Twitter: Rapoport: The Cowboys are still looking for edge help, hosting former Lions DE Jason Jones

LittleD

Reaction score
but I always thought your goal was to win a championship they havn't came close so 12 and 4 don't really mean a whole lot other than a good regular season they have to improve this defense to be in contention for a superbowl the nfc east is ranked as the worst division In football on nfl .com

Every one of the 32 teams have that goal and a few are able to achieve it. You sure can't buy your way to a championship as the Commanders,
Jaguars, Dolphins, Bucs have learned.

LittleD

Reaction score
Possibly. Or maybe 2014 was an anomaly where just about everything went right for the team and that over a normal season, this still is just an 8 win team. The offense was nearly flawless that year with not one significant injury anywhere. Even the backups were relatively healthy. They covered up significantly for the defense that if you looked at advanced stats, still wasn't all that good.

To me, the recipe going forward shouldn't be trying to recreate 2014, which could have easily been a fluke, but rather balance the team out where you try to stay committed to a run game like you had in 2014 but then also significantly improve the defense. I like the Thornton signing very much, but IMO, not enough has been done on the defensive side of the ball.

It's very simple to me. If this team can't get to the QB more than they have, I don't think they can have a very successful season. And right now, I just don't see much of a pass rush here.

I see your points...I like the Thornton signing very much too. I also like the Morris signing and I think this OL getting back to zone blocking
will really help Romo out. They will be drafting at least 9 new players and probably signing another 10 or so UDFA's. This will be Garrett's
and his coaches "prove it or lose it" year so we're soon going to see if they learned anything from last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I think the underlying point here is it's somewhat bizarre that the Cowboys came into the offseason claiming their two biggest needs were finding a capable backup and fixing a pass rush that just wasn't very good last year and then have done very little to address that pass rush need.
There is no reason to overpay for FA's. Sure the Cowboys could have signed players for big bucks but that is stupid. Last time I checked this is still March. Plenty of time to get some pass rushers in here. Not sure what is so bizarre about that. Especially when it was clear what our approach to FA would be.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The Texans can get out from under Miller's contract in two seasons with a minimal cap hit.

It's a pretty good team friendly deal for a young RB.

You obviously have no idea what team friendly means. That was a big deal for a rb. He's ranked as the 8th highest rb salary in the league, only 500k annually cheaper than Demario Murphy.

jjktkk

Reaction score
There's a difference between overpaying a guy and paying a market rate for a guy.

Seems Dallas is taking a third option.............. low balling guys hoping some will bite.

I'm curious how do you know if the Cowboys are "low balling" free agents? Have you worked in a NFL front office, or know somebody that does, or are you another disgruntled, Cowboys fan who is mad because the Cowboys have failed to sign a has been, veteran, DE?

Sydla

Reaction score
You obviously have no idea what team friendly means. That was a big deal for a rb. He's ranked as the 8th highest rb salary in the league, only 500k annually cheaper than Demario Murphy.

Any deal that allows a team minimal pain after a year or two is a good, team friendly deal as it allows a team to get out from under a mistake. Sure, Miller got $14MM guaranteed but that was because he was the best free agent TB on the market. 8th highest paid TB isn't that big of a deal when you look at the entire contract.

If he sucks or gets hurt in the next two seasons, Miami can dump him with little pain (they'd have to take a $2MM cap hit after 2017). That's a team friendly deal to me unlike say Suh's contract that has so much guaranteed money that if he sucked or got hurt to the point he wasn't the same player anymore, they'd still have $13MM in dead money as far out as 2019. Or Vernon, whose contract would have the Giants eating $8MM in dead money if they cut him in 2019.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
There is no reason to overpay for FA's. Sure the Cowboys could have signed players for big bucks but that is stupid. Last time I checked this is still March. Plenty of time to get some pass rushers in here. Not sure what is so bizarre about that. Especially when it was clear what our approach to FA would be.

This.

I'm sure it has already been noted but players will be released after the draft and some may be a good fit in Dallas providing the Cowboys have the money to spend. No point overspending now for players who may be able to help but are asking for more than the Cowboys have budgeted.

Sydla

Reaction score

From where? It's an honest question. Where are these good pass rushers that will make an immediate impact in an area of real weakness come from?

What's bizarre is that people think you can just fill a position need with a real quality player at any point. Reality is, if you are searching for pass rush help in June and July and August from camp cuts pool, you likely aren't finding anything other than depth players............ not really viable, starting players that can drastically improve the pass rush.

