Twitter: Rapoport: Unlikely Jerry waits until January 14th to make a decision on Garrett

Rayman70

Reaction score
MIKE MCCARTHY Would be a very safe hire...and a HUGE improvement over Dumpster fire Garrett. Mike would likely want his own staff, which would mean...bye bye Marinelli and Richard.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pure speculation here, but I get the feeling jerry is taking his time because urban hasn't given him a definitive yes or no yet.

Doubtful. Urban has already stated the Cowboy job would be the one job that would interest him enough to unretire. What has to happen first is a conversation between Jerry and Jason Garret. I have a sneaking suspicion Garret may be about to join the cowboys front office and help Jerry hire a new coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry might also want to wait for Jason to line up another opportunity.

There really is no immediate hurry unless your wanting to name one of these big names looming which isn’t likely for Jerry.

I could see Jerry waiting until Super Bowl week.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or maybe changed his mind about working for Jerry Jones.

A distinct possibility as well. This is just a gut feeling on my part, but things really seemed to cool off after the reports of his conversation with Stephen Jones came out. Hopefully, that was just to quiet the rumblings and make it look like it wasn't a done deal and to still make it appear that they would adhere to the Rooney Rule. But I can't help but to think that Meyer might have had a change of heart once Stephen let him know how things are run here in Dysfunction Junction.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry might also want to wait for Jason to line up another opportunity.

There really is no immediate hurry unless your wanting to name one of these big names looming which isn’t likely for Jerry.

I could see Jerry waiting until Super Bowl week.

If Jerry wants his first choice, he better move fast. We aren't the only team looking for a new coach. Waiting until February would be absolutely stupid.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Doubtful. Urban has already stated the Cowboy job would be the one job that would interest him enough to unretire. What has to happen first is a conversation between Jerry and Jason Garret. I have a sneaking suspicion Garret may be about to join the cowboys front office and help Jerry hire a new coach.
I think that's very possible, and I really wouldnt have an issue with it. Garrett can be useful to a team, just get him away from managing game day situations.

I just hope garrett isnt kept on to "groom" the next head coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Jerry wants his first choice, he better move fast. We aren't the only team looking for a new coach. Waiting until February would be absolutely stupid.
Unless the coordinator you want is still playing.

And Jerrys first choice is already here. Lol

I really don’t think there’s anyone out there Jerry wants. Or first choice and why he’s in no hurry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MIKE MCCARTHY Would be a very safe hire...and a HUGE improvement over Dumpster fire Garrett. Mike would likely want his own staff, which would mean...bye bye Marinelli and Richard.

I would hate that. McCarthy's offense was stale and predictable, and if not for Aaron Rodgers abilities things would have gone even worse than they did. And McCarthy could never get his defenses figured out by having a good enough defensive coordinator. He's one of the last guys I'd want to get this job.

lukin2006

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned JG and the entire staff should have been left in Philly...what a waste of 10 years. have no faith that Jones will hire anyone of quality. Folks we are pretty much no better a franchise than Detroit or Cleveland...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I watched Jerry’s post-game presser. He repeatedly said he does not have anything “shareable” regarding a decision on coaches or personnel decisions.

To me, just bc he does not announce anything immediately after the final game— does not mean he has not been doing some homework, making some calls, and preparing to move on from Garrett.

Jerry loves the guy. We all look at it from a strictly football perspective— which is fine. But JJ was talking about working with Garrett’s dad for years— so he has watched Jason grow up and respects the entire Garrett family. He is not going to disrespect Garrett publicly in any way during this process.

BUT— I don’t think that means Garrett is returning. Jerry talked about making a lot of changes and that these next few days would be busy.

With Garrett’s contract expiring, JJ could be looking for his successor while simultaneously taking his time to close out this season with Jason and preserve the relationship along the way.

Carson

Reaction score
Cool. Let’s just wait until all the good coaches are picked up and wait to resign Garrett

John813

Reaction score
Unless the coordinator you want is still playing.

And Jerrys first choice is already here. Lol

I really don’t think there’s anyone out there Jerry wants. Or first choice and why he’s in no hurry.

Judd Garrett come on down!

lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched Jerry’s post-game presser. He repeatedly said he does not have anything “shareable” regarding a decision on coaches or personnel decisions.

To me, just bc he does not announce anything immediately after the final game— does not mean he has not been doing some homework, making some calls, and preparing to move on from Garrett.

Jerry loves the guy. We all look at it from a strictly football perspective— which is fine. But JJ was talking about working with Garrett’s dad for years— so he has watched Jason grow up and respects the entire Garrett family. He is not going to disrespect Garrett publicly in any way during this process.

BUT— I don’t think that means Garrett is returning. Jerry talked about making a lot of changes and that these next few days would be busy.

With Garrett’s contract expiring, JJ could be looking for his successor while simultaneously taking his time to close out this season with Jason and preserve the relationship along the way.

You don't preserve any relationship by waiting to let a coach go until after jobs are already filled.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is free to have discussions as well... why wouldn’t he be lining something up?

Are we having a serious conversation?

You don't think the Cowboys not making a decision on Garrett impacts his interest around the league?

stinkface

Reaction score
Lets see. Garrett's contract expires 14 Jan. Is is just possible that Garrett is tired of working for the Jone's and wants to go to a new team?