Random but needs to be said

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have three autographed football from RBs. One from Emmitt, one from Dorsett and one from Jim Brown. Best three of all time, in my book. BTW, Tony is my favorite.

A friend of mine, has a place mat from a diner signed by about 20 Browns from the 60's. His mom worked at a diner across the old Browns stadium and the players would come there to eat.
One of them that signed it is Jim Brown. He made laser copy of it and gave me 2 of them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Always thought Reuben Droughns was underrated.

:D
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. For a short time, he was more than decent!!

Jim Brown? One of the best of all time. I generally avoid discussing how someone from previous eras would do in this time, prolly because so many people are attempting to downgrade the player by using this parameter.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If Jim Brown had played in this era he would have also had the benefit of this era’s strength and conditioning programs, medication, hgh, etc, etc.

Can we stop trying to hypothetically compare different generations, it’s pointless....

Whatever

Proximo

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. For a short time, he was more than decent!!

Jim Brown? One of the best of all time. I generally avoid discussing how someone from previous eras would do in this time, prolly because so many people are attempting to downgrade the player by using this parameter.

Same here- general rule of thumb, I try not to compare athletes from completely different eras.

If prime Jim Brown were in today’s NFL, he wouldn’t be the same prime Jim Brown from X number of years ago.
Training methods, “supplements”, nutrition, sports science, etc, all changes the landscape so much.

Hell, back in the day many players had full time jobs in the offseason.

It’s just not a good comparison to make.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jim Brown
6'2 230lbs
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJi00.htm

Ezekiel Elliott
6'0 228lbs
http://www.nfl.com/player/ezekielelliott/2555224/profile

Jim Brown could absolutely play in this era at a high level.
If Jim brown played in the 90s, he’d be rueben drones. Stop calling him the best back of all time or even top 4.
And imagine where Jim Brown would be today with all the advantages in sports sciences he didnt have

DFWJC

Reaction score
No matter when Jim Brown played...he would be the best back in the League. He was Adrian Peterson before AP. Except he could catch and block too. Don't get it twisted...Jim Brown was a BAD MAN!

Sure hope I don't EVER read a thread saying Lawrence Taylor would be average or a lesser player than DWare, Von Miller or Khalil Mack. Smh...
Cant imagine Jim Brown athletically projected 3-4 decades forward with modern training and diet.
Total cyborg freak who'd be bigger, stronger, faster than everyone else....as he was then.

Cant compare different eras without including everything.
We see fans trying to do that in all sports. Has to be “relative” to current of that era.
Their 40 times, etc, would be way higher.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Same here- general rule of thumb, I try not to compare athletes from completely different eras.

If prime Jim Brown were in today’s NFL, he wouldn’t be the same prime Jim Brown from X number of years ago.
Training methods, “supplements”, nutrion, sports science, etc, all changes the landscape so much.

Beat me too it.
Its by far the main flaw fans have in comparing across eras.

kskboys

Reaction score

Training methods, “supplements”, nutrion, sports science, etc, all changes the landscape so much.

Many of them smoked on the bench. Meredith did.

kskboys

Reaction score
Marion butts
Ickey Woods!!!!!!!!!!

One of my younger football buds thought he was this great RB, what w/ the Ickey shuffle and all. Until I told him to look up his stats!!! Something like 1,300 or so lifetime rushing yards!!!!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Jim Brown
Best back of all time
:grin:
giphy.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I have the greatest respect for Jim Brown but Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith are the greatest RBs of all-time. All three played in different eras and were the greatest in their era.