Rashaan Evans VS Leighton Vander Esch

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the last several days I’ve been campaigning for the Cowboys to draft a run-stopping linebacker (Rashaan Evans) over a coverage linebacker (Leighton Van Esch), should they address the position in the first round of this year’s draft. What I have not done is truly breakdown why I believe the Cowboys should focus more on stopping the run versus stopping the pass, when it comes to the type of defensive players they take in the upcoming draft.

The specific debate in question is whether or not the Cowboys should draft Rashaan Evans (run-stopper) or Leighton Van Esch (coverage linebacker). Before moving forward, I should probably point out that even though the aforementioned linebackers seem to be more adept at one versus the other (run-stopping vs coverage), that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are scrubs at the other skillset. For instance, Rashaan is not really seen as a coverage linebacker because he wasn’t used that way; that doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t do it.

Alternatively, Leighton was used more in coverage than Evans and therefore had more opportunities to display his ability in that area…but just like with Evans, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a wet paper sack against the run; based on what I’ve watched and read about Leighton, he’s an instinctive player with above-average athleticism, and is absolutely a tackling machine. So there will be no tears in my beer should the Cowboys decide one way or another…though, I do still believe Esch would be a reach at 19 in consideration of the competition he played against while in college. Evans is a product of the NFL player factory Alabama Crimson Tide, so the adjustment from college to the NFL will not be nearly as pronounced as it would be for Esch.

2017 Stats:

Rashaan Evans – in 12 Games, he had 35 solo tackles, 39 assist, 13 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 3 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Leighton Vander Esch – in 14 games, he had 91 solo tackles, 50 assist, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 2 interceptions, 5 passes defensed, and 4 forced fumbles.

Before deciding based on stats that Leighton is the better player, keep in mind he played in the Mountain West Conference lining up behind a subpar defensive line (as compared to the defensive line of Alabama) and Rashaan plays in the SEC (SEC >MWC…and it’s not even close) behind a line that features players both on the defensive line and in the secondary who will also be drafted in the top 50 this year, so clearly Rashaan was up against stronger competition on the other side of the ball surrounded by stronger competition to get to the ball carrier.

Looking at the Cowboys linebacking core as it stands now, outside of Sean Lee, there really is no one adept at sifting through traffic and shutting the run down before it gets started. I like Jaylon’s potential, but I believe in this particular area, he really struggles. Runs up the middle, he often times allowed the action to come to him rather than meeting the runner at the hole. On runs to the outside, I would often see him late to diagnose and he would take poor angles to the ball carrier, often landing in a trail position where he did not have the overall speed necessary to catch up to the ball. This is why I suspect the Cowboys are considering moving him to Strong Side; the move, in a manner of speaking, cuts the field in half for him, and gives him a little more time to diagnose where the ball is going before he attacks.

The Jaylon transition to the strong side (as well as Hitchens Free Agency exit) leaves a gaping hole in the Cowboys’ defense at middle linebacker. In my opinion, it is critical that the Cowboys value explosion to the ball carrier over adept coverage ability, when ultimately deciding how to address that particular vacancy.

Why?

Complimentary football.

The Cowboys offense, since 2014, has adopted a ball-control strategy. Everything the Cowboys do hinges on their run game. If the run game is successful the Cowboys typically win. If the run game is stifled, the Cowboys usually lose. But, even if the Cowboys do get their ground game going, there is one other consideration their success hinges on: their ability to in turn shutdown the oppositions run game. It’s critical. There is no way around it. If you don’t believe me, go re-watch the Rams, Falcons, or the Broncos game from 2017 for a visual representation of what I mean.

Clearly, it is also imperative that the Cowboys be able to keep pace with the passing offenses that are out there; I’m not advocating they ignore that aspect of their defense. But in terms of ardent needs that their roster currently has, a linebacker adept at getting to the ball carrier in a hurry would be ideal. To be honest, my preference (for this same reason) would be for the Cowboys to draft Vita Vea. But since he is not likely to be available at 19 (and if he was, there is little guarantee the Cowboys will change their stance on the value of a true 1-tech), the next best option available would be to address the middle of their defense at the next level.

Thoughts?
I thought, I thought a putty cat!! Sorry, just doing my garrett impression!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I just don't like Evans. He looks slow to react, average in coverage, and his measurables don't jump out at me. If I'm taking a LB in the top 20, I either want a really high-floor guy who's a near lock to perform (like Roquon), or a guy with a defense-changing ceiling and a path to reach it. I don't see either with Evans, I think he's more of an average starter than anything else. I'd take him in the second, but #19 is a joke.

LVE's upside is intoxicating. He tested like a wide receiver at 6'4" 257 and he's great at finding the ball. I fully admit that there's a lot of risk in taking a one year starter from Boise State, and that he doesn't bang around with blockers as well as his massive frame would suggest. But LBs with that combo of athleticism and play recognition are a rare breed. LVE made a lot of progress over one year starting, and I think his best football is ahead of him - he was already scary in his last game versus Oregon.

Last edited:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Funny you should mention it. Given the crowded receiver room at present, there are a couple of scenario's I could see playing out:

1. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly about this, but the way the draft seems to be shaping up, guys like Christian Kirk and/or DJ Moore could fall to the second round. 1. Wide Receivers taken in the first round in recent years have not panned out to an extent that would warrant taking them in the first round. 2. They both are widely regarded as slot players in the NFL, given their size. If one or both of them falls, I could see the Cowboys packaging Beasley with picks to grab one.

