"McQuistan is staying!" - Bill Parcells

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Parcells loves big, McQ. With his athleticism (for a huge guy) he's going to be a staple on our offensive line for years to come. A prime example why 6th and 7th round picks aren't just something to be tossed out. Bill and Ireland find good players late in the draft. After the draft, for that matter.

McQ.
Crayton
Reeves
Petitti
Nate Jones
Pepper Johnson
Tyson Thompson
Oliver Hoyte
Ryan Fowler
etc.

Lots of servicable to good players there... and Pepper and McQ could end up being very, very good.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
It's official. We're the ugliest team in the league.

66930.jpg

I think the Raiders are going to give us a run for our money.

Of course, Weber State will always hold the record.

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
This is probably not a big surprise, but he was basically making the point that he will be on the 53 man roster, and NOT exposed to the Practice Squad.

this sounds great, but then who is the odd man out, roster-wise?

fabini?

fortdick

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think the Raiders are going to give us a run for our money.

Of course, Weber State will always hold the record.

Nah, we got the better looking of the two. :eek:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Gosh, alot of these same things were said about Pettiti last year, wonder how we will feel about this guy next fall.......I mean all Pettiti did was just lead the league in sacks allowed, lol.

I have seen something in McQ, I just hope it ain't a training camp mirage.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Nah, we got the better looking of the two. :eek:

This will be the first and last time Pat McQuistan is ever called "better looking" than anyone.

sago1

Reaction score
Wonder why Parcells felt the need to emphatically announce that we weren't going to put McQuistan on PS but were keeping him on the team. Was there a question asked of him re McQuistan that I missed or has McQuistan been the subject of some trade interest by other teams? Latter might be the case given Parcells comment about "panthers (not specifically referring to Carolina Panthers) would be all over him.

BTW: Want to bring Pettiti in on this discussion. Actually I'm not down on Pettiti like some of you--thinking he might be the odd man out. It's real tough to go from a 7th rounder to legit starter RT on a team with playoff/SB aspirations. Pettiti did everything he could in the offseason to improve physically/mentally; all he now needs to do to complete his transformation to a legit starting OT is to get the mechanics/technique down pat. Have no doubt in my mind as season progresses or, maybe as late as next year, that Pettiti might have legit chance to be a starter.

Reason I wanted mention Pettiti is to tie in McQuistan and their futures with the Cowboys. Remember that Adams coming back from major injury. Next season is 5th year of his 5 year contract and he will cost us $7M+ (?) against the cap. We may well have 2 young lions in McQuistan and Pettiti who could legitimately compete for that starting LT job or at least one of them is logical successor to Adams sooner rather then later. But again all this is conjecture and both Pettiti and McQuistan have ways to go before they can legitimately start.

Also I do expect Colombo to continue to improve at RT as his reps increase & he gains valuable NFL experience. Remember he only played in about 7 games in 02 rookie season before getting hurt' he's essentially played little if anything since then compared with Pettiti's 16 starts last year. So Colombo, might have a really big upside and a permament fixture at RT.

Considering our poor OL picks in 04, it's amusing that we might have legit chance of landing our future OT starts by future of 2 7th round picks (or as Pettiti a 6th) and a FA nobody wanted cause of his serious knee injury but Parcells liked his attitude and took a gamble on him. BTW: Gruden at TB has looked at Colombo just days before we signed but no interest in him due serious nature of 02 injury.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Gosh, alot of these same things were said about Pettiti last year, wonder how we will feel about this guy next fall.......I mean all Pettiti did was just lead the league in sacks allowed, lol.

I have seen something in McQ, I just hope it ain't a training camp mirage.

I may very well be wrong but I don't think Bill had as much praise for Rob as this kid. And followed up statements with quality playing time. Yes Rob started but Bill had little choice.

I was skeptical but this kid does have potential and looks ready to contribute relatively successfully.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
If you guys haven't heard today's press conference, you should listen to Parcells remarks about McQ today. Parcells is absolutely sold on him.

It was as positive an appraisal as I've heard Parcells make of any Cowboys rookie (with the exception of DeMarcus Ware).

According to Parcells, the only thing that McQ lacks is experience.

Just hearing Parcells' emphatic conviction about how good McQ could be is exciting.

This is great news.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
If you guys haven't heard today's press conference, you should listen to Parcells remarks about McQ today. Parcells is absolutely sold on him.

It was as positive an appraisal as I've heard Parcells make of any Cowboys rookie (with the exception of DeMarcus Ware).

According to Parcells, the only thing that McQ lacks is experience.

Just hearing Parcells' emphatic conviction about how good McQ could be is exciting.

This is great news.
Exactly, makes a person wish that we had a high third round pick ahead of the Raiders to have nabbed his brother too.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe someone who knows twins can answer this question but I could have sworn I read that the MCQ brothers were identical twins, and every twin I've known had similar physical properties. Now, I never was on any team with identical twins, it was mainly just social, so I wouldn't know how that translates to athletics. Wouldn't it make sense to say if his brother is drafted in the 3rd round, and his brother is an identical twin, there's probably some talent hiding in our McQ's ginger noggin too?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Maybe someone who knows twins can answer this question but I could have sworn I read that the MCQ brothers were identical twins, and every twin I've known had similar physical properties. Now, I never was on any team with identical twins, it was mainly just social, so I wouldn't know how that translates to athletics. Wouldn't it make sense to say if his brother is drafted in the 3rd round, and his brother is an identical twin, there's probably some talent hiding in our McQ's ginger noggin too?

I don't think that's the issue. They're similar physically but his brother had a lot more experience and probably better technique. In other words he'd be ready earlier.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
Remember the old 12 round draft years. It was said that a 9 to 12 was a steal (like Larry Brown). And was said, that you can get a good quality player in the 7th (like Leon Lett). And yes, that can be considered a steal then too, but was not considered a bad pick either.

Now because it's only 7 rounds, people think you are getting bums at that spot. Well we got a good quality player, that can turn into a steal...and hopefully if it plays out right, will be a great pick and player....let's hope for the best.

There were fewer teams in the league when the draft was 12 rounds so there was more talent to spread around. What was the limit on roster sizes back then? Was it bigger too?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I don't think that's the issue. They're similar physically but his brother had a lot more experience and probably better technique. In other words he'd be ready earlier.

Did McQ (our McQ) not play college football until his junior year?

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
This is probably not a big surprise, but he was basically making the point that he will be on the 53 man roster, and NOT exposed to the Practice Squad.

McQool, I think he has shown a lot of "talent" in camp, and will push Petitti, Adams (next year), and Columbo. Columbo is still the question mark. Can he stay healthy.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Colombo looked like a stud against the 49ers starters, and Fabini look like **** against the 49er reserves. I don't think Fabini has his spot locked up, but Bill has a tendency to, umm, shall we say "give his former players every opportunity to play"? Even when they suck.

But with bigger, younger, stronger alternatives on the roster, Fabini better get his **** together vs. the Vikings.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I think we should work a trade for his brother, for some reason in my head the chemistry alone would make for an awesome line.