Twitter: Rapoport: Unlikely Jerry waits until January 14th to make a decision on Garrett

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That could very well be Jerry's sinister plan - purposely wait until all the best candidates are no longer available and then drunkenly claim that he now has no choice but to retain Garrett.
Plus it would give angry fans time to cool down and start rationalizing that we were only one win from the playoffs, maybe a new defensive and ST coordinator would make the difference, etc.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speculation. He is not in limbo. He has no contract as of Jan 14. How is him exploring future options being disloyal to Jerry?

I think what is happening is simple: fans are pissed and want to see Garrett fired. JJ is disappointed and resigned to what he must do— but he loves Jason and he is going to do nothing but sing his praises publicly, while talking about the need for macro change and “new direction” for the franchise.

But IMO— with respect— I think you are seeing roadblocks to Garrett’s next gig that simply aren’t there. This is going to be about as amicable a divorce as you will ever see. Both sides may already have been sleeping with their next spouses— but they aren’t going to drag each other though the mud and throw their crap on the lawn for the whole neighborhood to gossip about lol

I find your response ridiculous and not worth my time.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, check this out. Jerry's going to wait to move on from Garrett to preserve the relationship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think I said anything to make anyone think I think that, did I? Lol. No, I think Jerry wants to keep his adopted son around, even if it means handing him a promotion.
I would assume Jason still wants to coach.

Id always thought Jason might someday take over the GM position but that wouldn't be until Jerry’s gone.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
In true Jerry fashion, watch him and his family take a vacation this week while other teams are interviewing candidates.

RD21

Reaction score
Daddy kicking his redheaded step child to the curb will affect Garrett mentally. Something he hasn't really worried about for the last 12 years. Now it's coming to reality. I believe somebody else will hire him as HC. I believe there is enough belief (true or not), that JG has had a hand tied behind his back, to land him an immediate job elsewhere. One thing I'm sure most owners like is, Garrett is a loyal, pretty modest guy. We've never heard him bad mouth ownership, or say the "wrong" thing in a presser (from an owners perspective). He'll get another job. I'm pretty curious to see how he does. I wish him well.

I want to see the coaching equation proved right or wrong, from both sides. If he's successful somewhere else, the evidence will be significant, he wasn't the problem. If he's successful elsewhere, AND we hire a consensus blue chip coach, & he's NOT successful, well.... the evidence will then be overwhelming, the problem is Jerry, & very difficult to deny, even from double speak Jones himself.

I hope Garrett goes to the Commanders, or Giants. That would only amplify the competition for the immediate future, & be very entertaining. This whole process may change Garrett, & his style. Part of me wants to see him be successful somewhere else. Yet, it would be hard to root for him if he's in our division..lol. Maybe he'd be better off going to the Browns...hahaha.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would make me change teams as well. Tell that piece of trash to go show us all what a great coach he really is. Gtf away from this team Jason. Jerry dont be stupid.

Well, Jason and Jerry are a marriage made in hell. How many legit coaches would accept not choosing their staff? We are the only organization in the NFL where the head coach does not pick his staff. That not only tells you a lot about the organization but also about the HC who would accept such job terms. In the war room, JG is just another lobbyist at the table. Most of the reason I don't like Garret is b/c he is a rollover head coach. He just tolerates too much. He seemed to be just happy with a job that paid him more than he ever made as a player.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Hey, check this out. Jerry's going to wait to move on from Garrett to preserve the relationship.

I didn’t say he was going to wait. If you actually read my post— I said just bc he didn’t announce anything at his presser last night, didn’t mean he hadn’t made a decision or made some preparations.

And yes— this is going to be an amicable divorce. You will only hear JJ and JG say nice things about each other. There is genuine love there.

But please— keep misquoting me and misrepresenting me O Wise Risen Who Knows All

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe he's just a red herring?

I'm hoping that it was just some talk to quell the reports about the Cowboys having talked with Meyer. Things got really quiet after those reports surfaced. In fact, Meyer stated he doubts he'd coach again and Jerry quoted the success rates of college coaches in the NFL. Hopefully, it was just talk to put a lid on things.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Well, Jason and Jerry are a marriage made in hell. How many legit coaches would accept not choosing their staff? We are the only organization in the NFL where the head coach does not pick his staff. That not only tells you a lot about the organization but also about the HC who would accept such job terms. In the war room, JG is just another lobbyist at the table. Most of the reason I don't like Garret is b/c he is a rollover head coach. He just tolerates too much. He seemed to be just happy with a job that paid him more than he ever made as a player.
Garrett doesn't know any good coaches anyway so jerry prob had to pick his staff. No legit coaches want to work under garrett.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In true Jerry fashion, watch him and his family take a vacation this week while other teams are interviewing candidates.

The only way this makes any sense is if they are interested in a coach that is currently still coaching.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett doesn't know any good coaches anyway so jerry prob had to pick his staff. No legit coaches want to work under garrett.

Well, thats what happens when your picked to HC ahead of your time. Jerry has the same issue. He doesn't know this new generation of coaches and GMs. He hasn't the foggiest idea who to hire.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
No,but it sure feels like it knowing the word leaking out and sitting here checking updates.