Raiders get PI call to beat Dallas but don’t today on a more egregious non call

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
maybe under the new "do whatever you can to make it easier for offenses" NFL, that would be called, but to me I think that is far from what I would call a PI. He may of grabbed the shirt slightly, but it didn't slow down, pull, or alter the WR one bit. We need much much much much much less PI's called, not more. let the guys play

There are
WAY too many flags thrown in todays NFL.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Technically that is a PI. Hands on the hips or body -- not a PI. Holding the jersey while the ball is not in the air (holding). Holding the jersey while the ball is in the air (PI).

What Brown did on Thanksgiving Day that drew a PI that setup the Raiders' winning field goal wasn't one. Being close to the receiver so your body is on him (incidental contact) is not PI. He even held up his arms so he would be called for it yet he still was. He didn't grab nor pull the receiver's jersey nor lay his hands on the receiver's body.

That the defender turns his head so it is not a PI is just a lame excuse that has no real substantiation in the rule book.

The refs are in the least inconsistent and sometimes bad at "interpreting" the rules. At the most, they are egregiously mal-intentioned with their bias.

I don't care that the refs didn't call the PI on Washington. It's better for refs not to interfere on ticky-tack or dubious calls when the game is on the line. It's when they interfere on dubious calls at crucial points in the game and they are inconsistent in doing so, it makes them look like they have a hand in the game.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Let the players on the field decide the game. It was a minimal tug and the defender had good position. I am so freaking tired of the all the ticky-tack calls. I have seen much worse infractions not called in games and I don't care as long as the non call s are equitable to both teams. No flags are good flags.
I agree to let them play of course. I think the premise of this thread is. They called that a week ago. And ruined our Thanksgiving lol

phildadon86

Reaction score
We won this game due to a missed call:

The Schultz non-fumble that was a fumble in the Carolina game, etc. Everything evens out. But no, we're victims of Mara and Goodell's grand conspiracy. Weak.

Is this the same game that Dak had a TD that was called back?

Carson

Reaction score
You can’t argue that Browns 2nd and 3rd penalty were any worse than that last call

Once again, I’m not arguing Dallas this or Dallas that.

It’s just ridiculous how these guys have zero clue on any call and can call it anyway they choose

Rayman70

Reaction score
the NFL is "soft rigged"...refs job is 2 "guide" if you will, the desired outcomes. Until the Jones family no longer owns the team, this will get worse.The network's and announcers are very aware and in on it. They are complicit. If fans don't think this is the case, well...they haven't been watching closely enough. PS-...THIS ISN'T JUST A DALLAS THING, its league wide. Been this way before Goodell..just worse now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect this to be called.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That KC penalty on Mahomes where the ref in the announcer's booth said it was the right call because HE "abruptly" moved his arms was an absolute farce!!!! That was an egregiously bad call. But again, the "ref" in the NBC booth went right along with it and even Collinsworth and Al were stunned...it was one of THE WORST calls I seen all year. Its another example of the NFL trying to manipulate the scores of these games.I think its a ratings thing. Follow the $.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It was a minimal tug

a tug that completely kept the receiver from getting to a ball that was out in front. ie, the defender was beaten & in a bad position.

i'm ok with not calling every little thing but to just allow the defensive player to negate a guy's athleticism\skill by grabbing isn't what the sport should be about. this is from a guy who thinks DB's are put into impossible situations by the rules. change the rules to give them a chance but don't go back to the "mugathon" of the 70s & 80s.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
But, as the OP pointed out, that would have been a PI call against Dallas. I agree with the OP.
Depends on the Officiating Crew. Have seen the Cowboys get away with many calls as well. Just would like to se less flags and an evenly called game.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
a tug that completely kept the receiver from getting to a ball that was out in front. ie, the defender was beaten & in a bad position.

i'm ok with not calling every little thing but to just allow the defensive player to negate a guy's athleticism\skill by grabbing isn't what the sport should be about. this is from a guy who thinks DB's are put into impossible situations by the rules. change the rules to give them a chance but don't go back to the "mugathon" of the 70s & 80s.
I didn't think it was big deal.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I agree to let them play of course. I think the premise of this thread is. They called that a week ago. And ruined our Thanksgiving lol
So that means every game should have 28 penalties? I think the Thanksgiving game should be an example of how not to officiate.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would say that was def holding, not PI. I guess one could argue if the ball was in the air it is pass interference but it doesn't look like the defender impeded the receiver from catching the ball.

ARTICLE 6. DEFENSIVE HOLDING
It is defensive holding if a player grasps an eligible offensive player (or his jersey) with his hands, or extends an arm or arms to cut off or encircle him. See 12-1-6.

I think the video shows the defender clearly grabbed the receivers jersey. But other than that I don't see enough contact to call PI.

The Anthony Brown call was clearly the wrong call as Brown did not make contact with the receiver and the ball was underthrown. There was also the receiver grabbing Brown's helmet and pulling him in.

I prefer the refs do not effect the outcome of the game at the end. But calling Holding would not have helped the Raiders much. I would have given them 5 yards and one more play.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
That was a good non-call. I doubt the receiver even felt the 'tug".

The lack of consistency in calling that type of play is a problem but they got it right in this case.

Carson

Reaction score

The lack of consistency in calling that type of play is a problem but they got it right in this case.
My main agreeing factor on this is, it’s literally what Las Vegas wanted to do.

It worked the week before against Dallas and they thought it would get them out of jail free again .

blueblood70

Reaction score

wrong it was worse then two of ABs calls in the raider game..wft got gifted with many calls and raiders got back what happened to us in their game.refs didn't make the right call they once again are inconsistent in calls form crew to crew..

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
wrong it was worse then two of ABs calls in the raider game..wft got gifted with many calls and raiders got back what happened to us in their game.refs didn't make the right call they once again are inconsistent in calls form crew to crew..
Two wrongs don't make a right, though.

I would bet my Christmas goose the receiver wasn't impacted at all by the jersey grab.

I do agree that the inconsistency is a real problem.