Raiders get PI call to beat Dallas but don’t today on a more egregious non call

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Is this the same game that Dak had a TD that was called back?

If you're talking about the goal line play, there was no TD called to "call back." Change of subject notwithstanding, the blown facemask call was "late and game-affecting" like the 'spiracy crew likes to claim when more fouls are called on the opponent. Maybe calls just get missed .... for everyone, obviously.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Two wrongs don't make a right, though.

I would bet my Christmas goose the receiver wasn't impacted at all by the jersey grab.

I do agree that the inconsistency is a real problem.

one less of those calls in the raider game i guarantee a win..they missed or were wrong on about 5 calls that game..they took game from us both in the raiders game and then aiding WFT,,they literally effected our season directly in those two very lopsided calls for the raiders then against the raiders..

if that doesnt make you go hmmm...well think deeply. If we win and wft lost those games the division is locked up..we would be untouchable, find it very coincidentally to not have gone that way..:):rolleyes:

two wrongs make it very wrong when its both effected us..

phildadon86

Reaction score
If you're talking about the goal line play, there was no TD called to "call back." Change of subject notwithstanding, the blown facemask call was "late and game-affecting" like the 'spiracy crew likes to claim when more fouls are called on the opponent. Maybe calls just get missed .... for everyone, obviously.
So Dak had the ball in his ankles then? Gotcha. I have never seen a fan defend the officiating of the NFL to the degree you do.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
one less of those calls in the raider game i guarantee a win..they missed or were wrong on about 5 calls that game..they took game from us both in the raiders game and then aiding WFT,,they literally effected our season directly in those two very lopsided calls for the raiders then against the raiders..

if that doesnt make you go hmmm...well think deeply. If we win and wft lost those games the division is locked up..we would be untouchable, find it very coincidentally to not have gone that way..:):rolleyes:

two wrongs make it very wrong when its both effected us..
I do agree that the inconsistency is a real problem.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is there a stat somewhere that counts the "splash flags" (made up term). Ones that take points off the board, negate 1st downs, result in over 30+ yards in field position...things like that.

It's those that have driven me nuts this year - it seems there is one after another called on us.

I get the phantom holding call that are drive killers - those happen way too often too on us, but it's these game altering calls that seem to be at a higher rate for some reason. Williams of course has been the root of a lot of those, but some have been very ticky tack calls on him.

kevm3

Reaction score
We won this game due to a missed call:

The Schultz non-fumble that was a fumble in the Carolina game, etc. Everything evens out. But no, we're victims of Mara and Goodell's grand conspiracy. Weak.

More evidence that NFL officiating is atrocious, but somehow players are expected to play through it and be perfect while the officials can be incompetent if not outright corrupt. The officiating needs to be improved period because it is undermining the product.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So Dak had the ball in his ankles then? Gotcha. I have never seen a fan defend the officiating of the NFL to the degree you do.

But that's not the topic I brought up here. It's that the non-facemask call won the game for us then when someone listed the opposite. Point being, it happens for and against us and not some 'spiracy. Otherwise, that was prime for sticking it to us, right? And legit. But it didn't happen, did it? It's merely "evidence against." When that ruffles feathers, it's because someone wants or needs to believe the opposite.

When the goal line play was the topic, I stated Dak probably scored but also could see how it would also not be called because no ref had a clear view. Not sure why balance unnerves some of you unless what I stated above was true.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
More evidence that NFL officiating is atrocious, but somehow players are expected to play through it and be perfect while the officials can be incompetent if not outright corrupt. The officiating needs to be improved period because it is undermining the product.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! If the reffing is bad (and it is), find ways to improve it. I've said this a million times, but there's no possible way that 7 up-there-in-age refs can completely monitor 11 different match-ups while simultaneously looking for ball control, feet down, possession, football moves, holding exceptions, etc. and not miss some or completely goof thinking they saw something they didn't. It's the simplest explanation and yet gets raced past so any one team can claim they're "victims" of some grand scheme to keep them down. I find this need to be a victim so fascinating but there's tons of data here in case I want to make it a topic of study, lol.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
like that's kind of the point. these wishy washy PI calls accounted for like a majority of their points.
And he was saying the same thing in the aftermath. Took him a bit to move his criticism from the refs back to his usual target of Cowboys fans

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
People are missing the point, both were PI’s the one on Brown was because the rules say if the DB doesn’t turn his head it’s a PI, just like it’s a PI when a DB pulls the jersey of the receiver…the point is 1 was called and hurt the boys, another wasn’t called and also hurt the boys..

