"Bigg" coming up small

canters

Reaction score
IMO< Davis is an above average OG. He sucked at OT at Arizona. The last two games have not been his best. If you have the Giants game taped, go back and watch Coffield abuse Davis. Davis is a bigger man, but Coffield went around him several times and made plays he should not have. Coffield also confused Gurode a few times and went between him and Davis without being touched. I swear, Gurode does dumb things from time to time.

IIRC, Gurode was not a good OG when he played that position under BP. He got pulled often for dumb mistakes.

We need better play from the guys we have, or some better players. Captain Obvious signing off.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gurode was average at best at guard. So called "fans" should remember that. Interesting that they don't.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
craig71;3148732 said:
I think the perception of Bigg being a waste of space is caused by the frustration of this team underachieving yet again.

I think he played better last year,but he's still playing decent ball this year.

Craig

I dont think anyone is saying he's a waste of space.

I think people are saying we aren't getting anywhere close to our $50 million dollars worth out of our guard.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3149051 said:
I dont think anyone is saying he's a waste of space.

I think people are saying we aren't getting anywhere close to our $50 million dollars worth out of our guard.

So then what's the solution? Does he have to have 36 pancake blocks a game in order to be worth $50M?

Does he need to run routes and catch a few TD passes as an "eligible receiver" to be worth $50M?

There's a lot more than goes into players' contract numbers than fans seem to realize. Go back and look at the other free agent Guards the year we signed Leonard Davis, and the needs for Guards for other teams.

Oftentimes, the salary number helps to first of all secure your free agent. If we offered him $30M or $42M, he might not be playing for us right now, and where would that leave us? Nobody knows, but Pat McQuistan and Corey Procter are on the roster.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
casmith07;3149095 said:
So then what's the solution? Does he have to have 36 pancake blocks a game in order to be worth $50M?

Sorry, didn't know Leonard Davis was the only player on the roster above criticism because he had earned a lifetime pass by being better than Corey Proctor.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;3149095 said:

Does he need to run routes and catch a few TD passes as an "eligible receiver" to be worth $50M?

There's a lot more than goes into players' contract numbers than fans seem to realize. Go back and look at the other free agent Guards the year we signed Leonard Davis, and the needs for Guards for other teams.

Oftentimes, the salary number helps to first of all secure your free agent. If we offered him $30M or $42M, he might not be playing for us right now, and where would that leave us? Nobody knows, but Pat McQuistan and Corey Procter are on the roster.

He needs to be better than average.

He needs to do more than "not screw up".

He needs to play up to the level of his salary.

He needs to be the dominant force he was a few seasons ago.

He needs to play better than he is now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;3149229 said:
He needs to be better than average.

He needs to do more than "not screw up".

He needs to play up to the level of his salary.

He needs to be the dominant force he was a few seasons ago.

He needs to play better than he is now.

maybe.

but then again at this point these things apply to just about any player on the roster.

well except for #4. : )

JBond

Reaction score
iceberg;3147790 said:
not sure i get this one.

i never hear his name called out for false start, holding or hands to the face.
i never hear his name called out for missing a block or allowing a sack.
The OP may be referring to the wiff by Big on the goal line play last week. Our entire O-line seems out of sync at times. Play calling vs execution. A century old argument made by fans. Whatever the heck is wrong they have 3 days to fix it. Not sure it will happen. Still hopeful for the NO game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Can we just change from a zone-blocking scheme to a more power oriented attack...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;3149246 said:
maybe.

but then again at this point these things apply to just about any player on the roster.

well except for #4. : )

Plenty of blame to go around, no doubt.

My point is that Leonard Davis is playing a nice role in the team's struggles and seemed to be getting mostly a free pass.

I'm disappointed in his play and wanted to express that.

JBond

Reaction score
bbailey423;3147994 said:
Gurode needs to be moved to Guard and we need to get more of a technician at Center. I truly feel like we would have moved Gurode to guard had we not missed on that Center in the 2nd round (his name slips my mind).

