News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's more fun (and allows for a bigger whine) to throw in the towel and want to banish the player to the outer regions of the universe.

You can definitely color me unhappy about this but we needed at least one more pass rusher anyway. I wanted two one via the draft.

Craig

Reaction score
Taking a risk on a first round talent in the late second round is worth it. In hindsight, knowing what i know now, i dont have enough information to say it was definitively wrong. His dallas cowboys story isnt done yet, and people need to stop acting like it is.

To be fair though, its not a very good story at this point.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Romo is 36. QBs of his caliber generally play at least thru their age 38 season. So three seasons of quality play left maybe more. I wouldn't count on more than 3 years. I'd like to see his replacement have two years of internship. You can argue we waited too long already and Romo will miss time this year and next. That is a false argument as any NFL player can suffer a season ending injury at any time; it is a risky job. You should play the odds. And you really can't carry an equal backup given the salary cap anymore.

The problem with the argument of drafting the BPA at all times is it doesn't reflect the needs of the team. You can argue just get quality players each pick and eventually you will fill the roster. It doesn't work that way due to injuries, deaths, incarcerations, early retirements, suspensions and most importantly the salary cap and contracts. You don't own the rights to a player for their entire career anymore. You have them the length of their practical contract life.

So the Cowboys enjoy a view from the top this year which is unusual for them. If they want the opportunity to draft a QB who poses a good risk at being elite then they must draft one this year.

There are other QBs who I think have a chance to develop who can be drafted later but that is a risk, too.

I think some of the misunderstanding (in general; not just you, etc.) is the injury proneness I and many posters are referring to Romo's back, and not last seasons's clavicle injuries. He needed cortisone shots every week and missed weekly WED practices (and in TC) to protect his back. I agree with the remainder of your post most definitely though. Back problems rarely improve and why I invoke the Aikman redux reference so much;):)

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think some of the misunderstanding (in general; not just you, etc.) the injury proneness I am referring to is related to Romo's back and not last seasons's clavicle injuries. He needed cortisone shots every week and missed weekly WED practices (and in TC) to protect his back. I agree with the remainder of your post most definitely though. Back problems rarely improve and why I invoke the Aikman redux reference so much;)

He says his back is not a problem.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
leave it to this franchise to have a little taste of success in 2014, get arrogant, and bring in troubled players only to have it blow up in their faces.

What a dysfunctional organization. Cut true pros like Demarcus Ware and let the offensive player of the year walk in Demarco Murray. They deserve the failure of the past 2 decades.

I don't know about the deserving part, I think Jerry is trying the best he can, but that is a debate for another day.

You are 100% correct my friend that almost every move since that Green Bay playoff game has blown up in their face (probably McFadden is the only move that paid off). Be it bringing in guys like Hardy with a domestic violence background, going with Joseph Randle to replace the Offensive Player of the Year (Randle got the bulk of the carries over McFadden the first couple of games), drafting a guy with a known drug addiction and hoping you can change him in Gregory, letting Weedon stay after last year's horrible performance in the Arizona game, trading for Matt Cassel, trading for Brice Butler, taking an OT in the 3rd round that never saw the field, relying on a MLB that you don't know from day to day if he even wants to play anymore, ect....

Just been one bad move after another after another...................everything blew up in their face and the result is 4-12. Its funny how people still say that all of our problems were from just Romo being gone and Dez being hobbled. As if everything else was purring like a kitten and if you plug those 2 guys back into the lineup we are automatically a 12-14 win team.:rolleyes:

I don't think so.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He says his back is not a problem.

Deep passing game has left the Dallas offense until last resort? 12-4 we went deep lesser than any other team (by a long margin). The GB playoff game was evidence of this passing offense at work. Go deep only in desperation due to lack of arm strength (back).

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What the heck are you talking about @Floaty?

I'm talking about accountability.

This team has ZERO.... ZILTCH:mad: And as a fan I'm fed up. I've had it up to my eye brows w/ the BS. It needs to stop here. If I was running this show.....There would be accountability...I can tell you that.

But instead.....the fans will continue to suffer because Jerry Jones doesn't have a freaking clue how to solve this abortion he has created.