And as has been shown, counting on a rookie DE from the draft to solve that problem often isn't a great plan as well.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
From where? It's an honest question. Where are these good pass rushers that will make an immediate impact in an area of real weakness come from?

What's bizarre is that people think you can just fill a position need with a real quality player at any point. Reality is, if you are searching for pass rush help in June and July and August from camp cuts pool, you likely aren't finding anything other than depth players............ not really viable, starting players that can drastically improve the pass rush.

And as has been shown, counting on a rookie DE from the draft to solve that problem often isn't a great plan as well.

theres always that 1-800 number, you can dial one up

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm curious how do you know if the Cowboys are "low balling" free agents? Have you worked in a NFL front office, or know somebody that does, or are you another disgruntled, Cowboys fan who is mad because the Cowboys have failed to sign a has been, veteran, DE?

Disgruntled? LOL. As opposed to homer fans who bury their heads in the sand and think the Cowboys are pretty much flawless in how they operate the team?

The Cowboys did a very nice job in signing Thornton. He's a big upgrade at the 1 Tech IMO. I also really like the Morris signing. I actually was fine with bringing Claiborne back. I think signing Looney was a very smart move that gives the Cowboys some flexibility if maybe they wanted to move Leary for a pick. Looney is also a little insurance at C. So in those areas, the Cowboys did fine.

But I saw this team play year and even with Hardy on the team and Lawrence really stepping up, the pass rush was fairly mediocre to poor. Then the owner/GM comes out and suggests that the inability to get to the QB is a big problem and something that has to be fixed. And to date, it's not been addressed other than taking a chance on a relatively unknown kid from the Raiders (who I hope pans out and frankly didn't think was a bad signing at all). I look at this critically and believe you can't fix the pass rush by just plucking guys off waivers and camp cut lists. So when people say, "Why you mad bro? We can get pass rushers after the draft" that's such bizarre thinking to me because it ignores a reality................. that good, impactful pass rushers don't grow on trees and typically aren't sitting on the cut list in June and July.

So yeah, I think the Cowboys have mismanaged free agency to date with regards to the pass rush. I think they have to get lucky in the draft and take someone like Bosa or Spence or maybe Charles Tapper and hope that kid has a meaningful impact as a rookie. Because I don't think they are going to find what they need in the bargain bin after June 1 cuts (unless of course they do a 180 on Hardy and bring him back, which I guess could be a possibility if he's floating out there long enough).

Call it disgruntled, bitter, mean, sad, depressed, whatever you want. It's just how I see the situation right now.

And since you will ask, I would have been all over Mario Williams or Robert Ayers. Both would have had a positive impact in the pass rush department and both signed contracts that wouldn't crush our cap in future years. I would have stayed away from Vernon too much money.

jjktkk

Reaction score

And you seem to believe that quality DE free agents are on the street, just begging for a NFL team to sign them. Newsflash, if any of these DEs were really good, they wouldn't be looking for work, Hardy the prima donna, not withstanding.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Disgruntled? LOL. As opposed to homer fans who bury their heads in the sand and think the Cowboys are pretty much flawless in how they operate the team?

The Cowboys did a very nice job in signing Thornton. He's a big upgrade at the 1 Tech IMO. I also really like the Morris signing. I actually was fine with bringing Claiborne back. I think signing Looney was a very smart move that gives the Cowboys some flexibility if maybe they wanted to move Leary for a pick. Looney is also a little insurance at C. So in those areas, the Cowboys did fine.

But I saw this team play year and even with Hardy on the team and Lawrence really stepping up, the pass rush was fairly mediocre to poor. Then the owner/GM comes out and suggests that the inability to get to the QB is a big problem and something that has to be fixed. And to date, it's not been addressed other than taking a chance on a relatively unknown kid from the Raiders (who I hope pans out and frankly didn't think was a bad signing at all). I look at this critically and believe you can't fix the pass rush by just plucking guys off waivers and camp cut lists. So when people say, "Why you mad bro? We can get pass rushers after the draft" that's such bizarre thinking to me because it ignores a reality................. that good, impactful pass rushers don't grow on trees and typically aren't sitting on the cut list in June and July.

