Ranking teams that would trade for Cowboys QB Dak Prescott

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people misunderstand the so called “no trade” clause. It is better described as a “3 layer trade clause“ because it requires:
  1. The Cowboys decide they want to trade Dak.
  2. Dak approves one or more destinations to be traded (or none)
  3. An approved team and the Cowboys agree to terms.
The part that is hardest in this equation is probably the trade terms. Dak’s contract, possible new terms, etc. The best chances for a trade will be with teams that are at or near contending. With a strong running game and defense, Dak is still capable of being a good QB in the playoffs. I’m ready to move on from Dak but I believe the belief of some fans that he is garbage is just silly.

But…I just can’t see Jerry allowing any of this. The once wildcatting dice roller is acting like an old man on a small pension. The only chances he takes now are the ones his giggling son feels are safe enoug

I understand what you’re saying Ice. But I would rather be 5-12 than 8-9. Better draft picks and a clear understanding that this organization is rebuilding. It will never happen with Jerry alive though.
Agreed..That's why I say if you're going to blow it up? Go all in...0-17.....

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
I totally agree, it may happen that way, hell we might go further than we've been in years who knows!!
For some reason some fans are afraid of rebuilding but don't realize that the 90s dynasty was built with top 10 picks.

We are always picking late in the draft but never winning anything...

Literally, the worst position you can be at as a sports franchise.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying Ice. But I would rather be 5-12 than 8-9. Better draft picks and a clear understanding that this organization is rebuilding. It will never happen with Jerry alive though.
Hate to put it like that but you're right...Could say the same about Stephen also...Better be young if you're a Dallas fan. Might be an old man before you see a SB....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For some reason some fans are afraid of rebuilding but don't realize that the 90s dynasty was built with top 10 picks.

Great point.

Also- To really compete for a championship, it takes having a front office that can honestly and accurately assess their strengths and weaknesses.

One of the WORST parts of this owner being the GM is he falls in love with his players and over-estimates their real collective talent. He looks at his team like a dad coaching his sons instead of a real NFL GM (whose job is literally on the line) who looks at the talent as a WHOLE, not a bunch of individuals.

This FO never seems to understand, it takes a talented team to win a championship not just a bunch of talented guys making pro bowls.

stiletto

Reaction score
I can't see most of those teams being attractive enough for Dak to waive his clause. He'd be more likely to refuse an extension and test FA in 2025.
That's what I'd do if I were him. He can play football, obviously not to Cowboys post-season standards but there are plenty of teams that would take Dak. Anyone that doesn't think that, is an absolute BOZO...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Got to start somewhere, we're not winning with what we have currently

kramskoi

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people misunderstand the so called “no trade” clause. It is better described as a “3 layer trade clause“ because it requires:
  1. The Cowboys decide they want to trade Dak.
  2. Dak approves one or more destinations to be traded (or none)
  3. An approved team and the Cowboys agree to terms.
The part that is hardest in this equation is probably the trade terms. Dak’s contract, possible new terms, etc. The best chances for a trade will be with teams that are at or near contending. With a strong running game and defense, Dak is still capable of being a good QB in the playoffs. I’m ready to move on from Dak but I believe the belief of some fans that he is garbage is just silly.

But…I just can’t see Jerry allowing any of this. The once wildcatting dice roller is acting like an old man on a small pension. The only chances he takes now are the ones his giggling son feels are safe enough.
This really is a waste of time as a thought experiment. Prescott is coming off his best season as a pro. McCarthy loves Dak. Dak loves McCarthy...and Jerry Jones still loves them both. Only in some uber-weird parallel universe is there even a snowball's chance in hell of Prescott being traded.

You don't go "all in" with Lance in a lame duck year for your head coach. Illogic of the highest order. It's time some in this space disabuse themselves of their funky fantasies. It ain't...gonna...happen. And the tell? If McCarthy can lose the way he lost against the Packers and still have the support of his owner...just imagine how safe Prescott is after the MVP/All-Pro/Pro Bowl season he just had.

I concur that Jerry Jones is now the man who thinks that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great point.

Also- To really compete for a championship, it takes having a front office that can honestly and accurately assess their strengths and weaknesses.

One of the WORST parts of this owner being the GM is he falls in love with his players and over-estimates their real collective talent. He looks at his team like a dad coaching his sons instead of a real NFL GM (whose job is literally on the line) who looks at the talent as a WHOLE, not a bunch of individuals.

This FO never seems to understand, it takes a talented team to win a championship not just a bunch of talented guys making pro bowls.
Speaking of the dad, just look at how he took in micah, like what other owner did all that, just bring the player to the press conference etc, and shake his hand, tell him let's go!!!! Geesh

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This really is a waste of time as a thought experiment. Prescott is coming off his best season as a pro. McCarthy loves Dak. Dak loves McCarthy...and Jerry Jones still loves them both. Only in some uber-weird parallel universe is there even a snowball's chance in hell of Prescott being traded.

You don't go "all in" with Lance in a lame duck year for your head coach. Illogic of the highest order. It's time some in this space disabuse themselves of their funky fantasies. It ain't...gonna...happen. And the tell? If McCarthy can lose the way he lost against the Packers and still have the support of his owner...just imagine how safe Prescott is after the MVP/All-Pro/Pro Bowl season he just had.
what if dak were to get hurt for several games, do we just give up?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's what I'd do if I were him. He can play football, obviously not to Cowboys post-season standards but there are plenty of teams that would take Dak. Anyone that doesn't think that, is an absolute BOZO...
Hell does he want to do play for SF or KC????

