Rapoport: Wentz tears ACL Per Eagles HC **merged**

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So he won't come back from his ACL injury?

I don't know. RG3 didn't come back from his injuries and neither did Greg Cook. Lots of injuries for a guy in a short career and this one they think occurred prior to getting hit.

He also played at a small school, so him getting injured due to the rigors of the NFL was only a matter of time.

YR

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
One thing, football is a year to year thing, next year they might not make the playoffs the way the NFL works even with a healthy Wentz coming back.

You are correct. Here is the Eagles' 2018 opponents, outside of the division:

@Saints, @Bucs, @Jaguars, @Titans, @Rams (or @Seahawks if they pull ahead)
Falcons, Panthers, Vikings, Texans, Colts

Ours is no walk in the park either, though.

CWR

Reaction score
Wentz will recover but Im telling yall the guy doesnt have the frame to support the running and risks he takes with his body. He can be elusive all he needs but he has no business taking on defenses like he has. An injury was bound to happen.

River82

Reaction score
I don't know. RG3 didn't come back from his injuries and neither did Greg Cook. Lots of injuries for a guy in a short career and this one they think occurred prior to getting hit.

RG3 tore his ACL in 2012, and his play declined significantly in 2013. Mainly because he was all about the run, so he was done and dusted. Wentz will return but he can't be as mobile as he once was, especially considering he has a significantly higher chance of reinjuring his ACL.

Sydla

Reaction score

He also played at a small school, so him getting injured due to the rigors of the NFL was only a matter of time.

YR

So you don't know if he'll come back but you think people should start to consider him a bust.

Makes sense. LOL.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Sadly, Wentz will be fine after surgery.

And I heard he's performing the surgery.

During the off-season, I heard several Falcons guys go on and on about how they were actually going to be better this year. They strengthened their team, blah, blah, blah. The previous year, the Panthers thought they would be close to their 2015 level.

Wentz will be back but he'll probably be back with a weaker team even if it doesn't look like that on paper. The NFL is the Patriots and a bunch of yoyo's.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Winning the division was at a costly price for the Eagles and NFC East division champs is all they were ever have. This might have been their best chance at winning the Superbowl. There is no guarantee that Wentz will play at the same level when he returns from injury. Rodgers will be back, Dak is starting to play will again and I don't see the Giants going 2-11 next season. :igglestrophy:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't know. RG3 didn't come back from his injuries and neither did Greg Cook.

Greg Cook? Seems like a very strange comparison to RG3 and Wentz.

Cook suffered a torn rotator cuff in 1969, similar to the injury Brees had in 2005. Unfortunately, Cook wasn't shutdown for the season, then the surgery he had sliced through muscle - arthroscopic wasn't a thing yet. His arm was never the same.

How that compares to RG3 or Wentz is anyone's guess.

Sydla

Reaction score
Winning the division was at a costly price for the Eagles and NFC East division champs is all they were ever have. This might have been their best chance at winning the Superbowl. There is no guarantee that Wentz will play at the same level when he returns from injury. Rodgers will be back, Dak is starting to play will again and I don't see the Giants going 2-11 next season. :igglestrophy:

They might not go 2-11, but the Giants will likely stink again next year, especially if they go with a QB of the future in the draft.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Watching the Eagles game yesterday the key play for both teams was the taunting penalty. After a key 3rd down stop the Ram’s defensive back couldn’t help himself and taunted the Eagle’s receiver right in front of the official. The 15-yard penalty and automatic first down led to an Eagles TD pass by Wentz which cost the Rams the game. But Wentz was injured on the extended drive which likely ended the Eagles’ season . It’s ironic how things work out sometimes. Hard to know what’s good and what’s bad.

Reminds me of the ancient story about the Chinese farmer:

One day the farmer’s horse runs away. And his neighbor comes over and says, to commiserate, “I’m so sorry about your horse.” And the farmer says “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?” The neighbor is confused because this is clearly terrible. The horse is the most valuable thing he owns.

But the horse comes back the next day and he brings with him 12 feral horses. The neighbor comes back over to celebrate, “Congratulations on your great fortune!” And the farmer replies again: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

And the next day the farmer’s son is taming one of the wild horses and he’s thrown and breaks his leg. The neighbor comes back over, “I’m so sorry about your son.” The farmer repeats: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

Sure enough, the next day the army comes through their village and is conscripting able-bodied young men to go and fight in war, but the son is spared because of his broken leg.

And this story can go on and on like that. Good. Bad. Who knows?

IheartRomo

Reaction score
There is undoubtedly some validity to the fact that Wentz's reckless style puts him in harm's way. I was talking to my former roommate who is a huge Eagles fan about this a couple weeks back and I was comparing him to Romo in the way that their escapability is/was their greatest trait. While Wentz's body is far more able to sustain hits than Romo's ever was, QBs playing this style no matter their size (including Roethlisberger to some degree) will sustain injuries more often than those who do not (i.e. both Mannings, Brady, etc.).

Rodgers comes to mind as one of the greatest in NFL history when it comes to elusiveness but he is better at avoiding hits especially past the LOS. Wentz will have to adjust and, at least IMO, this will take some of the shine off his game until he's able to fix some of the accuracy issues he has.

His future is obviously extremely bright, but he'll have to learn to play smarter, especially considering he's likely to be at least marginally less explosive with his legs following the injury.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Wentz will recover but Im telling yall the guy doesnt have the frame to support the running and risks he takes with his body. He can be elusive all he needs but he has no business taking on defenses like he has. An injury was bound to happen.
Wait, what? The dude is nearly 240 lbs and 6'5".

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So you don't know if he'll come back but you think people should start to consider him a bust.

Makes sense. LOL.

He's very injury prone. Can't be a factor when you're not playing. And at the QB position that is a very big requirement.

It's just a hard fact to face for some that Wentz may be a bust just like RG3 fans had to face that issue.

YR