Not turning your head is not a penality. There is no face guarding in the NFL. As long as Brown doesn't play through the receiver, there is no requirement to turn his head. He didn't touch the WR - the WR jumped into him and grabbed him.. it was not PI. It was a severely bad call, especially at that point in the game. The one yesterday in the Raiders game, was by defination PI and it wasn't called. IMO, neither of them should have been called and this is what is so frustrating about the Refs - they call when they want and don't when they don't want to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His head was turned and he made a play on the ball.
Right .. and the difference.

Had Brown turned to look back he wouldn’t have been called.

If you look back in an attempt to make a play on the ball much less like it to get called with inadvertent contact.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Just looked like normal contact you see all the time and didn’t affect the outcome of the play.

How the hell does pulling on a guy's jersey as he runs not affect the outcome of the play? You do understand that doing so clearly slowed the receiver down and altered his stride thus making it more difficult for him to adjust to the flight of the ball.. If AB did that all 6 refs would have thrown the flag.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Right is right and wrong is wrong. The Saints got screwed on a RB pass blocking. You want Zeke penalized next time he does the exact same thing so Saints fans don’t think they are getting screwed?

Zeke doesn't wait for the blitzer to run by him then block him in the back.. Regardless of how stupid the rule is, by the letter of the law that block was illegal. But how did you feel about the whack across Dak's face that forced the INT? I supposed since it happened to the Cowboys QB it was a good no call right?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not turning your head is not a penality. There is no face guarding in the NFL. As long as Brown doesn't play through the receiver, there is no requirement to turn his head. He didn't touch the WR - the WR jumped into him and grabbed him.. it was not PI. It was a severely bad call, especially at that point in the game. The one yesterday in the Raiders game, was by defination PI and it wasn't called. IMO, neither of them should have been called and this is what is so frustrating about the Refs - they call when they want and don't when they don't want to.
:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right, it’s not a penalty if you don’t turn your head . But this is a judgement call and if a player looks more like he’s making a play on the ball less likely to get called .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Right, it’s not a penalty if you don’t turn your head . But this is a judgement call and if a player looks more like he’s making a play on the ball less likely to get called .

There needs to be contact for there to be a penalty. Brown did not make contact until the receiver grabbed his head and pulled him into him. All the upfield refs saw there was no contact and kept their flags holstered. The guy who threw the flag was behind the receiver and ASSUMED contact because there was no way he could have seen it from his angle. Frankly the rest of the guys should have called him over and overruled him.. but seeing as how the opportunity to screw the Cowboys presented itself they took immediate advantage.

Mannix

Reaction score
Refs currying more favor with The Goon who's an admitted WFT fan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There needs to be contact for there to be a penalty. Brown did not make contact until the receiver grabbed his head and pulled him into him. All the upfield refs saw there was no contact and kept their flags holstered. The guy who threw the flag was behind the receiver and ASSUMED contact because there was no way he could have seen it from his angle. Frankly the rest of the guys should have called him over and overruled him.. but seeing as how the opportunity to screw the Cowboys presented itself they took immediate advantage.
I certainly thought it was a more obvious call to make.

But these judgement calls will always be questioned. Has always been a part of the game. Perhaps we should review every call just like we review every score , turnover, etc.

boysbeyond4ever

Reaction score
It was a good non call. That's how to officiate a game.

So then why call it on Thanksgiving?

Again, this is the crux of the problem. If you officiate consistently every call is right. If you throw the flag every time, fine. If you keep it in your pocket every time, fine. It's consistent

The problem is when you call it inconsistently play to play or game to game. If it is called inconsistently then there is no right call, not only by the officials but for the players to base their actions around so they are not penalties. The players don't know the rules well enough because the NFL apparently doesn't educate them on them and apparently doesn't have its referees explain how they are going to govern play to players pre-game.on a given gameday.

If that was pass interference in the end zone on Anthony Brown on Thanksgiving that absolutely pass interference yesterday.. Otherwise both calls were wrong. I could live with neither flag being thrown, or both flags being thrown. No football fan anywhere for any team should be willing to accept one being thrown and the other not as good officiating.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How the hell does pulling on a guy's jersey as he runs not affect the outcome of the play? You do understand that doing so clearly slowed the receiver down and altered his stride thus making it more difficult for him to adjust to the flight of the ball.. If AB did that all 6 refs would have thrown the flag.

I just don’t think it affected the play. Would’ve been a harsh call.

Im anti penalty unless the call is obvious though so keep that in mind.

I see DBs do what that guy did all the time.

The WR needs to make a play there. He could have very easily.