"Bigg" coming up small

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For all the blame to go around (and there's plenty), one guy who seems to be getting a free pass is Leaonard Davis.

After a teriffic first season in Dallas, his level of play seems to have regressed. And for what he's being paid, he should be a dominant force and I don't think the Cowboys are getting the bang for their buck with him.

For such a large player he continues to come up small. And, given that he's got an inexperienced player lining up next to him, I would expect his level of play to rise up. I haven't seen that, quite the opposite in fact.

For a guy over 350 lbs, it's amazing how often he disappears and you don't even realize he's out there. For a guy getting paid what he is, that's not good enough.

So while we're all lamenting another frustrating season and throwing folks under the bus, let's not forget Leonard Davis - the invisible giant.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;3147783 said:
For all the blame to go around (and there's plenty), one guy who seems to be getting a free pass is Leaonard Davis.

After a teriffic first season in Dallas, his level of play seems to have regressed. And for what he's being paid, he should be a dominant force and I don't think the Cowboys are getting the bang for their buck with him.

For such a large player he continues to come up small. And, given that he's got an inexperienced player lining up next to him, I would expect his level of play to rise up. I haven't seen that, quite the opposite in fact.

For a guy over 350 lbs, it's amazing how often he disappears and you don't even realize he's out there. For a guy getting paid what he is, that's not good enough.

So while we're all lamenting another frustrating season and throwing folks under the bus, let's not forget Leonard Davis - the invisible giant.

not sure i get this one.

i never hear his name called out for false start, holding or hands to the face.
i never hear his name called out for missing a block or allowing a sack.

maybe that's your point - we just never hear his name but i can tell you i'm pretty darned tired of hearing flozell and kozier's name all the time.

free i'm still giving some leeway cause of experience.

how many sacks has bigg given up?
how many penalties has he had?

not sure where you're getting the "free pass" from or why he should be called out here.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Um, idiotic.

As a former offensive lineman, I know I was happy, and my coach was happy if my name/number didn't get called during a game.

During film sessions is when coaches and teammates can see the effect your having on the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;3147790 said:
not sure i get this one.

i never hear his name called out for false start, holding or hands to the face.
i never hear his name called out for missing a block or allowing a sack.

He's got less penalties than Flozell does, that's for sure. But then again, who doesn't?

iceberg said:
maybe that's your point - we just never hear his name but i can tell you i'm pretty darned tired of hearing flozell and kozier's name all the time.

free i'm still giving some leeway cause of experience.

how many sacks has bigg given up?
how many penalties has he had?

How many plays has the guy made? For being among the league's highest-paid linemen, I expect to see a dominant force out there. At this point, I'm seeing just another guy.

iceberg said:
not sure where you're getting the "free pass" from or why he should be called out here.

Maybe my standards are higher. I'm expecting Larry Allen for "Larry Allen" money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dawgs0916;3147798 said:
Um, idiotic.

As a former offensive lineman, I know I was happy, and my coach was happy if my name/number didn't get called during a game.

During film sessions is when coaches and teammates can see the effect your having on the game.

Oh.

So since I'm not in the film room with "the boys" I can't see the effect he's having - or not having - on the game?

Again, for what he's being paid I'm not satisfied with him simply going "unnoticed" for fewer penalties than his mistake-prone linemates.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Only thing I have really seen of big this year is that Columbo/Jacobs fight giff somebody made......

That one cracks me up every time ..... and will always be how a remember Big.

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
He's been okay.

Maybe it's just me, but when the Cowboys do make a play in the running game it's "big hole, right guard". I liked what Kosier was doing earlier in the year too. Gurode and Flozell, on the other hand, are the people who should be called out.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
If you want to notice Bigg, then watch the goalline stand from the Chargers game. We kept running behind him, and he kept whiffing or getting stuffed. I also remember Bigg from the Giants game where he whiffed on a block on the Barber fumble play.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
people are missing the OP point. It was Davis who WHIFFED on the block of the man who poked the ball lose from Marion Barber against the Giants.

There are other I can recall from game to game where he COMPLETELY whiffs on his guy.

The problem is you NEVER pay a guard like we paid Leonard Davis. If you pay that kind of money, you better get Larry Allen. You better get a guy that the opposition would have mystery injuried the night before and sit the game out. We ran to his side 3 times to get 1 yard.....you should be able to do that behind the NFLs highest paid OL.

