Ramsey playing corner

IrishAnto

Reaction score
He has similar indicators as did Jones in the previous draft. You wouldn't be tempted to put a matched pair of quality safeties in this Cowboy secondary?

They both would have flex to cornerback as well.

True but Jones didn't get picked 4th overall.

I like the idea of Ramsey paired with Jones and the flexibility that would bring, but is that the best value for the team having two 1st round picks at safety (which is where they are best suited)?

In truth I don't see anyone that we would pick at 4 having a significant impact straight away, which seems to be the main argument of those against taking a QB at 4.

To that end I'm for taking the QB and looking to help the team "win now" with the rest of the draft and Free Agency,

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
True but Jones didn't get picked 4th overall.

I like the idea of Ramsey paired with Jones and the flexibility that would bring, but is that the best value for the team having two 1st round picks at safety (which is where they are best suited)?

In truth I don't see anyone that we would pick at 4 having a significant impact straight away, which seems to be the main argument of those against taking a QB at 4.

To that end I'm for taking the QB and looking to help the team "win now" with the rest of the draft and Free Agency,

With the Myles Jack news I'm now leaning to qb. Smdh

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I hope we are never drafting this high again for a long time. SINCE....SINCE....this is where we are....we need to solidify the QB position for the next 12 years.

At some point...this scouting dept needs to find a Richard Sherman in the 5th round....or a Kam Chancellor in the middle rounds. We just spent a 1st round pick on a DB last year. The things they are saying about Ramsey were the same things they said about Claiborne...and we all know how that turned out. I am not saying we don't need secondary help, but we need to find a diamond in the rough...or these highly paid coaches need to coach one up. But we need to take care of QB NOW...because we should not be drafting in the top 5 again anytime soon!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hope we are never drafting this high again for a long time. SINCE....SINCE....this is where we are....we need to solidify the QB position for the next 12 years.

At some point...this scouting dept needs to find a Richard Sherman in the 5th round....or a Kam Chancellor in the middle rounds. We just spent a 1st round pick on a DB last year. The things they are saying about Ramsey were the same things they said about Claiborne...and we all know how that turned out. I am not saying we don't need secondary help, but we need to find a diamond in the rough...or these highly paid coaches need to coach one up. But we need to take care of QB NOW...because we should not be drafting in the top 5 again anytime soon!

I'm with you but Ramsey is so much more physical than Claiborne ever was.

Claiborne was a playmaker in college and it just didn't translate to the pro's.

I project Ramsey as a shutdown corner and he'll be one of the better corners in the NFL.

If i'm Dallas and I don't want a QB and I can't get out of the pick im taking Ramsey just because Bosa is not a special talent and Miles Jack will have to be unreal to ever live up to his draft status.

noletime95

Reaction score
For the record, I'd like to see Dallas go QB at 4, assuming whoever they choose-the scouts are in love with.

And I believe games are won in the trenches. But I don't see Dallas drafting OL at 4 given the resources already invested there. So is there a DL available that's a difference maker? Bosa? I dunno.

As already stated, if it's not a QB we are likely looking at Bosa, Jack or Ramsey. Jack wouldn't be my pick-I like him but not enough to draft a LB that high. Especially not if Ramsey is available, who is quite capable around the LOS himself.

Bosa? Up to the scouts If he's a difference maker at DE, do it.

As for Ramsey, he CAN and will play some CB in the NFL-and he'll do it well. Go watch the Clemson tape. He flat out dropped 3+ INT's this year. Is that good? NO. But he can break on the ball just fine and I don't believe his hands suck based on his SO year. Teams largely stayed away from him at CB. He's a guy that should be moved around and blitzed occasionally. He's a freak athlete. He's likely to be a pro bowler.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm with you but Ramsey is so much more physical than Claiborne ever was.

Claiborne was a playmaker in college and it just didn't translate to the pro's.

I project Ramsey as a shutdown corner and he'll be one of the better corners in the NFL.

If i'm Dallas and I don't want a QB and I can't get out of the pick im taking Ramsey just because Bosa is not a special talent and Miles Jack will have to be unreal to ever live up to his draft status.

