News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

TheFinisher

Reaction score
leave it to this franchise to have a little taste of success in 2014, get arrogant, and bring in troubled players only to have it blow up in their faces.

What a dysfunctional organization. Cut true pros like Demarcus Ware and let the offensive player of the year walk in Demarco Murray. They deserve the failure of the past 2 decades.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Yup and by time that happens romo will be off the books.. Next year we will have 35 million without doing anything... And the year after that 49 million .. We have hardly any dead money..

Which is great. We need our capspace to keep our top players. We will also have Tank to sign as well. Let's not get into a bidding war with teams that need talent period. That can can quickly kill our great future cap situation. We are not a pass rusher away from winning anything. How bout when we are a player or 2 away from winning we go sign a big name like how Denver did.

Junglist

Reaction score
It's a safe bet to assume nearly 80% of the NFL players use drugs.... funny how less than 5% get caught.

I've seen a Cowboys player on this team buying weed at a friend's house. He hasn't been stupid enough to fail tests though. He told me they know when they're getting tested.
Personally I think they should remove the ban altogether, but that's just me.

The entire.country just needs to legalize it, and I don't even smoke. I haven't read all the replies, but more Americans die from Rx pills than cocaine and heroin combined. People need a safer alternative.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This was my first question. How did he fail drug tests after the combine and not see it blown up in the media? I'm gonna sit back and wait for some clarification before casting my pointy rock.

Good question.....

I have a theory that the league sits on this type of information...until it's ready to release it ...usually @ the worst possible moment. I'm shocked that this came out now..and instead of after the draft. :rolleyes:

Daillest88

Reaction score
Good question.....

I have a theory that the league sits on this type of information...until it's ready to release it ...usually @ the worst possible moment. I'm shocked that this came out now..and instead of after the draft. :rolleyes:

Kind of like when we signed Hardy and than all the pictures came out

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Why do we draft guys like this? Is it JJ or Red who makes this crap happen?

After 20+ years of this crap..You have to ask that question?...and don't know the answer?????

Let me give you a hint....

cowquincy.jpg

Don't recall Garrett being around for this......

gmoney112

Reaction score
Can suspended players still attend training camp and play preseason?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Again...I'm not feeling all the name calling. Why he gotstobe called everything but a "child of God"? It's not like he's raping women and molesting children. It never seems to amaze me.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again...I'm not feeling all the name calling. Why he gotstobe called everything but a "child of God"? It's not like he's raping women and molesting children. It never seems to amaze me.

Well yeah.

You have some folks that aren't... well they aren't a lot of things.

Sydla

Reaction score
leave it to this franchise to have a little taste of success in 2014, get arrogant, and bring in troubled players only to have it blow up in their faces.

What a dysfunctional organization. Cut true pros like Demarcus Ware and let the offensive player of the year walk in Demarco Murray. They deserve the failure of the past 2 decades.

Ware wasn't part of the 2014 team.

And Murray left for more money and frankly, looked totally worn out last year. Cowboys made the right call letting him walk.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Why can't we be more like DEN.

Have guys like Von Miller that get suspended for weed. Aqib Talib arrested for shooting a gun at his family. TJ Ward assaulting a bartender. Peyton Manning buying HGH and teabagging a physical therapist.

Such a well run team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
So when do you really look at replacing Romo realistically considering all the issues, etc.? McCoy to cover for this season and draft one next year? 2nd round prospects you think more sense? Just think we disagree on what golden opportunity means; long term QB solution (not over reaching) or impact player and hope Romo stays healthy enough most of the year with prob. McCoy filling in for short term, etc. We have a top OL, top 5 WR, and a great foundation for a talented young QB who needs minimal development (1 year at most).

We have the cap space to go after Jenkins or T Johnson in FA, kick the tires w Mario Williams, money for Weddle if need be (modern passing league requires more of 2 FS system anyway w Weddle @ SS). Mid tier 1 techs? There are options even with taking a QB at 4 for development purposes.

I feel there is a contradiction in that the team would have been successful w/a top QB (Romo) but then neglect QB in the draft year in year out. This is esp true in this circumstance given the very rare opp to draft @ 4 overall and a chance to have a pick of the top 3 prospects this year. BPA according to NEED is how the 1st works. BPA followed to a tee is a fallacy in general until you get past the first 3 rds of every draft; that is the reality.

Romo is 36. QBs of his caliber generally play at least thru their age 38 season. So three seasons of quality play left maybe more. I wouldn't count on more than 3 years. I'd like to see his replacement have two years of internship. You can argue we waited too long already and Romo will miss time this year and next. That is a false argument as any NFL player can suffer a season ending injury at any time; it is a risky job. You should play the odds. And you really can't carry an equal backup given the salary cap anymore.

The problem with the argument of drafting the BPA at all times is it doesn't reflect the needs of the team. You can argue just get quality players each pick and eventually you will fill the roster. It doesn't work that way due to injuries, deaths, incarcerations, early retirements, suspensions and most importantly the salary cap and contracts. You don't own the rights to a player for their entire career anymore. You have them the length of their practical contract life.

So the Cowboys enjoy a view from the top this year which is unusual for them. If they want the opportunity to draft a QB who poses a good risk at being elite then they must draft one this year.

There are other QBs who I think have a chance to develop who can be drafted later but that is a risk, too.

John813

Reaction score
Given all the reports prior to the season concerning why he dropped in the draft and the fact that he still got popped 3-4 times after in less than a calendar year, it's apparent the guy has a serious addiction. I don't believe it's as simple as "hoping" he finally gets it and stops smoking marijuana. My belief is he's just as likely to get popped again in the near future and get suspended for a year than he is to avoid failing another test before the 2016 is over.

You almost have to move on as if he does not exist on the depth chart.

It all makes some sense now. Why else would a pass rusher universally regarded as a top 5 pick fall all the way nearly to the 3rd round? Usually you see a Shane Ray type drop but Gregory's was massive.

Just stating from a fan standpoint I hope he can either mature up/get some help etc. From a football standpoint I agree that we may have to reevaluate the rde position in that we have no legit players there and might have to grab another de in FA or the draft. He needs to show long term he can wise up and stop smoking before the Cowboys trust him in any playing time/scheme/penciling him in.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Unbelievable.

This is exactly why its impossible for us to believe in this Franchise anymore.

They do not have a clue who to draft and can't make the right calls about who to keep and who to let go.

We constantly get players who are high risk and low committment.

What is going on with this team.?

Why are we so dysfunctional?

This is a faulty argument. Not only does every team face these problems but all employers everywhere do. They knew there were risks. But you and others act as if it's over with for him on this team. It may be the beginning of the end but no one knows that. Showing concern and even bemoaning taking a risky player is certainly reasonable but throwing in the towel is not.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a faulty argument. Not only does every team face these problems but all employers everywhere do. They knew there were risks. But you and others act as if it's over with for him on this team. It may be the beginning of the end but no one knows that. Showing concern and even bemoaning taking a risky player is certainly reasonable but throwing in the towel is not.

It's more fun (and allows for a bigger whine) to throw in the towel and want to banish the player to the outer regions of the universe.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Greg Hardy is cancer. Stop it before it spreads.