With all the issues the Cowboys have you are choosing to focus on Gurode? Good grief you sound like the Ratliff to end crowd. Typically you do not move your best players out of position hopping for more success elsewhere. What the heck is your beef with him anyway?

So who do think should play center next year? Give me 3 names that can be on the roster next year that are better proven centers? What FA is better? College kid? Bring me three names and how much they cost.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;3149271 said:
Plenty of blame to go around, no doubt.

My point is that Leonard Davis is playing a nice role in the team's struggles and seemed to be getting mostly a free pass.

I'm disappointed in his play and wanted to express that.

i guess my point is it's almost looking for the next player to rag on so we'll just go down the list until we beat up all the players.

i'm disappointed in the cowboys. : )

JBond

Reaction score
khiladi;3149262 said:
Can we just change from a zone-blocking scheme to a more power oriented attack...

I thought that was why we went back to the same old well and brought back Hudson Houck. I was told by many knowledgeable fans he was the answer. Many were also excited by our special teams coach. Our coverage is better but now the money makers (kickers/punters) are unable to get the job done.

Oh well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;3149276 said:
i guess my point is it's almost looking for the next player to rag on so we'll just go down the list until we beat up all the players.

i'm disappointed in the cowboys. : )

Yeah, there's an element of truth to that.

I guess I'm so disappointed that I don't want to spare anyone from my own personal wrath.

And I'm more disappointed in Davis than some others so he warrants his own gripe post from me.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Better look to the Defensive Co-ordinator then. He let the team down in the last couple of games. Much bigger factor than BIG

RamziD

Reaction score
stasheroo;3148939 said:
Nah, let's be happy with every average-performing player we're paying a truckoad of money to instead.

And then cover our eyes and pretend not to see another disappointing season pass by.

:blind:

Ah, the old "we overpaid and he's not playing to the level of his salary" argument. IOW, "I know my argument is not that strong so I'm just going to harp on how much we overpaid him". Can you name more than a handful of FAs in the last 5-6 years who weren't overpaid? That's the nature of FA... 90% of the FAs get paid unsightly amounts of money. Who's the highest paid player in the NFL? Usually the last one who just signed a contract. Saying that a player is not playing up to his salary is like predicting that we won't win the Super Bowl this year... you have a > 90% chance of being right.

wileedog

Reaction score
rocyaice;3148027 said:
They're paying him 70 million lol. They want 70 million dollars worth of play from him so I imagine they wouldn't be satisfied. But he's the least of this teams troubles IMO.

Actually paying a guy $X dollars and not getting $X dollars worth of production is the epitome of this teams troubles.

The Oline in particular is spectacularly well paid between the starting 5, yet no one mistakes this for a top Oline in the league.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
iceberg;3147790 said:
not sure i get this one.

i never hear his name called out for false start, holding or hands to the face.
i never hear his name called out for missing a block or allowing a sack.

maybe that's your point - we just never hear his name but i can tell you i'm pretty darned tired of hearing flozell and kozier's name all the time.

free i'm still giving some leeway cause of experience.

how many sacks has bigg given up?
how many penalties has he had?

not sure where you're getting the "free pass" from or why he should be called out here.

ice - he regularly get called out for missing blocks by Babe on the radio commentary.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3149429 said:
ice - he regularly get called out for missing blocks by Babe on the radio commentary.

cool - and i'll back up and go study more. i just never hear his name during gametime or listen to post game shows.

i could well be wrong here! : )

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;3149330 said:
Yeah, there's an element of truth to that.

I guess I'm so disappointed that I don't want to spare anyone from my own personal wrath.

And I'm more disappointed in Davis than some others so he warrants his own gripe post from me.

arch told me he is getting called out - so you may be right.

in the end i've been wanting us to fix our OL for a long long time. i think romo's mobility had hidden how bad it can be at times where bledsoe showed off how bad it was.