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You don't go "all in" with Lance in a lame duck year for your head coach. Illogic of the highest order. It's time some in this space disabuse themselves of their funky fantasies. It ain't...gonna...happen. And the tell? If McCarthy can lose the way he lost against the Packers and still have the support of his owner...just imagine how safe Prescott is after the MVP/Pro Bowl season he just had.
I agree 100% that you are correct. Trading Dak won’t happen. I think it is very debatable whether that really is being “all in” or not. And I like Dak. But I honestly believe the “all in” statements Jerry made last week are really a marketing slogan not a real commitment.

I hope I’m wrong.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
:laugh:
Many of you want Dak gone yesterday.
But, he aint going nowhere.
Dak has it too good in Dallas.

kramskoi

Reaction score
I agree 100% that you are correct. Trading Dak won’t happen. I think it is very debatable whether that really is being “all in” or not. And I like Dak. But I honestly believe the “all in” statements Jerry made last week are really a marketing slogan not a real commitment.

I hope I’m wrong.
I'll wait until the draft and free agency. That will tell me everything I need to know. I'm not holding my breath.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score

I hope I’m wrong.
Jerry Jones is a fan trying to be a GM.

A true GM shouldn't catch feelings for players or coaches like we the fans do.

That is his biggest flaw.

Instead of trying to constantly improve the roster and trading players at their maximum value, he hangs on far too long because they are "his" guys...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It’s not a reach to think the issue is the franchise, the environment the plays occur in, not the signal caller. Mental fortitude and toughness trickle down through an organization from the highest levels. Prescott’s done nothing but steward league-leading offenses whenever he’s been healthy, though they certainly haven’t been league-leading in the postseason. Teams would have every reason to believe that like Stafford, a change of scenery could take Prescott from statistical winner to actual champion. NOTE: Dak has a no trade clause but he may want to escape.

12 teams, ranking which ones make the most sense.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-teams-that-would-trade-for-cowboys-qb-dak-prescott/?

1. Atlanta Falcons​

The Falcons have a ton of young weapons and a competent enough defense that they are just waiting for the right head-coach QB scenario to come to town. If Bill Belichick gets the gig like it appears, they’d absolutely pony up the price tag of two first-round picks to acquire Prescott and hit the ground running.
A lot can happen in 12 months.

JBS

Reaction score
I can't see most of those teams being attractive enough for Dak to waive his clause. He'd be more likely to refuse an extension and test FA in 2025.
You are out of your mind. That man right now, is taking the money. His confidence in himself is shattered. No way he’s declining a big money extension

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s not a reach to think the issue is the franchise, the environment the plays occur in, not the signal caller. Mental fortitude and toughness trickle down through an organization from the highest levels. Prescott’s done nothing but steward league-leading offenses whenever he’s been healthy, though they certainly haven’t been league-leading in the postseason. Teams would have every reason to believe that like Stafford, a change of scenery could take Prescott from statistical winner to actual champion. NOTE: Dak has a no trade clause but he may want to escape.

12 teams, ranking which ones make the most sense.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-teams-that-would-trade-for-cowboys-qb-dak-prescott/?

1. Atlanta Falcons​

The Falcons have a ton of young weapons and a competent enough defense that they are just waiting for the right head-coach QB scenario to come to town. If Bill Belichick gets the gig like it appears, they’d absolutely pony up the price tag of two first-round picks to acquire Prescott and hit the ground rudogs pit.
Weird because someone told me in another thread there are 31 GMs that would want him...think the same guy said Dak is as good as Mahomes, so there's that. Anyways, the list...

12. Phins...No. Tua is still young and that team is on the rise. Why would they want Dak?

11. Vikes...No. They already have Dak.

10. Hawks...No. They just paid Geno and he's pretty much the same as Dak now. Beats up on bad teams, sucks against legit defenses.

9. Bucs...No. Baker showed he's worth an extension there. Bucs defense is trash. They will extend him to a cheap deal and build the defensive secondary.

8 Panthers.. Bryce is terrible but didn't they just trade the farm for him? What do they even have for picks? Otherwise, Dak would improve their roster.

7. Lol. Not a snowflakes chance in hell DQ would advocate for this.

6. Broncs...just gave up a kings ransom for Russ. They're done with him after he flamed out but imagine they're a bit snakebit at the moment. Otherwise, yeah this could make sense

5. Tons of cap space. Draft picks galore. Fields has struggled bit, has a ton of talent but sucks at reading defenses. I think they draft a top qb and make it a competition (we should try that some year)

4. Raiders...this works.

3. Pats...yep this works. Pack his LVs and go be with Zeke.

2. Steelers...Tomlin was already looking like a hot seat candidate this year, doubt he wants someone as unreliable as Dak. He has that already.

1. Falcons...makes sense, their QBs are dogspit. Probably his biggest opportunity for any success.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a fan trying to be a GM.

A true GM shouldn't catch feelings for players or coaches like we the fans do.

That is his biggest flaw.

Instead of trying to constantly improve the roster and trading players at their maximum value, he hangs on far too long because they are "his" guys...
Hey It Beats The hell out of fans trying to come off as GM's, That's much more absurd and comical

That's like watching a dog trying to catch his tail, It old but still funny as hell.

Instead of being patient, and letting the F.O do it's business, Fans constantly yell for Dallas to just Blow it all to hell, So we can get the Coaches and Players THEY like.

Like I said " Dog Chasing his Tail" CLASSIC !