Twitter: Rapoport: The Cowboys are still looking for edge help, hosting former Lions DE Jason Jones

fivetwos

Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased because I really like Jones as a player. I wanted him here when he left Tenn for Det.

He would add nice veteran depth to the DL rotation, can play several spots, and wouldn't cost a ton.

Just seems that the Dallas FO doesn't want anyone that they cant steal. Great.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just can't see the value in going so cheap on DE, when you have 15 mill allocated to Carr/Church/Wilcox this season, when you're in our situation at least.
One has nothing to do with the other. We know Carr has a horrible contract and likely won't do anything about it until after June. Do we know if either Church or Wilcox will be on the 53 next year? Using those 3 players for any kind of basis to make contract conparisons isn't going to work.

Sydla

Reaction score
All I know is that quite a few fans on here ripped Jerry a new one(deserved) for handing out contracts to older players, and getting burned for it. Now the organization is trying to be frugal in handing out contracts, and fans are complaining because he's not overpaying for, past their prime, veteran players. Can't have it both ways.

Except you are creating a strawman here. What people didn't think was wise was handing out big or long term deals to aging players that could come back to bite you in the butt down the road.

Signing a guy like Ayers, who while "older", doesn't fit into that situation as Ayers ended up signing a deal that is basically for one season. Ayers didn't get overpaid, in fact, he got a fairly reasonable deal that favors Tampa. The exact type of short term solutions the Cowboys should be looking at that won't kill their cap down the road.

So no, people aren't having it both ways.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased because I really like Jones as a player. I wanted him here when he left Tenn for Det.

He would add nice veteran depth to the DL rotation, can play several spots, and wouldn't cost a ton.

Just seems that the Dallas FO doesn't want anyone that they cant steal. Great.

So what do you want to pay him that he might accept? More than Thornton?

gmoney112

Reaction score
One has nothing to do with the other. We know Carr has a horrible contract and likely won't do anything about it until after June. Do we know if either Church or Wilcox will be on the 53 next year? Using those 3 players for any kind of basis to make contract conparisons isn't going to work.

Sure they do. Opportunity cost. In a setting where your spending is capped and you really need to be efficient, everything boils down to opportunity cost and value.

In contracts, and especially in FA like we see, timing is of the essence. You can't undo a quality player signing with another team because you wanted to keep 15 mill of your cap wrapped up.

A player can't void a contract he already signed because Dallas wanted to wait until June to make a decision. We decided that keeping Church, Wilcox, and to a lesser extent not forcing Carr's hand, was more important than getting any of the aforementioned players.

At this point, the cap space we get is relatively useless to us this year, unless Nelson (the safety) decides to come down in price. There just really aren't any impactful players left after FA unless there's a surprise cut, or you want a knucklehead like Hardy.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'd much rather overpay for talent than pay fair value for crappy player. Which is what we are currently doing, but you can just keep spewing the same crap. Whatever tickles your pickle man

Agreed. Who cares if we got a steal for a 3rd string TE or DE. I don't want to get ripped off but paying a little extra isn't bad for any impactful player especially if Romos window is only 1-2 years ( I know Jerry said 5 but he's lieing)

I don't understand this penny pinching mindset. I thought we where going " all in" for the next 1-2 years for Romo. It seems like we are going to field the exact same team as last year w Romo & dez back. Even with them back, the most we can hope for is the same results as 2014 where we barely beat Detroit and lost to Green Bay.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Except you are creating a strawman here. What people didn't think was wise was handing out big or long term deals to aging players that could come back to bite you in the butt down the road.

Signing a guy like Ayers, who while "older", doesn't fit into that situation as Ayers ended up signing a deal that is basically for one season. Ayers didn't get overpaid, in fact, he got a fairly reasonable deal that favors Tampa. The exact type of short term solutions the Cowboys should be looking at that won't kill their cap down the road.

I guess I needed to elaborate for you. A while back the Cowboy's FO decided to go with younger players, but for some reason, you're not comprehending this philosophy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand this penny pinching mindset.

It's not penny pinching. You don't overpay for talent in FA. It's grade a stupid to do that. You don't pay all pro money to good football players. You don't over pay for age. Look at some of the deals getting made just within our own division.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
It's not penny pinching. You don't overpay for talent in FA. It's grade a stupid to do that. You don't pay all pro money to good football players. You don't over pay for age. Look at some of the deals getting made just within our own division.

I like what the Giants did in the short term view. Why worry about money if you are playing for 1-2 seasons, the scrap the whole thing and rebuild after Romo retires. Getting great deals on rotational players ( back up dudes) and hoping to get impactful draft picks that will immediately help us next year seems kinda like what the Mavericks are doing w dirk. We gotta go big for 1-2 years like Denver Broncos , then tank.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I tend to agree with you in principle, but you can't just look at what appears to be a good deal for a player at a position of need for the Cowboys anywhere in the league and fault the team for not signing that player instead. First of all, there's a first mover advantage. Every team identifies the players they think are the best fit for them, and they pursue them first. We reportedly liked Adrian Clayborn this season, for example. Not enough to really overpay for him though, so he decided to stay put in ATL where he was already situated. We signed Mayawa, obviously because we liked him for what we want to do. As far as I know, we had no interest in Ayers.

Jason Jones, now, appears to have been a borderline case. I think he'd be a good signing, for the record. And I wouldn't mind a small premium on him to bring him in here late in FA. I also don't mind letting him walk without a deal. His agent knows we're interested. They'll check with us before doing anything with another team, and we'll get to decide then if we're willing to play ball. This is a deep draft along the DL, though. I don't mind waiting until after the draft and deciding then whether or not we want to overpay a vet for some insurance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like what the Giants did in the short term view. Why worry about money if you are playing for 1-2 seasons, the scrap the whole thing and rebuild after Romo retires. Getting great deals on rotational players ( back up dudes) and hoping to get impactful draft picks that will immediately help us next year seems kinda like what the Mavericks are doing w dirk. We gotta go big for 1-2 years like Denver Broncos , then tank.

What the Giants did was very risky. I'd hate it if I were a fan. I mean, I'd be excited for the new players, but it was too much risk on too many unknown commodities.

The goal is to avoid making big salary cap mistakes. It'd be really dumb to put together a good young OL, spend the time and resources drafting and developing them, and then to let them walk because you took a flier on a DE from Miami that didn't end up paying off.

davey999

Reaction score
I guess I needed to elaborate for you. A while back the Cowboy's FO decided to go with younger players, but for some reason, you're not comprehending this philosophy.

The philosophy isn't working