Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is embarrassing in that it illustrates that the luster and allure of playing for the dallas cowboys is gone. We are no different in the eyes of this generation of NFL player than the Bengals, Lions........or Chiefs. It is embarrassing in that he was plan A to replace Dez and we failed. But, the most embarrassing part is that it made news at all. Now, the teams plans for Dez are out in the open. Any team looking for a WR now knows that is our likely play in the first round. So, watch somebody jump us on Ridley if he starts falling past 15.

If Sammy was too expensive, saying we couldn't fit him in our salary cap structure at that price is not embarrassing at all. We just did it with Hitchens. We didn't re-sign him b/c we couldn't afford him.
Ehhh I just disagree. I'm coming to grips that Stephen is more like Jerry than we may think. It makes absolutely no sense to go all in on Sammy but when you miss out on him go cheap on everyone else.

ESisback

Reaction score
I think that there are several posters here that could do a better job than GM Jerry. It wouldn't be a big accomplishment at all.

He's GM'd this franchise into mediocrity the last two decades, and there ARE several really sharp dudes/dudettes that post here, so anything's possible.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Garrett is responsible for making sure the coordinators have put together the right game plan. He should also be talking to them if something on the field isn't working. Kind of like watching Green and Bell get beat like a drum and he just sat there quietly chewing gum saying he would have to go back and look at film. Somebody needs to grab Garrett by his freaking throat and collapse his windpipe. Watching the Cowboys get raped a few times with absolutely no answer was just unacceptable.

It's so amazing that fans who never spent a single second in any capacity in the NFL always think they have all the answers. First the "game plans" are done early in the week BEFORE the game. Second, during halftime there's not an abundance of time. The teams have about 10 minutes before they break and go back up and give the players a few minutes to warm up again. Also during halftime there are players that need to get retaped and/or be checked out by the trainers all while the coordinators are making their adjustments.

Here's a little something I know you didn't think of. Your example of the falcons game with Green and Bell, if Garrett did what you said and just moved say Witten of to the left side on every play to help out that now takes a receiver out of the pattern which makes the defense that much easier to defend the outside receivers. Now if Garrett only puts Witten there on passing plays then that is just a huge tip off that a passing play is coming. If Garrett leaves Witten over there on all plays that also has a direct impact on which running plays will work so that limits that too. I've sad it many times before. If these fan wannabe coaches were so skilled in coaching some team would have heard about all of their great talent and they wouldn't be here playing wannabe coaches but would be actual coaches.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes let's all apologize to the morons who haven't placed us in position to win a sixth SB in the last 22 years!!!!

No, they don't deserve an apology. BS

I don't actually think the OP meant a true apology, per say. Perhaps it's just an acknowledgement that MAYBE there's a need to back off a tad on the end of the world scenarios.

GORICO

Reaction score
Be the first to say yes, I owe them one.Think frustration got the best of us ...........It's not how you start, how you finish. So to Stephen, Jerry, and McClay .........job well done.
wait a sec..ok they got hurns..an upgrade at #2....even the other non starters they signed to slap on the holes really is not much.....not quite yet willing to apologize...if they get a solid FS like Tre Boston then i will apologize

GORICO

Reaction score
It's so amazing that fans who never spent a single second in any capacity in the NFL always think they have all the answers. First the "game plans" are done early in the week BEFORE the game. Second, during halftime there's not an abundance of time. The teams have about 10 minutes before they break and go back up and give the players a few minutes to warm up again. Also during halftime there are players that need to get retaped and/or be checked out by the trainers all while the coordinators are making their adjustments.

Here's a little something I know you didn't think of. Your example of the falcons game with Green and Bell, if Garrett did what you said and just moved say Witten of to the left side on every play to help out that now takes a receiver out of the pattern which makes the defense that much easier to defend the outside receivers. Now if Garrett only puts Witten there on passing plays then that is just a huge tip off that a passing play is coming. If Garrett leaves Witten over there on all plays that also has a direct impact on which running plays will work so that limits that too. I've sad it many times before. If these fan wannabe coaches were so skilled in coaching some team would have heard about all of their great talent and they wouldn't be here playing wannabe coaches but would be actual coaches.
gj--- oh man we got a Garrett Homer in the mix...ha ha j/k

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
gj--- oh man we got a Garrett Homer in the mix...ha ha j/k

No an anti fan wannabe coaches who think they know everything about coaching but haven't spent a single second in any capacity in the NFL. I'll bet that because you watched every episode of ER or MASH that you think you could be a doctor too.

