Raise your hand if you owe the FO an apology

Verdict

Reaction score
I think if Hurns is healthy you guys are going to like him as a WR. At the very least he is a very good #2/slot receiver and would be a better #1 than Dez. If they use him right he will be a very good, solid pickup at a reasonable cost.

I am excited about the speed element the FB brings to the table. He could also serve in an H Back role and if we actually use him in the passing game it gives this offense another gear.

I like the attempt to get speed at receiver with thompson. Even if he doesn't catch many balls the defense will not be able to just ignore the deep ball anymore. This could be a boom or bust pick, but at the cost ita not a lot of money wagered.

I like the fact that the team seems serious about potentially moving on from Dez. Even if they don't move on from Dez he is put on notice. He feels the heat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds about right, although I'm not so sure our coming down on the FO was totally uncalled for, considering their insufficient dealings of the past. Like many of us, I'm relieved to see these recent efforts being made to help compensate for our past failings. Kudos to them for their recent efforts, though. I'll be faithfully hoping that they'll continue to exercise their newfound "mojo" as the draft approaches. We're off to a good start. Thank God for that.

I would say worrying about what they would do wasn’t uncalled for, but actually condemning them for this year before the facts were known was. There will always be time to complain after the results are known, but too often people want to get a jump on it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Be the first to say yes, I owe them one.Think frustration got the best of us ...........It's not how you start, how you finish. So to Stephen, Jerry, and McClay .........job well done.

The frustration was understandable. Patience is a virtue. They had a plan all along. Stayed away from hugely expensive FA.s like Watkins and Robinson. Signed Hurns for way less money for equal stats. The hatred for JG and the FO on here is pervasive and a feeding frenzy for the down trodden. Oh ye like sheep

GMO415

Reaction score
Never apologise...it's a sign of weekness. JK
Just because we added what appears to be "better" talent doesn't automatically suggest we'll have "better schemes" or "better use of talent"

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that’s what they do every year. Sign castoffs and JAGs for depth while some fans cling to whatever scrap of positive news they can’t find about said players. I certainly don’t feel like I need to apologize for recognizing this is just more of the same and it isn’t making the team anywhere close to being better.

Again every free agent any team signs was in that situation either because their previous team released them or chose not to re-sign them. That’s how it works - that’s how free agents become free agents. In any case, it’s nonsense to condemn what the Cowboys have done and are doing in free agency this year because you don’t like what they did in past years. It’s like saying last year’s draft sucked because the 2011 draft sucked. It’s illogical.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never apologise...it's a sign of weekness. JK
Just because we added what appears to be "better" talent doesn't automatically suggest we'll have "better schemes" or "better use of talent"

No it doesn’t, but I believe the OP was only referring to free agency and how many people prematurely condemned the team for not participating in it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I would say worrying about what they would do wasn’t uncalled for, but actually condemning them for this year before the facts were known was. There will always be time to complain after the results are known, but too often people want to get a jump on it.

Fair enough. As fans, we are known to be an emotional lot. That being the case, it was highly predictable that complaints would be forthcoming. In retrospect, I'm totally willing to take a deep breath and give the FO credit for waking up before our woes got any farther out of hand. Mea culpa. ;)

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We absolutely improved the receiving corps with a guy who was a lower end #1 in Jax who catches with his hands and does very good with YAK, another guy with real speed who catches the ball, both known as good blockers. The players and the competition will make that group much better. More importantly, Dez has someone else to draw a little attention.

We absolutely improved the OL situation. Whether we find a starting guard in the draft or not, Fleming and Collins are better than Collins and Cooper/Green. From Smith to Collins to Fred to Martin, that takes us back to 4 guys side by side who are elite. That is better than having a weak link right in the middle.

We are definitely better at LB depth in that Joe Thomas can actually start in the middle for spot play or injury at a higher level than what we had last year when the Hitchins was out, so he’s an upgrade over Wilber...still need to find a better LB.

