Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not embarsssing if the guy didn't want to play here. It is embarsssing if you brought a 1 year 12 million dollar deal to the situation though. He'd never admit that.

It is embarrassing in that it illustrates that the luster and allure of playing for the dallas cowboys is gone. We are no different in the eyes of this generation of NFL player than the Bengals, Lions........or Chiefs. It is embarrassing in that he was plan A to replace Dez and we failed. But, the most embarrassing part is that it made news at all. Now, the teams plans for Dez are out in the open. Any team looking for a WR now knows that is our likely play in the first round. So, watch somebody jump us on Ridley if he starts falling past 15.

If Sammy was too expensive, saying we couldn't fit him in our salary cap structure at that price is not embarrassing at all. We just did it with Hitchens. We didn't re-sign him b/c we couldn't afford him.

jnday

Reaction score
Brainless in YOUR eyes. While I'm dissatisfied with the team through much of the last two decades, I personally don't think it's wise to be too judgemental about someone who's better at it than I am. Do you actually think you could do a better job?
I think that there are several posters here that could do a better job than GM Jerry. It wouldn't be a big accomplishment at all.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
They are “castoffs” because they were free agents their previous team hadn’t re-signed? I assume you realize every free agent is in that same situation, right?

No it's because their previous teams didn't even want them on their roster anymore.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Brainless in YOUR eyes. While I'm dissatisfied with the team through much of the last two decades, I personally don't think it's wise to be too judgemental about someone who's better at it than I am. Do you actually think you could do a better job?
Yes because I'd hire someone who is competent.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
To be honest the front office owes Romo and Demarcus Ware apologies for wasting their talented careers. At least Ware got outta here in time to get a ring but Tony had the misfortune of having Garrett involved in his career. Yeah Tony got payed plenty but he also sacrificed his body plenty.

Actually they don't owe apologies to Romo and Ware...because Stephen and Jerry have already lamented the fact that they didn't win with them. They've already acknowledged they should have built better teams around those two guys. In essence, they've already apologized. Many times, in fact. So no. They don't owe them any more apologies.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You guys are the biggest bunch of homers I've every seen in my life. You think these signings put us on par with the Eagles, Rams, or Vikings? If anything we are closer now to the bottom than the top.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
You guys are the biggest bunch of homers I've every seen in my life. You think these signings put us on par with the Eagles, Rams, or Vikings? If anything we are closer now to the bottom than the top.

Who said that? Don't put words in people's mouths. Not a single person has argued that these free agent signings put the Cowboys on par with the Eagles, Rams or Vikings. Not one.

If anything puts the Cowboys on par with those teams, it is the players they've drafted. Not the free agents they've signed. And we'll all get to see how that works out this year during the season. I like the Cowboys' chances - especially if they continue to draft well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that there are several posters here that could do a better job than GM Jerry. It wouldn't be a big accomplishment at all.

Rich = smart in some people's eyes. Because someone has amassed wealth, they have to be an unquestionable genius.

Jerry might be great at business, but the man also makes mistakes by the truckload. Let's face it, the NFL as it currently operates, is a "can't lose" business. That's why billionaires are breaking down the doors throwing money to try to join the party.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Rich = smart in some people's eyes. Because someone has amassed wealth, they have to be an unquestionable genius.

Jerry might be great at business, but the man also makes mistakes by the truckload. Let's face it, the NFL as it currently operates, is a "can't lose" business. That's why billionaires are breaking down the doors throwing money to try to join the party.

Anyone who ever became rich makes mistakes by the truckload. The difference between them and others is they don't let those mistakes define them. They keep moving forward as if the mistakes never happened. I have several very wealthy friends. To a man, they will tell you they've made more mistakes than good decisions. They just don't stop because of it. And that is why it is so ridiculous for fans to expect Jerry to step back. It's not in the DNA of a very successful man to allow failure to define him, and to stop trying. It's just not how they are wired.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it's because their previous teams didn't even want them on their roster anymore.

Apparently you don't understand how free agency works. When someone becomes a free agent, it's because their contract expires, so even if the previous team wants them back, they have no automatic claim, and therefore the player can shop his services for what they feel is the best situation. For example, NE indicated it wanted Fleming back, but apparently Flemming found something he wanted with Dallas, whether more money, or the hope of a better playing situation with Dallas having an O-Line opening, or whatever the case. And even for a player like Hurns who was released, it's not uncommon for teams to let players go they otherwise would like to keep because of salary cap or contractual issues. That's just how life is in the NFL.

All I can presume is you only see benefit in free agency if the there is a big splash, high profile signing - at least when it comes to the Cowboys. The reality is that is not the norm for the vast majority of free agent signings. My guess is you understand this when other teams make these kind of moves, but ignore it with the Cowboys because it gives you a chance to play the indignant fan and gripe and complain and pretend you are smarter than fans who think the Cowboys made some decent moves.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
Yes let's all apologize to the morons who haven't placed us in position to win a sixth SB in the last 22 years!!!!

No, they don't deserve an apology. BS

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Are there really fans claiming we have caught up to the Eagles, or is this you imagining something to complain about.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who ever became rich makes mistakes by the truckload. The difference between them and others is they don't let those mistakes define them. They keep moving forward as if the mistakes never happened. I have several very wealthy friends. To a man, they will tell you they've made more mistakes than good decisions. They just don't stop because of it. And that is why it is so ridiculous for fans to expect Jerry to step back. It's not in the DNA of a very successful man to allow failure to define him, and to stop trying. It's just not how they are wired.

