JBS

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned ...but smaller DEs can thrive in this scheme

No problem

Sign him up

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
For what it's worth, which may not be much to some, Jay Glazer was on Dan Patrick yesterday. He said he gets a lot of info on players from not just teammates/coaches, but from talking to college wrestlers. The wrestlers often train with, party with, and in general just run in the same circles as the football players.

Based on the people Glazer talked to, he said he would absolutely 100% not touch Gregory. He seemed really concerned about his weed problem and said if it's that bad in Nebraska, it's not going to get any better going under a brighter spotlight. On the flip side, he said everything he's heard about Shane Ray is that he's a good, hard-working kid who is worth taking because even though he made a stupid mistake, "that's not who he is."

Take it with a grain of salt, but I consider Glazer to be pretty plugged in.

From what I understood it had nothing to do with the weed problem. They mentioned that many GMs took Gregory off their boards maybe because he was "mentally weak", I am guessing like Claiborne is. Then they said there was something even worse, maybe another Dez like Red Herring thing before the draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
For what it's worth, which may not be much to some, Jay Glazer was on Dan Patrick yesterday. He said he gets a lot of info on players from not just teammates/coaches, but from talking to college wrestlers. The wrestlers often train with, party with, and in general just run in the same circles as the football players.

Based on the people Glazer talked to, he said he would absolutely 100% not touch Gregory. He seemed really concerned about his weed problem and said if it's that bad in Nebraska, it's not going to get any better going under a brighter spotlight. On the flip side, he said everything he's heard about Shane Ray is that he's a good, hard-working kid who is worth taking because even though he made a stupid mistake, "that's not who he is."

Makes sense.

The only thing that is in the back of my mind is that I think the organization is proud enough of it's internal "support program" with Hill and Co. that they think they can take on anything.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Since when did Jeremiah have sources within Valley Ranch? Not saying it's completely false but I don't recall him ever proving to have reliable source within the organization, or even citing "sources" while on NFLN.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Greg is a pot head, he had issues with pot since he been in college. Im sorry I'm not sugar coating this guy issues. Who do drugs when you know there is a test coming ???

This is not a one off incident . Yeah people smoke and all is good until they get a violation. In Greg case he will come in with a strike. I'm not saying he is a criminal or will hurt someone but for my premium picks I would prefer someone without any substance abuse issues or heavy baggage.

I never said he wasn't a pothead. I've also been vocal about the timing and decision making. We are talking about a top-10 talent at 27 though. I'd probably roll the dice, but that's just me. I can absolutely see the other side of the argument. Then again, there are six more rounds...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes sense.

The only thing that is in the back of my mind is that I think the organization is proud enough of it's internal "support program" with Hill and Co. that they think they can take on anything.

And the organization is still smarting from the Randy Moss situation.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
From what I understood it had nothing to do with the weed problem. They mentioned that many GMs took Gregory off their boards maybe because he was "mentally weak", I am guessing like Claiborne is. Then they said there was something even worse, maybe another Dez like Red Herring thing before the draft.

Right. They've said that he needs to land in the right spot, where there is a good support structure in place for players like this. Dallas has been pretty good at reclamation projects lately. Maybe even for Gregory's sake, Dallas is the right fit.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Drafting someone of Gregory's talent at #27 isn't a gamble.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned ...but smaller DEs can thrive in this scheme

No problem

Sign him up

Some have many don't. Lawrence at 251 is looking to add more bulk. I can't think of any Marinelli DE coming in at 240? Not looking to slam Gregory, I think he is a great fit in a 3-4 defense as an OLB

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Glazer has definitely proven to be more tuned in league wide than Jeremiah. I don't recall Jeremiah ever breaking any news or even attempting to. He mainly just provides insight as a former scout. We'll see how it plays out....

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Great read. Please take the time to do so.

Randy Gregory: 'I blame myself' for failed NFL combine drug test
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481581/article/randy-gregory-i-blame-myself-for-failed-nfl-combine-drug-test

Gregory said he first smoked marijuana after graduating from Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Ind., and before enrolling at Arizona Western Community College in 2011. He had failed to qualify academically at Purdue, which represented a considerable disappointment to him, and Gregory said he turned to marijuana to cope with the anxiety.