Start the year healthy with a focused Zeke, no drama, and this team is already better than last year with the loss of Hitchins being the only weak spot.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Some fans will continue to whine and moan no matter what the team does. Why they call themselves fans of the team is beyond my realm of thinking. Because we haven't won a SB in a few years? Meh, we've won five, the Pats have the bragging rights over the past 10 years big deal. History is written. Whining and moaning won't change it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
well there are a lot of rumors on Fleming and now Martin..when do these things get inked into Official? sources say blah blah blah..lets see the DC website say this? coming to terms and signing are two different things , remember that debacle with the Mavs signing Deandre Jordan, he was a Mavs for all of a day and boom the clippers persuaded him not to honor the verbal commitment and we lost him.set the mavs back 3 years now..had he came to the mavs others would have followed..I sure all this talk isn't solely on rumor or someone will have egg on their faces..

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Again every free agent any team signs was in that situation either because their previous team released them or chose not to re-sign them. That’s how it works - that’s how free agents become free agents. In any case, it’s nonsense to condemn what the Cowboys have done and are doing in free agency this year because you don’t like what they did in past years. It’s like saying last year’s draft sucked because the 2011 draft sucked. It’s illogical.

No it’s not illogical at all. Why would anyone think these JAGs coached by this staff will be any different than all the other free agent JAGs signed in the past that this staff couldn’t get anything out of. These guys are not making this team any better. They are just filling empty lockers and that doesn’t get me excited.

Carson

Reaction score
I’m pretty excited right now. We’ve filled several holes and are no longer handcuffed entering the draft.

I still give us around a high B right now. An immediate A+ with a MLB OR FS.

- Replacing FB and Smith - Check
- Replacing Wilber and a guy who is a better linebacker - Check (Will gladly eat my crow on this guy)
- Cheaper version of back of for Looney - Check
- Playmaking receiver - Check
- Starting caliber RT / Swing tackle - Check

In a perfect world, we’d still target Bowman/Johnson and a FS. However I believe Dallas is content with their staring safeties and will draft a MLB round one (Vander Esch, Evans).

We did not break the bank or get the top guys, but have signed solid depth and players who know this league.

You likely get Fleming, Hurns, Thomas and Olawale getting significant snaps

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough. As fans, we are known to be an emotional lot. That being the case, it was highly predictable that complaints would be forthcoming. In retrospect, I'm fully prepared to take a deep breath and give the FO credit for waking up before our woes got any farther out of hand. Mea culpa! ;)

My approach is always to let it play out first. Honestly I didn’t expect the Cowboys to do as much as they have, and I would have admitted as much in advance, but I wasn’t going to put out any condemnation before the facts were known. We’ve all lived long enough to know that things dont always play out the way our minds think.

The funny thing is even as fans have been upset about the lack of quality free agent signings the last number of years, there are still fans who will complain about Jerry always getting in a bind because he always signs big splash guys to big contracts. It shows fans who want to complain will, even if there aren’t facts behind the complaint. Bottom line is complaints can be legitimate if based on facts, but like you say, fans are generally emotional, and as such they often let emotion guide them rather than reason.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Some fans will continue to whine and moan no matter what the team does. Why they call themselves fans of the team is beyond my realm of thinking. Because we haven't won a SB in a few years? Meh, we've won five, the Pats have the bragging rights over the past 10 years big deal. History is written. Whining and moaning won't change it.
It's quite a bit more stark than that.

We haven't won a DIVISIONAL round playoff game in 23 years.

That is beyond futile.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
When we fire Garrett and he goes to some high school and makes it to the state championship .. i might apologize... like that's going to happen.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I would have to apologize. It's looking ok right now. Not a complete dumpster fire that was a few days ago

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it’s not illogical at all. Why would anyone think these JAGs coached by this staff will be any different than all the other free agent JAGs signed in the past that this staff couldn’t get anything out of. These guys are not making this team any better. They are just filling empty lockers and that doesn’t get me excited.

Condemning something that happens today because you didn’t like what happened yesterday is illogical. Logic dictates looking at different events individually, not mindlessly saying everything is the same as yesterday without any effort at thought and reason.

In any case, a starting OT on a Super Bowl team and a starting NFL WR are more than JAGs, and they dont have to be stars to have a notable impact. The Cowboys already have 3 All Pro O Lineman, so there was no need to go into salary cap Hell to try and sign another, or give away draft picks in a trade for one. We needed solid players to fill O-Line needs, and that’s what we got.

I honestly think you are one of those fans that can’t see or understand that it doesn’t take a big name, high profile signing to help a team, and I also think you have no concept of how much these signings improve our flexibility in the draft to take the best player instead of possibly having to sacrifice some quality to fill needs.