Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't call them garbage.......couple are actually upgrades

Agreed.The O-Lineman was particularly a need. I think some fans can’t see the value in anyone that isn’t a high profile player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. They finally signed a few castoffs which is what we all knew they would do anyway. This group could end up being no better than last years. You can call them upgrades if you want but these signings are not closing any gap between the Cowboys and the top teams.

They are “castoffs” because they were free agents their previous team hadn’t re-signed? I assume you realize every free agent is in that same situation, right?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not quite prepared to offer my apology at this juncture, despite being encouraged by the FO's actual efforts to improve. An exceptional draft should be all it would take to have me extending my hand with an olive branch, though. It also wouldn't be a bad time for us to give some thought to giving reasonable credit where it's due. Still, I'll anxiously await many more capable efforts by our FO to elevate our beloved team towards contention.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it’s a upgrade over what we have now then its a good thing.

Right, although a microscopic upgrade wouldn’t mean much. I think Fleming is probably a considerable upgrade though, and the others have a chance to have a real impact too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

Be the first to say yes, I owe them one.Think frustration got the best of us ...........It's not how you start, how you finish. So to Stephen, Jerry, and McClay .........job well done.
FA isn't won in the first few days.

Some of us knew that while others overreacted.

I'm very thankful the Cowboys did not overpay for anyone. As usual some of those deals were uber crazy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just to be clear........the apology I'm speaking of has ZERO TO DO with the regular season. But the overaction to FO NOT signing any free agents within the first week and a half. Although many some poster didn't overact .a lot of us did. Sorry for the confusion.....
Talk about irony. There is no confusion within this thread. So, do not apologize for some of your fellow members’ responses.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Right, although a microscopic upgrade wouldn’t mean much. I think Fleming is probably a considerable upgrade though, and the others have a chance to have a real impact too.
If Fleming can start that’s great. Others hopefully provide depth.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not quite prepared to offer my apology at this juncture, despite being encouraged by the FO's actual efforts to improve. An exceptional draft might be all it would take to have me extending my hand with an olive branch, however. It also wouldn't be a bad time to give some thought to giving credit where it's due. I'll be anxiously awaiting many more capable efforts by the Cowboys to elevate our beloved team into contention.

I suspect what the OP was referring to was fans prematurely coming down on the team for not making those actual efforts you mentioned. How much impact those efforts have on the team is a determination that will have to wait 7-8 months to be made.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They are “castoffs” because they were free agents their previous team hadn’t re-signed? I assume you realize every free agent is in that same situation, right?

Hurns was cut - castoff
Thomas was non tendered - castoff
Thompson - JAG
Fleming - hasn’t signed yet
Martin - JAG & hasn’t signed yet

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Fleming can start that’s great. Others hopefully provide depth.

I suspect Hurns will start too. How they work in Thompson is going to interesting to see. I assume his speed is the man reason they signed him, but there are a lot of receivers to spread the ball to.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I suspect Hurns will start too. How they work in Thompson is going to interesting to see. I assume his speed is the man reason they signed him, but there are a lot of receivers to spread the ball to.
The speed is what we needed. Stretching the defenses is what we need to get them out of the box. Run takes off and we will see Beez open more in short game. Switzer will be a bigger help this year. Wonder if they cut T-Will? He maybe can play the slot?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect what the OP was referring to was fans prematurely coming down on the team for not making those actual efforts you mentioned. How much impact those efforts have on the team is a determination that will have to wait 7-8 months to be made.

Sounds about right, although I'm not so sure our coming down on the FO was totally uncalled for, considering their insufficient dealings of the past. Like many of us, I'm relieved to see these recent efforts being made to help compensate for our past failings. Kudos to them for their recent efforts, though. I'll be faithfully hoping that they'll continue to exercise their newfound "mojo" as the draft approaches. We're off to a decent start. Thank God for that.

Last edited:

Section446

Reaction score
I'll apologize after the draft if they don't do something stupid. So far, this off-season has still been a failure as everyone around us has improved, and we've stayed still.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
in all fairness...the Rams dismantled many teams last year and made opposing coaching staffs look silly.So while I feel your anguish and dismay...at some point you just have to tip your hat to the other team and coaches for kicking your butt. We got beat and the difference wasn't coaching...it was a decisive arse kicking in the second half. We can always be better,but that wasn't on the staff. We simply lacked the horses.
If it was just the rams....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurns was cut - castoff
Thomas was non tendered - castoff
Thompson - JAG
Fleming - hasn’t signed yet
Martin - JAG & hasn’t signed yet

Even high quality players can get realeased to clear cap space. That’s part of the shuffle teams have to deal with to manage the salary cap. As for Thomas - Yes, he’s JAG - just depth - but I assume you do realize every signing can’t be a notable deal, and every team needs depth, right? Same with Thompson, although he brings an element of speed not currently found in our receiving group, plus he has been a quality kickoff return man in the past. Fleming and Martin, if they sign as reported, will result be notable upgrades in tha the One gaping hole can be filled, and there will be much better depth than last year.

What some of these signings also do is narrow down what we have to find in the draft. For example, the need to use a top pick on an OLineman or WR isn’t as urgent now, so it may free us up to get a LB we desperately need.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'll hold off until the season is almost over. I remember last year thinking carroll, Moore, and paea would be some decent contributors for the team and felt like I needed to give credit to the FO for waiting a while.....we saw how that turned out lol

I'm not sure anyone thought that Carroll was a good signing last year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Even high quality players can get realeased to clear cap space. That’s part of the shuffle teams have to deal with to manage the salary cap. As for Thomas - Yes, he’s JAG - just depth - but I assume you do realize every signing can’t be a notable deal, and every team needs depth, right? Same with Thompson, although he brings an element of speed not currently found in our receiving group, plus he has been a quality kickoff return man in the past. Fleming and Martin, if they sign as reported, will result be notable upgrades in tha the One gaping hole can be filled, and there will be much better depth than last year.

What some of these signings also do is narrow down what we have to find in the draft. For example, the need to use a top pick on an OLineman or WR isn’t as urgent now, so it may free us up to get a LB we desperately need.

And that’s what they do every year. Sign castoffs and JAGs for depth while some fans cling to whatever scrap of positive news they can’t find about said players. I certainly don’t feel like I need to apologize for recognizing this is just more of the same and it isn’t making the team anywhere close to being better.