2. If there is an ideal replacement for what Dez brings in the draft, that is either Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown. Should the Cowboys acquire either, considering the other acquisitions they made in Free Agency, the Cowboys might look to trade Dez for Thomas straight up...or package Dez with late 2019 picks.

3. If Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown falls out of the first (which I know is unlikely), they may look to do the same scenario as 1, but with Dez instead of Beasley.

Note: Honestly, I'd prefer the Cowboys not address receiver at all. I think we have a receiving core you can win with and I think our needs are more pronounced elsewhere on the team. But given the number of pro days and visits they have had with receivers, you have to know the Cowboys think otherwise.
If Dallas is really going to cut Dez, then WR becomes a priority hence why they have looked at practically every WR in this draft. I agree we dont have to take one in the 1st either, also St.Brown isn't going in the first round.

jday

Reaction score
How do you ever choose a player then? There's ALWAYS every single year players who end up being much better than players drafted before them.
It's a gamble...you do the best you can with the information available, period.
The info available suggest LVE may have excelled due to his athleticism. That's my concern regarding small-school guys who seemingly combine their way in. I'm not saying you don't take him period...but you do let other suckers take him in the first round...there are exceptions to every rule...I just don't think he is one of them.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
If Dallas is really going to cut Dez, then WR becomes a priority hence why they have looked at practically every WR in this draft. I agree we dont have to take one in the 1st either, also St.Brown isn't going in the first round.
Hopefully St. Brown be there at 50. First round probably defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Neither are top 20 talents so I really hope we don't take either at 19.

Both are guys with about 1 year of experience playing MLB, way too big of a gamble in the top 20.

There will be much better options available.

Klingo3034

Reaction score

Both are guys with about 1 year of experience playing MLB, way too big of a gamble in the top 20.

Don't have money for FA linebacker. Have to draft one.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score

If it's down to those two. I take LVE. He looks smoother in all of his movements and the numbers don't lie. If he had 75% of those numbers at Alabama or Ohio State he'd be a top 10 pick across the board.
The downside is that both are borderline first rounders because I think this draft only has like 14 first rounders. The meat is 2ND through 4th rounds.

Sandyf

Reaction score
It Dallas could swing it, I would take them both but that isn't going to happen. The NFL is more and more a passing league but runs still dominate. The question to me is not just this year but down the line. Lee will be 32 this year and his replacement is needed. I believe more than most that Jaylon Smith is the real deal. LVE appears more suited to take Lee's spot eventually and handle the SAM spot this year. So I would go with LVE as the choice and then pick a Fred Warner or Oren Burks in the 4th round to back up Smith at the MIKE.

jday

Reaction score
I just don't like Evans. He looks slow to react, average in coverage, and his measurables don't jump out at me. If I'm taking a LB in the top 20, I either want a really high-floor guy who's a near lock to perform (like Roquon), or a guy with a defense-changing ceiling and a path to reach it. I don't see either with Evans, I think he's more of an average starter than anything else. I'd take him in the second, but #19 is a joke.

LVE's upside is intoxicating. He tested like a wide receiver at 6'4" 257 and he's great at finding the ball. I fully admit that there's a lot of risk in taking a one year starter from Boise State, and that he doesn't bang around with blockers as well as his massive frame would suggest. But LBs with that combo of athleticism and play recognition are a rare breed. LVE made a lot of progress over one year starting, and I think his best football is ahead of him - he was already scary in his last game versus Oregon.

Great Post! :thumbup:

I respect your opinion, but for what the Cowboys are most likely looking for, I think Evans is the better fit. If they are looking to replace Sean Lee in case of injury, however, that might be LVE. I say Evans because I don't think they will play a rookie on passing downs...that will most likely be Sean Lee and either Jaylon or a Safety. For that reason, I'm leaning towards Evans because I honestly think he is better against the run. LVE's coverage skills, unless Lee is injured, would mostly be wasted on this team. But that is just my opinion.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Sorry I had to stop reading after I read...coverage linebacker (Leighton Van Esch), :laugh:

Couldn't be further from the truth...

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Evans is going to drop like a stone. Reports are that he wouldnt run at Pro day.

And ticked off a ton of scouts who specifically went down there to watch him run...Twitter was saying 28 teams had some kind of reps there. Talk about burning some bridges before being built.:omg:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Dream draft:

1st Round: Vea
2nd Round: Trade up to get LVE
3rd Round: St. Brown

I know this isn't very realistic. Vea most likely won't be there at 19 and LVE won't last until our pick in the second round. Thus calling it my dream draft. I suppose if we don't draft a LB with our first round pick, we could trade back up to get LVE, depending on where we'd have to trade back up to.

I hope we do quite a bit of trading with our picks. Do we really need to draft 10 players??? No. Get 6 really good players that can help us right now. Ten aren't making the team anyway.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Dream draft:

1st Round: Vea
2nd Round: Trade up to get LVE
3rd Round: St. Brown

I know this isn't very realistic. Vea most likely won't be there at 19 and LVE won't last until our pick in the second round. Thus calling it my dream draft. I suppose if we don't draft a LB with our first round pick, we could trade back up to get LVE, depending on where we'd have to trade back up to.

If I have a dream about the draft that unrealistic, I'm going to be the getting drafted.

... and my 50 year old wife will morph into two 25 year olds.