So yeah, I think the Cowboys have mismanaged free agency to date with regards to the pass rush. I think they have to get lucky in the draft and take someone like Bosa or Spence or maybe Charles Tapper and hope that kid has a meaningful impact as a rookie. Because I don't think they are going to find what they need in the bargain bin after June 1 cuts (unless of course they do a 180 on Hardy and bring him back, which I guess could be a possibility if he's floating out there long enough).

Call it disgruntled, bitter, mean, sad, depressed, whatever you want. It's just how I see the situation right now.

And since you will ask, I would have been all over Mario Williams or Robert Ayers. Both would have had a positive impact in the pass rush department and both signed contracts that wouldn't crush our cap in future years. I would have stayed away from Vernon too much money.

Oh yeah, great idea. Jerry should of opened his wallet for Williams, the turn the switch on and off again DE, who is on his 3rd team already. And Robert Ayers, who is on 3rd team as well. :rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
And you seem to believe that quality DE free agents are on the street, just begging for a NFL team to sign them. Newsflash, if any of these DEs were really good, they wouldn't be looking for work, Hardy the prima donna, not withstanding.

Actually I don't believe that at all, which is the point I've been making all along. You can't just magically fix the pass rush picking up bodies off the street after you've waited out the market.

Each year, maybe one or two or three quality pass rushers hit the market and usually it's because the guy has a problem (Hardy, for example) or the team simply has to make decisions with regards to cap, allocation of monies, etc. (Robert Ayers for example, DeMarcus Ware when we cut him). Once those guys go off the board, you are left with trying to hit in the draft or get extremely lucky that some guy falls off a turnip truck somewhere after June 1 and ends up being a real player for you.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh yeah, great idea. Jerry should of opened his wallet for Williams, the turn the switch on and off again DE, who is on his 3rd team already. And Robert Ayers, who is on 3rd team as well. :rolleyes:

LOL. Ayers was a cap casualty because they signed Olivier Vernon and were bringing back JPP, so they didn't want to invest money in Ayers.

He had 9.5 sacks last year and would have been an immediate upgrade opposite Lawrence at DE on this team.

jjktkk

Reaction score
LOL. Ayers was a cap casualty because they signed Olivier Vernon and were bringing back JPP, so they didn't want to invest money in Ayers.

He had 9.5 sacks last year and would have been an immediate upgrade opposite Lawrence at DE on this team.

9 1/2 sacks, yet the Giants, who were just as desperate for pass rushers as Dallas, chose not resign him. Tampa Bay is still Ayers 3rd team, but nice deflection though.

Sydla

Reaction score
9 1/2 sacks, yet the Giants, who were just as desperate for pass rushers as Dallas, chose not resign him. Tampa Bay is still Ayers 3rd team, but nice deflection though.

What deflection? What does it matter that he's been on 3 teams thus far?

The Giants wanted to get younger, had massive cap space to use and signed a 25 year old Vernon Olivier to a big deal and also signed JPP to a one year deal. They didn't want to pay for a 30 year old DE so they let Ayers walk over money and age. They really had no need for him. He left Denver because initially Denver used him as an OLB and then after switching back to DE, Jack Del Rio apparently didn't think they needed him so he went to NY, where he was actually very productive.

And in the end the reality is that if the Cowboys had gone after him, he'd easily be the 2nd best pass rushing end we have on the team at least and would have given the Cowboys a bit more flexibility in the draft knowing they don't have to take a pass rusher early, which they probably have to do now.

He'd have been a perfect signing IMO. Yes he's older, but he went to Tampa on a short term deal with no real cap implications beyond this year and if Dallas had gotten him, they'd have improved the pass rush and had a contract on their books that wouldn't cause them problems down the road.

Last edited:

zack

Reaction score
So does anyone have any news on Jones visit? At this point no news probably means no good news....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I (along with many others) watched Williams flat out quit on his teammates. Yep he was paid 12.2 million dollars for last season and quit.

No thanks.

Robert Ayers has 26.5 career sacks.

Pretty impressive number huh?

Sydla

Reaction score
I (along with many others) watched Williams flat out quit on his teammates. Yep he was paid 12.2 million dollars for last season and quit.

No thanks.

Robert Ayers has 26.5 career sacks.

Pretty impressive number huh?

Simple question now that you look at the current makeup of the team. Would Ayers have been an improvement to the pass rush? Just an improvement, not the next Von Miller or JJ Watt, but on a team that needs a lot of help at pass rush, would Ayers have been an improvement on the current roster?