And the difference between them and Jerry Jones is that they can actually lose. They're not operating in the fantasyland of the NFL. The real world rules are different. In real business, you're swimming with sharks, no safety net. You screw up bad enough? You're done. You're either fired by your bosses or out of business.

And the flaw in both Jerry's and your thinking is putting ego ahead of all else. Stepping back is only viewed as failure where ego is involved. Foolish pride. And it's indicative of the biggest issue. It's not about getting to the goal, it's getting the credit. Selfishness rather than selflessness. And it's the same pattern that I've watched take people down from lofty perches before too. It's more about them than it is about the business.

kskboys

Reaction score
Apparently you don't understand how free agency works. When someone becomes a free agent, it's because their contract expires, so even if the previous team wants them back, they have no automatic claim, and therefore the player can shop his services for what they feel is the best situation. For example, NE indicated it wanted Fleming back, but apparently Flemming found something he wanted with Dallas, whether more money, or a better the hope of a better playing situation with Dallas having an O-Line opening, or whatever the case. And even for a player like Hurns who was released, it's not uncommon for teams to let players go they otherwise would like to keep because of salary cap or contractual issues. That's just how life is in the NFL.

All I can presume is you only see benefit in free agency if the there is a big splash, high profile signing - at least when it comes to the Cowboys. The reality is that is not the norm for the vast majority of free agent signings. My guess is you understand this when other teams make these kind of moves, but ignore with the Cowboys because it gives you a chance to come out an play the indignant fan and gripe and complain and pretend you are smarter than fans who think the Cowboys made some decent moves.
Yeah, I never heard of Suh visiting here!!!!

And yes, NE is the place to go to try and win a championship. However, it's also the place to go to be replaced at a moment's notice and it's not a lot of fun otherwise. No loyalty.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes because I'd hire someone who is competent.
X gadzillions. I would never be the GM if I had the cash to buy a football team. That is quite simply a very dumb move.

And sadly enough, yes, I could've done better. I don't like that fact at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the difference between them and Jerry Jones is that they can actually lose. They're not operating in the fantasyland of the NFL. The real world rules are different. In real business, you're swimming with sharks, no safety net. You screw up bad enough? You're done. You're either fired by your bosses or out of business.

And the flaw in both Jerry's and your thinking is putting ego ahead of all else. Stepping back is only viewed as failure where ego is involved. Foolish pride. And it's indicative of the biggest issue. It's not about getting to the goal, it's getting the credit. Selfishness rather than selflessness. And it's the same pattern that I've watched take people down from lofty perches before too. It's more about them than it is about the business.

There is some truth to this, but there are teams that have struggled financially, as Dallas was when Jerry bought the team, and as things are today there isn't another NFL team that is worth as much as the Cowboys, so even if there are advantages to NFL ownership, it can be screwed up, and all teams don't rake in the revenue Dallas does.

Jerry sucks as a GM, no question, but it would be wrong to suggest he hasn't been a successful business man.

Reaction score
Things change pretty quick in this league. Couple bounces here and there and being able to pull out close games more times than not can have a 9 win talent team win 13 and homefield. Not saying the Eagles didn't earn it because they absolutely did. Predicting outcomes is near impossible. The team you think you need to catch in the off-season may not be the team you end up chasing in December.

This time last year and the NFCE was trying to catch up to the Cowboys. NFL games and seasons are very fragile. A few close game losses early in the season and a team some predicted to win the division goes 3-13. Vice versa.

I like the moves you've made so far. Wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys win the NFCE. Parity reigns supreme. Expect the unexpected.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I never heard of Suh visiting here!!!!

And yes, NE is the place to go to try and win a championship. However, it's also the place to go to be replaced at a moment's notice and it's not a lot of fun otherwise. No loyalty.

Suh represents another point some fans ignore, and that is there are salary cap limitations on teams such that they can't go out and sign whoever they want, and that the Cowboys don't automatically have a choice to acquire any player they might like. The free agent is the one holding the cards, and if he finds a team that wants to throw a huge contract at him, or if he wants to live near wherever his hometown is, or his playing situation would be better somewhere else, Dallas won't be in the picture, and those are factors that are outside the Cowboys control.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is some truth to this, but there are teams that have struggled financially, as Dallas was when Jerry bought the team, and as things are today there isn't another NFL team that is worth as much as the Cowboys, so even if there are advantages to NFL ownership, it can be screwed up, and all teams don't rake in the revenue Dallas does.

To such a degree? No, certainly not. And for all of my criticisms, I certainly acknowledge Jerry Jones is a smart and successful businessman. He's made both himself and other owners a lot of money, and took guys like Mike Brown kicking and screaming out of the stone ages.

In fact, I think it was shameful that more of these rich guys that Jones has made much richer didn't stand by him in his fight against Goodell last year.

I know what their reasoning was, in terms of being a United league, but I still think they made the wrong choice to side with a guy who costs them money over a guy who makes them money.

But what I am saying is that the business dynamic of the league guarantees success. As long as you can get public funding for your stadiums and pocket half of the TV money, you can't lose.

Jerry sucks as a GM, no question, but it would be wrong to suggest he hasn't been a successful business man.

Again, that's something I would never suggest. I just wish he would focus on the part he's good at and leave the other stuff to those more qualified. "Socks to jocks" just doesn't work. No man is an island.