GORICO

Reaction score
No an anti fan wannabe coaches who think they know everything about coaching but haven't spent a single second in any capacity in the NFL. I'll bet that because you watched every episode of ER or MASH that you think you could be a doctor too.
gj--- as a matter of fact..after watching every episode of ER and Mash i became the surgeon general

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ehhh I just disagree. I'm coming to grips that Stephen is more like Jerry than we may think. It makes absolutely no sense to go all in on Sammy but when you miss out on him go cheap on everyone else.

Of course, they weren't really all in on Sammy because they backed off when the price tag got too high, but I do see your point. Obviously they were willing to pay him a lot more than they have shown they will pay for others. But I'm sure they don't see every position and situation the same. My guess is if they had signed Sammy, Dez would have been released. They don't have that kind of trade off with other positions. And not all available players at all positions require that kind of money anyway, plus I'm sure they don't feel the need an elite player at every position. An example would be at O-Line where I'm sure they didn't want to add to the already huge amount of money being spent on salaries, and probably felt they didn't have to have another elite player to shore up the unit.

ESisback

Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys are embracing the "It all starts in the trenches" slant, especially the DL. Great WRs are fine, but not the #1 ingredient to a successful team. Protect your QB and get their QB!

Sydla

Reaction score

And yet, somehow, someway other coaching staffs use that 10 minutes of half time to actually make adjustments.

Your post is what I would expect from a Garrett supporter. Just one excuse after another.

Sydla

Reaction score

So it's impossible for fans to understand or know that a particular coach just isn't that good?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So it's impossible for fans to understand or know that a particular coach just isn't that good?

Other than those that want to whine about Garrett, why haven't we heard just an overwhelming out cry from the analysts and former NFL players and coaches and GM's on TV just screaming that Garrett should get fired. Why, because they understand that all coaches have their own style and since the players and coaches under Garret aren't questioning him and because these same analysts, players,coaches and GM's know ALL coaches make mistakes, even seasoned veteran coaches.

ESisback

Reaction score

Of course not, but some folks lay it on so thick, you'd think Sling Blade was patrolling the sideline. There are hundreds of variables, some even beyond the coach. How many out there would make us a consistent playoff contender working for Booger?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Anyone seen my scalpel?

kskboys

Reaction score
There is some truth to this, but there are teams that have struggled financially, as Dallas was when Jerry bought the team, and as things are today there isn't another NFL team that is worth as much as the Cowboys, so even if there are advantages to NFL ownership, it can be screwed up, and all teams don't rake in the revenue Dallas does.

Jerry sucks as a GM, no question, but it would be wrong to suggest he hasn't been a successful business man.
Sure, but no one is arguing that.

Reminds me of that saying, the guilty fleeth when no one pursueth!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Anyone seen my scalpel?
Things change pretty quick in this league. Couple bounces here and there and being able to pull out close games more times than not can have a 9 win talent team win 13 and homefield. Not saying the Eagles didn't earn it because they absolutely did. Predicting outcomes is near impossible. The team you think you need to catch in the off-season may not be the team you end up chasing in December.

This time last year and the NFCE was trying to catch up to the Cowboys. NFL games and seasons are very fragile. A few close game losses early in the season and a team some predicted to win the division goes 3-13. Vice versa.

I like the moves you've made so far. Wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys win the NFCE. Parity reigns supreme. Expect the unexpected.
Of course, that's obvious.

That's why you set your team up to control the things you can, the LOS and ST's. The Eagles won the super bowl when they traded for Jernigan and signed a decent backup QB. That interior pressure is the worst type to deal w/ for a QB.