Rapaport: Prescott still on track for large contract extension

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak deserves his money. Hope he gives us a discount but NEVER saw any player at his level do this. just hope things start to work out for my team. Doubt it but it is what it is.....

Adreme

Reaction score
The more accurate reason is that it would give him unbelievable leverage because if you are doing that the void years would all hit next year if Dak is not on the roster so a 70m dead cap hit if Dak walks. The leverage he would have with that sword hanging over the organization’s head would be unprecedented.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We get embarrassed by the 7 seed. The first thing we do is retain McCarthy and extend Dak. Watch us fire Dan Quinn but promote someone from within to carry on his defense for one year while we give McCarthy another chance. There’s not gonna be Belichick, Harbaugh and Vrabel available next year with a stacked QB draft class. Expect to see more of the same.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
We get embarrassed by the 7 seed. The first thing we do is retain McCarthy and extend Dak. Watch us fire Dan Quinn but promote someone from within to carry on his defense for one year while we give McCarthy another chance. There’s not gonna be Belichick, Harbaugh and Vrabel available next year with a stacked QB draft class. Expect to see more of the same.
Dan Quinn deserves to get fired. And hopefully will...

HMJYay

Reaction score
You simply cannot give Dak a big extension with more guaranteed money. Forget the implications of her cap for a second.

What message does this send to the team? We reward mediocrity.
Exactly. All this “well they have to.” No, they don’t have to. Spread the cap hit over two years. Take Lance and draft a QB in a stacked draft class and take Cooper Rush and have all three of them compete. Create competition on a roster, don’t just give it away.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
You simply cannot give Dak a big extension with more guaranteed money. Forget the implications of her cap for a second.

What message does this send to the team? We reward mediocrity.
Jerry and Stephen are terrified to have the multiple 4-6 win seasons with a packed AT&T Stadium that is required to get the QB needed to change the arc of the organization. The easy way out is to keep the QB that is good enough to get you 10-12 wins but probably cant get you past the 2nd week of the playoffs. Like they said, "we're close", right?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen are terrified to have the multiple 4-6 win seasons with a packed AT&T Stadium that is required to get the QB needed to change the arc of the organization. The easy way out is to keep the QB that is good enough to get you 10-12 wins but probably cant get you past the 2nd week of the playoffs. Like they said, "we're close", right?
Unfortunately this is their thinking. Keep Dak Cousins and keep being just ok when it really counts.

Lutonio

Reaction score
More like Packers and 49ers rejoice. As much as I’m over Prescott, he owns the division.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Why would Dak do that?
The whole reason he and his agent made a short deal was so he could fleece the Cowboys again
Hes going to demand a nee deal if we want to reduce the cap hit
if a new deal can't be reached, and he decides to play the season under the current terms/money.

at that point, a restructure becomes a possibility, since it doesn't affect his money at all, only the cap.

not as likely as an extension taking place, but still a possibility, and would be a bold or "stubborn and cap-irresponsible" way, depending on how you see it, for the team to still go "all in" from a cap perspective.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
LOL

It is very cute that you believe that

Daks priorities are the same ad Jerry

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
7. Winning
true, but I'd imagine he would still want to make a good showing in '24 in order to make more money. lowering the cap can allow the team to retain or sign players.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This isn’t true.
They can restructure Dak without extending him.
The cap hit doesn't magically go away, though. It just gets spread out into the future. While they can currently void 2025 and 2026, if they do this it creates cap hits that aren't voidable. They'll either eat it now or eat it later, but they still take the hit. It's just a matter of how they want to take it.

"Prescott is owed a $29 million salary in 2024. Hypothetically, the Cowboys have the sole discretion to reduce his salary to as low as $1.21 million. The $27.79 million reduction would be paid to Prescott as a bonus and become evenly distributed across the 2024, 2025 and 2026 salary caps."

Personally, I'd take those hits just to have an escape clause in 2025. But I'm not Stephen Jones, and I don't believe he thinks like me.

JBS

Reaction score
The cap hit doesn't magically go away, though. It just gets spread out into the future. While they can currently void 2025 and 2026, if they do this it creates cap hits that aren't voidable. They'll either eat it now or eat it later, but they still take the hit. It's just a matter of how they want to take it.

"Prescott is owed a $29 million salary in 2024. Hypothetically, the Cowboys have the sole discretion to reduce his salary to as low as $1.21 million. The $27.79 million reduction would be paid to Prescott as a bonus and become evenly distributed across the 2024, 2025 and 2026 salary caps."

Personally, I'd take those hits just to have an escape clause in 2025. But I'm not Stephen Jones, and I don't believe he thinks like me.
Of course it doesn’t magically go away hahah. You push the can down the road. Better than extending him

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
If they want to be competitive they absolutely have zero choice. If they want to tank a year they have options.

But read the writing on the wall. McCarthy is in his final year. They did not bring him back to tank this season
They didn't bring him back to win, either. They know they can't win with the combination of McCarthy and Dak...might as well throw Quinn in there, yet they will run them ALL back. They know they will lose, but they will lose in comfort, with nobody to challenge them, which is all they really want.