Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that true? I've just heard speculation at this point....because I believe if they did overspend they should've kept overspending if they really wanted him.

Stephen said point blank that the reason Watkins chose KC over Dallas was not money. So, we can infer pretty reasonably that we offered Watkins something in the 16 million per range. Watkins just liked the offensive situation in KC better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the team that gave up two 1sts for Roy Williams. Their evaluation of WR's and their value, except for one lucky shot at Owens, is suspect. The last thing I want these people doing is taking a WR in the 1st.

Taking a WR in the first round might be the only way we get a decent one b/c Stephen and Jerry have a full time scouting department evaluating college prospects. Who evaluates current NFL players for the cowboys to determine fit? On most teams, thats the GM. But, we don't have a traditional GM keeping up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It would have been an expensive disaster b/c our QB hasn't proven he can get the ball down field with any accuracy. We need to see how Dak improves this season before doubling down at the WR position.
I think Dak needs a great supporting cast of hogs up front...coupled with a stud RB(Zeke) and receivers that can get open. I agree though,and I'm not knocking Dak,but he's one of those system QB'S that must have the right scheme/players or he would look very average. If things click,like his rookie season..he looks totally different. That's why this draft is so important. I think we got it right in free agency,but we wont know until preseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would have been an expensive disaster b/c our QB hasn't proven he can get the ball down field with any accuracy. We need to see how Dak improves this season before doubling down at the WR position.

There's a lot of truth here. Until Prescott improves upon his own issues, who they're lining up at receiver won't matter all that much.

You can sign the fastest guy in the world, but if the quarterback can't out the ball on him consistentl, it's a waste. Dak can "miss" other receivers just as well as he missed Bryant plenty of times in 2017.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bottom line is this .......lot name calling over last couple weeks about FO not doing squat. Many of us were saying it was too late for upgrades via free agency including myself. Just chance to admit I was wrong. They obviously had a plan A, B and maybe C. Just didn't give it time to play out ........

Signing scrubs is no plan

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is streaky I noticed...with him its all about his confidence and getting off to a fast start or he tends to hold back. That's the difference between guys like him and Aaron Rodgers etc. Love Dak...BUT..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not sure we need to rush to judgement just yet. Good or bad...a solid effort is being put into motion..ITS ONLY MARCH.
And their initial big move to throw huge money at Watkins would have been a disaster.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dak needs a great supporting cast of hogs up front...coupled with a stud RB(Zeke) and receivers that can get open. I agree though,and I'm not knocking Dak,but he's one of those system QB'S that must have the right scheme/players or he would look very average. If things click,like his rookie season..he looks totally different. That's why this draft is so important. I think we got it right in free agency,but we wont know until preseason.

I chalk up his rookie season to opposing defenses having no film on him or time to figure out what his weaknesses are in the pocket. The second year is more telling b/c DC's have caught up and dissected his game for an off season. The teams that put this offense in neutral are the ones who can man-up on the wrs and clog the middle of the field where he feasted as a rookie. It is now on Dak to adapt and make defenses pay for their overcommittment to the short field. The open question is can he make the throws? Even when we had all hands on deck last year, the offense wasn't pretty. Zeke had one long run all year and was grinding out 4 YPC the rest of the season. Dak's has to throw the ball a lot better or Zeke is going to have another rough year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I chalk up his rookie season to opposing defenses having no film on him or time to figure out what his weaknesses are in the pocket. The second year is more telling b/c DC's have caught up and dissected his game for an off season. The teams that put this offense in neutral are the ones who can man-up on the wrs and clog the middle of the field where he feasted as a rookie. It is now on Dak to adapt and make defenses pay for their overcommittment to the short field. The open question is can he make the throws? Even when we had all hands on deck last year, the offense wasn't pretty. Zeke had one long run all year and was grinding out 4 YPC the rest of the season. Dak's has to throw the ball a lot better or Zeke is going to have another rough year.
I think we know he can make those throws..we saw it in College and in his rookie year. I think with him he gets down on himself and goes into a shell,and holds back those quick decisions...rather than let it fly,he thinks too much and that's when those pick six's happen...that split second hesitation. He needs to get back to just playing ball and not allow things in his head. He has all the tools..he just needs to trust the play.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen said point blank that the reason Watkins chose KC over Dallas was not money. So, we can infer pretty reasonably that we offered Watkins something in the 16 million per range. Watkins just liked the offensive situation in KC better.
And a rook QB that hasn't played enough yet. If I were him, I would have taken the KC gig too. They have better WR's and a TE that demands attention. Not to mention a double threat RB. If Watkins can stay healthy and Mahomes lives up to expectations, that could be one tough offense to handle. Plus they're not talking about Reid on the hot seat like they are Garrett with a bunch of new position coaches.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we know he can make those throws..we saw it in College and in his rookie year. I think with him he gets down on himself and goes into a shell,and holds back those quick decisions...rather than let it fly,he thinks too much and that's when those pick six's happen...that split second hesitation. He needs to get back to just playing ball and not allow things in his head. He has all the tools..he just needs to trust the play.
I watched him his last two seasons at Miss St and saw a lot of what we saw last season. He struggled against the better D's and had to use his legs more because they wanted him passing. They knew.

He has had this consistent accuracy issue as long as he's been playing which is why it took injuries for him to get to the QB1 spot and his best year passing was 2016. Inconsistency is the number 1 enemy of all QB's. It's not that they can't make all the throws but they make the wrong throws at the wrong time. Dak missed the open receiver too many times in 2017.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Still not the most reliable source. He could be trying to save face. They have lowballed everyone to this point...i'd be shocked if Watkins wasn't lowballed as well.

Hadenough

Reaction score
You act like the team is just huddled around Garrett for the entire halftime when in reality it's the coordinators that are going over things with the players. Yes Garrett will say something and talk for about a minute but then it's the coordinators going over stuff with their units.
Garrett is responsible for making sure the coordinators have put together the right game plan. He should also be talking to them if something on the field isn't working. Kind of like watching Green and Bell get beat like a drum and he just sat there quietly chewing gum saying he would have to go back and look at film. Somebody needs to grab Garrett by his freaking throat and collapse his windpipe. Watching the Cowboys get raped a few times with absolutely no answer was just unacceptable.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Do not fault the OP or the others that are apologizing. This is what happens when fans have dropped their expectations over the years and their team starts to act like a real NFL team and even mediocre moves look great.
I don't know if it's apologizing as much as it is acknowledging the massive overreaction and negativity.