Twitter: Rapoport: Unlikely Jerry waits until January 14th to make a decision on Garrett

Gaede

Reaction score
Are we having a serious conversation?

You don't think the Cowboys not making a decision on Garrett impacts his interest around the league?

They will want to make the decision clear as soon as possible. That is in the interests of both parties.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
his contract is up in january, he doesn't have to do anything. Jason can talk to the giants or anybody else now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would hate that. McCarthy's offense was stale and predictable, and if not for Aaron Rodgers abilities things would have gone even worse than they did. And McCarthy could never get his defenses figured out by having a good enough defensive coordinator. He's one of the last guys I'd want to get this job.
I agree. But he is still a vast improvement over JG. On his worst day as a HC..he is way better than Garrett.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

You don't think the Cowboys not making a decision on Garrett impacts his interest around the league?

Are you asking what I would do if I were Jerry? Or my opinion on what Jerry is going to do?

Two very different answers lol...

In my post I am simply offering my perspective on what Jerry is doing. The fact is that with Garrett’s contract expiring— he does not have to fire him. Both the Cowboys and Garrett are free to explore their next moves without publicly disclosing anything.

I am trying to understand what would prevent either side from conducting interviews and making preparations— just don’t see what is stopping anyone from having the freedom to make a move considering the dynamics that are there with the contract expiring

But enlighten me Risen... please. If I am wrong— show me the light bro lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. But he is still a vast improvement over JG. On his worst day as a HC..he is way better than Garrett.

I'm not sure. I mean I would probably take just about anyone that wasn't Garrett, but I think Rodgers ability carried McCarthy a long way. And it was telling that he couldn't find a job last year and now has to campaign to get back in the picture.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry won't wait til Jan 14 or whatever. Its very likely he and Stevie have it narrowed down to about 2 or 3 guys they want. Heck, they may already have a HC in waiting but want to check the temperature of the players first. Ian Rapoport already said this.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Doubtful. Urban has already stated the Cowboy job would be the one job that would interest him enough to unretire. What has to happen first is a conversation between Jerry and Jason Garret. I have a sneaking suspicion Garret may be about to join the cowboys front office and help Jerry hire a new coach.
"Jason, I'm tired of meddling with the HC. How about you come join me in the front office, and you can meddle with the coach after I tell you what I want him to do?"

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Jason, I'm tired of meddling with the HC. How about you come join me in the front office, and you can meddle with the coach after I tell you what I want him to do?"

You think Jerry wants to fire JG? I think Jerry likes him around. Sure it would be awkward at first, but that's never stopped Jerry from doing what he wants to do.

rags747

Reaction score
You people are crazy, do you really think that Jerry has not already had backdoor discussions with who they intend to hire? Come on...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you asking what I would do if I were Jerry? Or my opinion on what Jerry is going to do?

Two very different answers lol...

In my post I am simply offering my perspective on what Jerry is doing. The fact is that with Garrett’s contract expiring— he does not have to fire him. Both the Cowboys and Garrett are free to explore their next moves without publicly disclosing anything.

I am trying to understand what would prevent either side from conducting interviews and making preparations— just don’t see what is stopping anyone from having the freedom to make a move considering the dynamics that are there with the contract expiring

But enlighten me Risen... please. If I am wrong— show me the light bro lol

Oh, I don't know. Teams knowing Garrett wants to remain in Dallas. Garrett knowing interviewing with other teams wouldn't improve his chances with an owner that covets loyalty.

You are doing a coach no favors keeping him in limbo and even if there's no contract Garrett very much is.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Also— do you seriously think Jason doesn’t have an agent or rep that negotiates for him? Just like players have a deal in place long before free agency starts— I am sure there have been exploratory calls and discreet discussions taking place as this season has worn down.

Remember the press leak from Garrett’s camp before the New England game about him wanting to coach in NY?

Trust me— if team’s are interested in Garrett as a coach they can make their interest known . You may not hear about it in the media— but it doesn’t mean there aren’t back room meetings happening.

Gaede

Reaction score
You people are crazy, do you really think that Jerry has not already had backdoor discussions with who they intend to hire? Come on...

If he intended to hire someone new

Could be he hasn't initiated any conversations cause he's bringing Garrett back

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You think Jerry wants to fire JG? I think Jerry likes him around. Sure it would be awkward at first, but that's never stopped Jerry from doing what he wants to do.
I don't think I said anything to make anyone think I think that, did I? Lol. No, I think Jerry wants to keep his adopted son around, even if it means handing him a promotion.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think I said anything to make anyone think I think that, did I? Lol. No, I think Jerry wants to keep his adopted son around, even if it means handing him a promotion.

Its classic Dilbert Principle. You promote the incompetent into management to get them out of the way of more capable people.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. Teams knowing Garrett wants to remain in Dallas. Garrett knowing interviewing with other teams wouldn't improve his chances with an owner that covets loyalty.

You are doing a coach no favors keeping him in limbo and even if there's no contract Garrett very much is.

Speculation. He is not in limbo. He has no contract as of Jan 14. How is him exploring future options being disloyal to Jerry?

I think what is happening is simple: fans are pissed and want to see Garrett fired. JJ is disappointed and resigned to what he must do— but he loves Jason and he is going to do nothing but sing his praises publicly, while talking about the need for macro change and “new direction” for the franchise.

But IMO— with respect— I think you are seeing roadblocks to Garrett’s next gig that simply aren’t there. This is going to be about as amicable a divorce as you will ever see. Both sides may already have been sleeping with their next spouses— but they aren’t going to drag each other though the mud and throw their crap on the lawn for the whole neighborhood to gossip about lol

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Doubtful. Urban has already stated the Cowboy job would be the one job that would interest him enough to unretire. What has to happen first is a conversation between Jerry and Jason Garret. I have a sneaking suspicion Garret may be about to join the cowboys front office and help Jerry hire a new coach.
That would make me change teams as well. Tell that piece of trash to go show us all what a great coach he really is. Gtf away from this team Jason. Jerry dont be stupid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
where do they come up with these dates? thats an odd contract ending but must be a reason..

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I get the feeling that Urban has changed his mind about being a head coach in the pros.

I don’t think he’ll get another college job so it may be the NFL or stay in broadcasting for him. Which given his health issues may be the best plan for him.