 said:
I would agree.

But look at what Boldin does once he gets the ball in his hands. He is dynamic - the best in the league. TO did nothing with those same sort of opportunities. The eye test says that something is wrong. I mentioned that I am fine with those plays, as long as they are effective. They weren't.

IDK man something just doesn't seem right. I'm not going to say TO is losing a step because he's still making plays and still gets open. I just think the plays are weird. We just need to give them more chances to make plays. Barber was the leading receiver last night.....I say more slants and crossing routes. TO will get his and so will everyone else I think Garrett is overrated though.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;2425790 said:

I think he's lost a lot of short area quickness. It's one of the reasons why he now has a hard time getting a clean release off the line, and one of the reasons why he hardly ever makes people miss after the catch anymore. Garrett's trying to get him the ball on the run so he can use his YAC, which used to be his strong suit, but now he's brought down by the first defender almost every time.

He's still muscular, and maybe still fast in straight line speed once he stretches out in his stride ... but his feet are getting slow.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
YoMick;2425191 said:
Ok.

I know its EASY to pick a side regarding TO and passes thrown his way.

All I can say is get him the ball on plays that are his strength. Not in major traffic or passes parallel to the LOS.

Sheesh.

He NEEDS to get the ball... thats why he is here.

He does have a 90 yarder that he caught off a quick pass on the LOS and made a move on Champ and took it to the house.

If they defenders are playing off him, I have no problem getting him the ball on the LOS

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2425926 said:
He does have a 90 yarder that he caught off a quick pass on the LOS and made a move on Champ and took it to the house.

If they defenders are playing off him, I have no problem getting him the ball on the LOS

If he gets the ball quick enough and he has a buffer, he can create.

You cant create when your QB has a broken pinky and cant get you the ball quick enough.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score

As long as you get it to him and not through some lame duck Romo.....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Wow. Just six weeks ago we were talking about how TO is faster after he spent the summer training by running in the sand.

Now, all of a sudden he's lost it in his first game back with his starting QB who is still rusty after having the likes of Johnson and Bollinger throw him the ball.

ddh33

Reaction score
TO is one of the better receivers in the game. He can still be a dynamic player who helps your team score points. With that in mind, you've got to try to get him the ball.

Now, having said that, I thought the team was forcing too many things to TO. That only causes problem.

I also think it's a legitimate conversation to talk about how age is affecting TO. I know he's a workout wonder. I've seen him enough to know that he can still fly. But it does seem to me that he needs to get a good start first. I wonder if his short-burst quickness has been affected?

Regardless, there is enough talent on this team that Romo needs to be allowed to do what he does. He needs to find the open man and get them the ball. Yeah, work on ways to get TO open, but not at the expense of everything else.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everybody talks about slants so much but that IMO is not what we need. Long crossing routes are really his best routes, that is where he is at his best.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv;2426037 said:
Everybody talks about slants so much but that IMO is not what we need. Long crossing routes are really his best routes, that is where he is at his best.

Slants!!!!!!!!!!! + crossing routes!!!!!! slants will help the O Line quick 3 step drops to mitigate pressure.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
well when the slants are thrown our qbs can't get it to him. Romo throwing that 1st pick was the exact same thing he did against cleveland. the second pick was just a mistake. Romo said whoever is open will get the ball last week yet he was trying too hard to get Owens the ball in the beginning of the game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40;2425081 said:
The Cowboys have playmakers all over the place, there is no need to do this. Hell, it's embarrassing how much our offense is wrapped up in worrying about TO, we're doing the defense a favor, wasting plays.
Well, someone had to say it.

I wish I had. :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2425280 said:
The first int was absolutely Romo's fault but the second wasn't. Romo put the ball right on him.
Unquestionable truth.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
How many years ago was that?...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2426093 said:
How many years ago was that?...
2004. the Broncos also blitzed 8 guys on that play so they were trusting Champ to make the tackle.