He sat out the 2012 season with a broken leg but was still pursued by major colleges. In 2013 he transferred to Nebraska, where he officially tested positive for marijuana twice, in January 2014 and April 2014. (Gregory said Nebraska officials told him he would be kicked off the team if he were to fail a third test.)

Gregory said he has not smoked marijuana since December, but because his THC levels were so elevated, the drug remained in his system at the combine. Thus, the positive test.

Asked if anyone at Nebraska bears any responsibility for his situation, Gregory said no. "Their job isn't to focus on (whether) these kids are smoking. Their job is to coach us. We should be able to take it upon ourselves and to have enough character to not do it. At the time, I did not. I really didn't. ...

"At the end of the day, it was my fault. I was being selfish. I was being stubborn. I felt like I could do things my way and it would work. And it didn't work."

Last month at the combine, Gregory said he spent time with 29 teams in formal and informal interviews. In all 29 sessions, he said, his marijuana use at Nebraska was discussed; if the team didn't bring up the subject, Gregory said he did.

Gregory said he has taken regular drug tests, administered by the new support team around him -- including agent Deryk Gilmore of Priority Sports -- and that his levels continue to decline. (A second source, who was informed of the test results, confirmed that information.)

"I want people to understand I'm not some dumb jock pothead. I'm not," he added. "I'm intelligent. I love the people who help me, I love my family, I love my support group. I love football. I love winning. And I don't want to be labeled as some bust that couldn't make it because he smoked. And I won't be labeled as that."

Gregory has been training both his body and mind for the road ahead. A stomach ailment caused his weight to drop to 235 pounds before the combine; since then, he's added eight pounds. He said he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds during his training session Wednesday morning at Goldin Athletics Training Association in the Atlanta area. (That time, of course, is unofficial. At the combine, he ran it in 4.64.)

Gregory calls playing professional football "a dream." But before he even enters the NFL, his career may be at a crossroads.

"(Marijuana) could end my career," he said. "This incident right now is a step toward ending my career. The last thing I want to do is fail another drug test and be out of the league.

"I want it on the record. I want people to understand I know I messed up. I'm owning up to it. I realize it. But at the same time, I'm taking the right steps to get better and to fix it."

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't. I think Ray still goes high.

I think you are right. Overall, the book on Ray seems to be that he does not carry the emotional baggage concern that Gregory has.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Strengths
Tall with long levers and a lean, sinewy build. Batted down four passes in 2014. Stronger than expected at point of attack. Able to lock out and stay square against big offensive tackles and can whip most tight ends. Unhinges and gets tentacles on running backs bursting through gap. Room for more thickness on long frame. Competitive and shows toughness against run. Can chase and limit outside runs with speed. Secondary motor to stay in hunt downfield as tackler. Explosive hips. Gets instant change of direction to hound quarterbacks in play-action. Played standing up and with hand in ground. Rushed occasionally from ILB spot. Stride and second gear for quick close. Has bend and hips to convert speed to power. Showed improved timing and understanding of how to set up inside pass-rush move as season progressed. Hands are a blur. Explosive play traits to overwhelm technically deficient tackles. Can counter and recover from cut blocks. Flashes plus hand-feet coordination. As blitzer from ILB, will coil and explode into guard on contact step. More than tough enough. Willing to take on pulling guards with low pad level and aggressive pop.
Weaknesses
Thin through trunk and will play with a narrow base, causing balance issues. Almost always last player out of his stance at snap. Technique and feel as pass rusher lacking at this point. Thinks rather than plays. Takes occasional false steps as stand-up rusher. Time-waster. Too much time stutter-stepping tackles rather than exploding upfield. Fails to stress the high side of tackles to get them rocking. Makes it too easy for tackles to quick-set him. Plays man in front of him rather than "seeing through" to quarterback. Lacks creativity as rusher. Gets punched with his shoulders still squared rather than on an angle, which robs ability to turn edge. Doesn't process what he sees very quickly. Marginal play strength in pass rush and can be redirected. Was manhandled by Wisconsin blockers on two long touchdown runs by Melvin Gordon. Issues with positive drug tests are a significant concern.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446