Rapoport: Leonard agrees to 1-yr deal with Eagles

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
They guaranteed him the playing time that we couldn’t. Eagles are void of LB talent while we have a couple young guys playing really well there. Not a big loss imo.
Yeah it's more about him knowing that the Eagles are more desperate than the Cowboys to find a piece they hope can singlehandedly save their defense from getting torched at the LB position.

_sturt_

Reaction score
is anyone really surprised by this?
The one year part, yes.

What were the other options that kept him from making a commitment almost immediately after his PHI visit? Or, at least, by sometime Sunday. Dunno. But whatever. Kinda glad we didn't make a commitment to 2024 when it appears that would have been entirely bidding against ourselves.

CWR

Reaction score
I said this was all predetermined. The colts head coach was asst. at Philly last week. And ciriannni was his coach in Indy. That’s why they released him so the eagles could sign him
Hell yeah, I'm marching this up to league offices for obvious collusion.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

They only have one linebacker that would start on some other NFL teams. And he's injured. This will allow them to have 2 NFL starting linebackers. Every linebacker on that club starting currently were released by the Eagles at one point and nobody picked them up. They are horrible. That defense has been patchwork all year. This guy isn't going to help them, at least now. As they get some of their players back he'll help, but their back 7 is below average to start. They have undrafted free agents playing in that secondary that can't tackle a stationary tackling dummy, and they can't hide them They have a defensive coordinator without experience, and you get a defense with a below NFL average standing. Because they played a long year last year, and long grueling games this year because of their lack of talent on the defense these guys look to be shot.

This week they'll get there star receiver at the tight end position back. They didn't get any injuries in yesterday's game. The question is is that enough against us? I doubt it. They can have plenty of talent on defense and it still wouldn't make up for the woeful coordinator they have.

I'm still picking us, but it's not going to be easy. I figure they're going to be plenty angry for losing to San Francisco in the embarrassing way they did.

That's my take on this week's game.

Motorola

Reaction score
'Bleeding Green Nation' pleased- but know that the team has to place a high priority on the position in the 2024 draft.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Just to be clear....when they say he signed a '1 year deal"... they mean just the next 5 games right?

He's a free agent again this offseason?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
This makes their defense weaker, he's a huge liability currently in their defense and takes the place of someone able bodied.

The Eagles got him because of their LBs struggling in coverage and Leonard is said not to be very great in coverage. Some wanted him on the Cowboys defense to counter the Niners offense. But if he isn't good in coverage, then would be alone be enough to stop CMC and Deebo out in the open field?

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
I never said he was bad or good all I’m saying is if he wanted to help them he should’ve released Michael Pittman lol.
Look at would be too obvious. This will give Philly just enough to get to the nfc champ game. What they do there idk. All I know if it won’t matter for us cuz we not getting past niners. Out best hope is that a lower seed takes out San Fran cuz we won’t beat them

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Time to move on. He would be a nice depth piece— but he isn’t without his flaws and question marks at this point.

Would be sweet to see us smoke him in coverage for the go ahead TD in the playoffs lok

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish I could go back and read some of the posts before he got signed by the birds...at that time he was going to really help the Cowboys defense and he would really be a good fit. Now, all of sudden he is nothing but trash, washed, can't run, can't cover. lol

But the posters that are trashing him in this thread would have been all in love with him if he signed with the Cowboys.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
our honest offer of 3 nachos and half a diet pepsi didnt work?
For the 100th time.

His deal is not about the money. It's a deal for the rest of the year - mostly likely at the vet minimum. He's still getting paid by the Colts. Anything the Eagles give him comes out of that. His net pay will stay exactly the same, so there is no bidding war. Just a player preference for the Eagles.

Praxit

Reaction score
The Eagles got him because of their LBs struggling in coverage and Leonard is said not to be very great in coverage. Some wanted him on the Cowboys defense to counter the Niners offense. But if he isn't good in coverage, then would be alone be enough to stop CMC and Deebo out in the open field?
..good points. I still think we need another LB. Maybe get him down the road.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
is anyone really surprised by this?

Dallas has proven they can’t get past the divisional stage.
I'll be more surprised if Philly didn't offer him more money. You can usually follow the money when you are trying to find out why a player preferred a certain team.