For that kind of scratch he MUST be moved to RT next year. I don't want to hear about him being best at Guard. His impact on the salary cap and his impact on the field at Guard are not adding up.

Gurode needs to be moved to Guard and we need to get more of a technician at Center. I truly feel like we would have moved Gurode to guard had we not missed on that Center in the 2nd round (his name slips my mind).

hairic

Reaction score
stasheroo;3147823 said:
Oh.

So since I'm not in the film room with "the boys" I can't see the effect he's having - or not having - on the game?

Again, for what he's being paid I'm not satisfied with him simply going "unnoticed" for fewer penalties than his mistake-prone linemates.

That is likely correct.

How many times this season can you remember where you got to see a replay showing the endzone angle of a play?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really don't have a place in this. I don't see him embarassing himself out there. I don't hear his name called. I don't see his man getting Romo killed. Maybe he's screwing up in the running game. I'm the first to admit that I pay more attention to the more skilled positions than the lineman. But I can say when it comes to this teams shortcomings I don't think about Leonard Davis. And btw, we all knew what Davis was before he got here. A underachieving tackle for the Cardinals. That being said, I don't feel he's underachieving here.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Actually, it was either Babe or Larry Brown who made a comment on the radio broadcast on Sunday that if you talk to the Cowboys coaches Bigg hasn't been very impressive this year at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3148018 said:
Actually, it was either Babe or Larry Brown who made a comment on the radio broadcast on Sunday that if you talk to the Cowboys coaches Bigg hasn't been very impressive this year at all.

They're paying him 70 million lol. They want 70 million dollars worth of play from him so I imagine they wouldn't be satisfied. But he's the least of this teams troubles IMO.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3148018 said:
does not shock me at all...I think the action happens to fast for him at Guard. I would put him at RT and not let him or any coach tell me he CANNOT do it...for 45M you WILL do it!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;3147814 said:
He's got less penalties than Flozell does, that's for sure. But then again, who doesn't?

How many plays has the guy made? For being among the league's highest-paid linemen, I expect to see a dominant force out there. At this point, I'm seeing just another guy.

Maybe my standards are higher. I'm expecting Larry Allen for "Larry Allen" money.

i don't know - how many has he made? can you tell for sure one way or another? you just seem like you felt bigg wasn't getting any negative love so start a thread and complain about him, but as of yet other than you saying he's not performing, i see no evidence to back that claim up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hairic;3148003 said:
That is likely correct.

How many times this season can you remember where you got to see a replay showing the endzone angle of a play?

I think I can see how well a lineman is performing - or not performing - without having coaches' tape.

And I base my opinion, right or wrong, from what my own eyes (and sometimes ears) tell me.

Not claiming to be a pro scout, just giving an opinion.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
rocyaice;3148027 said:
They're paying him 70 million lol. They want 70 million dollars worth of play from him so I imagine they wouldn't be satisfied. But he's the least of this teams troubles IMO.

When you run three consecutive times behind him on the goalline in a must win game and cant punch it in because there is absolutely no hole there, it seems like a problem to me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
He didn't exactly distinguish himself on the goal line series, but that doesn't mean he's having a **** year.

http://img15.*************/img15/8494/ch41sundec132009045059p.jpg

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
That's what people do here. They get their money then take it easy. A lot of them need to be cut. Hamlin, James, Barber. Others need to be cut or not re-signed for other reasons (loser mentality, no ambition but to get paid). A lot of the coaches suck, but part of this core of players needs to be replaced.

If we knew how to draft linemen Bigg wouldn't be here relaxing on that ridiculous contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;3148099 said:
i don't know - how many has he made? can you tell for sure one way or another? you just seem like you felt bigg wasn't getting any negative love so start a thread and complain about him, but as of yet other than you saying he's not performing, i see no evidence to back that claim up.

It's my opinion.

I don't need statistical evidence to back it up.

You can feel free to gather the evidence to refute my opinion if you'd like.

Penalties aren't the beginning or end of whether a lineman is doing a good job or not in my opinion.

I think Flozell does a "good job" but he's a highly-penalized lineman just the same.

If Davis wasn't one of the league's highest-paid linemen, you might be able to make the case for going unnoticed for penalties or being "adequate" as being good enough.

That's not the case, he's getting paid handsomely to be great, and great he isn't.