The Enabling!!!!:banghead:

fortdick

Reaction score

This team has ZERO.... ZILTCH:mad: And as a fan I'm fed up. I've had it up to my eye brows w/ the BS. It needs to stop here. If I was running this show.....There would be accountability...I can tell you that.

But instead.....the fans will continue to suffer because Jerry Jones doesn't have a freaking clue how to solve this abortion he has created.

BS, he didn't cut Irvin

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deep passing game has left the Dallas offense until last resort? 12-4 we went deep lesser than any other team (by a long margin). The GB playoff game was evidence of this passing offense at work. Go deep only in desperation due to lack of arm strength (back).

You're presuming that. Romo doesn't have a big arm and has never been a huge threat deep. However, keep in mind that passes of 40 yards (air length) are unusual in the NFL. There were only 351 passes of same in 2014. That averages to 10.4 passes per YEAR per team.

If you use the 'normal' 20 yard pass (remember a 15 yd out may be from a 30 yard in the air pass) then you get a compromise. The best IMO is Rodgers. Another is Romo although his YPA is about 14 but his INT% is the lowest in the NFL over the last 3+ years. He's only thrown a tad over 100 'long balls' in the period of 2013-14. Avg attempts over that period was about 130.

You'll have to define your position as this topic is hard to discuss otherwise and is still always going to be a narrative in the end.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

The team CANNOT punish him for this. They cannot fire him for cause, cancel his contract yada yada yada. You are emotionally reasoning rather than thinking logically.

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
No need to bring Hardy back, it's not like he played like we hoped he would.

How about Chris Long instead?

RoboQB

Reaction score
I've seen a Cowboys player on this team buying weed at a friend's house. He hasn't been stupid enough to fail tests though. He told me they know when they're getting tested.

The entire.country just needs to legalize it, and I don't even smoke. I haven't read all the replies, but more Americans die from Rx pills than cocaine and heroin combined. People need a safer alternative.

Right... usually there's a staff member or coach that tells them "hey, on the third Tuesday next month at 8am, you're gonna have a random drug test."... I swear I watched a documentary about this
a while ago... just can't remember when......... and yes, they might as well just legalize weed... Rx pills are much worse... agreed.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Wow 2016 started out just great. Does it ever stop with this sorry franchise?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You're presuming that. Romo doesn't have a big arm and has never been a huge threat deep. However, keep in mind that passes of 40 yards (air length) are unusual in the NFL. There were only 351 passes of same in 2014. That averages to 10.4 passes per YEAR per team.

If you use the 'normal' 20 yard pass (remember a 15 yd out may be from a 30 yard in the air pass) then you get a compromise. The best IMO is Rodgers. Another is Romo although his YPA is about 14 but his INT% is the lowest in the NFL over the last 3+ years. He's only thrown a tad over 100 'long balls' in the period of 2013-14. Avg attempts over that period was about 130.

You'll have to define your position as this topic is hard to discuss otherwise and is still always going to be a narrative in the end.

Romo will hopefully be back for most if not the full season, but this is not guaranteed and his top 5 status will become vulnerable due to proven back problems that tend to worsen over time; not improve. This was on full display in the past with Aikman back problems forcing him to be released due to inadequate play; aka Aikman redux = not one other team would sign Aikman even while still wanting to play. His retiring a Cowboy is a nice revision of history that seems to get a pass due to ignorance of younger fans acceptance of the narrative.

Draft a QB high to avoid the tried and failed short term fixes of when/if Romo goes down or shows declining play either due to age or back problems. When you draft 4 overall and have a QB who is 36, it makes sense to take a top QB prospect in general as they are not likely to come fro latter rounds. On top of this, last season proved the organization and coaching (JG/Linehan/Wilson mainly) can't evaluate QB talent properly and why Weeden failed and a future draft pick was thrown away on Cassel in desperation. The lack of QB evaluation talent on this team lead to a 4-12 season mainly due to a QB who is able to hid for coaching/scheme/talent deficiencies = 1 win w/out Romo in '15.

This puts the burden of the franchise to think long term with their QB situation and maintaining the "brand" if Romo goes down long term.