JMO, but there is no thing as a shut down corner. They use to exist, but they don't anymore, like dragons, unicorns and jabberwockeys. Revis had a stretch where he was rarely tested, but he gets beat, Sherman gets beat, Peterson gets beat, Norman gets beat (btw, all of these guys have a great defense around them, that makes it harder for them to get beat down field, none would be as good here). Ramsey in the right situation may end up being good, but in 3 years at Florida State, he has 3 ints. All of the top corners in the league showed in college a certain knack for getting ints, far more than Ramsey has. Because QBs no longer fear CBs, they will test them down field and if they are not a threat to intercept the pass, it only means more shots at them.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I won't have a cat if we pick up Ramsey but I think that is not the best place to spend that kind of asset on a CB. You can pick long reasonably fast and quick CBs up in the 2nd to 5th and get a player assuming he will tackle.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
JMO, but there is no thing as a shut down corner. They use to exist, but they don't anymore, like dragons, unicorns and jabberwockeys. Revis had a stretch where he was rarely tested, but he gets beat, Sherman gets beat, Peterson gets beat, Norman gets beat (btw, all of these guys have a great defense around them, that makes it harder for them to get beat down field, none would be as good here). Ramsey in the right situation may end up being good, but in 3 years at Florida State, he has 3 ints. All of the top corners in the league showed in college a certain knack for getting ints, far more than Ramsey has. Because QBs no longer fear CBs, they will test them down field and if they are not a threat to intercept the pass, it only means more shots at them.

Yep. Drafting CBs mean long tough physical guys.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Feel free to laugh at me later for this, because I haven't seen a ton of him, but I think William Jackson III will at least end up being a far better value where he is picked as opposed to Ramsey.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Feel free to laugh at me later for this, because I haven't seen a ton of him, but I think William Jackson III will at least end up being a far better value where he is picked as opposed to Ramsey.

I wouldn't laugh at you one bit.

I said for months last year that Marcus Peters was the best DB and best Corner in the draft and no one believed it. Well, the proof is in the pudding. A lot of times, guys lock on to a player who they really like (as guys have obviously done with Ramsey and Jack) and get swept up in the hype. Both of those guys could be great, but there are some very good corners in this draft. There are some corners who have the splash plays and tape that Ramsey doesn't.

I personally think Hargreaves is the best corner and best DB in the draft this year, but he's not the soup of the day.

Every year we talk about not getting swept away by "athletes" and looking for guys who are scheme fits with proven ability,but every year guys go ga-ga for the athletes. Size and speed are great and tremendous assets, but they are not equal to being a good cover guy.

tm1119

Reaction score
Artie Burns is also a much better cover corner than Ramsey. Heard it here 1st

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Artie Burns is also a much better cover corner than Ramsey. Heard it here 1st

To me, there is probably a group 3-5 deep that have better coverage ability than Ramsey.

I've said since day one Ramsey should be a safety in the NFL.

MikeT22

Reaction score
To me, there is probably a group 3-5 deep that have better coverage ability than Ramsey.

I've said since day one Ramsey should be a safety in the NFL.

This is why I don't want Ramsey at #4. He's a great talent but isn't really dominant at any one position. A really good safety or CB can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. No need to take Ramsey in the top 4.

Gaede

Reaction score

I said for months last year that Marcus Peters was the best DB and best Corner in the draft and no one believed it. Well, the proof is in the pudding. A lot of times, guys lock on to a player who they really like (as guys have obviously done with Ramsey and Jack) and get swept up in the hype. Both of those guys could be great, but there are some very good corners in this draft. There are some corners who have the splash plays and tape that Ramsey doesn't.

I personally think Hargreaves is the best corner and best DB in the draft this year, but he's not the soup of the day.

Every year we talk about not getting swept away by "athletes" and looking for guys who are scheme fits with proven ability,but every year guys go ga-ga for the athletes. Size and speed are great and tremendous assets, but they are not equal to being a good cover guy.

Awesome post

MikeT22

Reaction score
If I don't go QB I'd go Ramsey because it seems to be all the Cowboys know to do in the top 10.

Plus Super Bowls are won by DB's, or something like that.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Ramsey doesn't look like a great zone corner. He lacks lateral agility but has incredible straight line speed. The majority of his interceptions are playing safety.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If he's not going to be a safety, I have no interest with him in the first round. He doesn't have first round talent at corner, just like Jones. He has first round talent at safety. The quicker he and teams realize that the better.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Some of the problem with extremely fast and vrey quick twitch players comes from a basic instinct for them, early in their development, to use excelleration to seperate and not to mirror. At a high skill level, this instinct converts to tremendous seperation that occurs at microseconds in being presented. Mental discipline requires a ton of instruction, guidance, as well as on field players providing leadership.