Rate the last movie you saw

Creeper

Reaction score
I watched "Babel" for the first time. Brad Pitt has made some awful movies and this is one of them. Like several Pitt movies, this one is too long, goes nowhere most of the time. And frankly, while I know what the movie was trying to say, I got a different message and it is not the one the movie intended. I rate this one a 4 out of 10.

I also watched "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Johansen. Yes, she gets naked in the movie a few times (and you will be disappointed), but the movie is very campy, with few words. It is mostly a story told through scenes not dialogue. It is an interesting concept but the style makes it hard to watch. I can't pan it completely, but you have to be in the mood to watch this unless you are just a lecherous horndog. I would give it a 6.5 or 7 overall because it is an interesting story.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Day of the Dead" (1985)

The 3rd of the George Romero "Dead" movies.

When released in '85 considered a let-down from George's 1978 "Dawn of the Dead".

It was darker and the scope of the movie was much smaller than the universe "Dawn" inhabited.

Consequently it wasn't given much of a chance by critics or fans.

George Romero's vision for the movie was initially wider in scope than how it turned out due to lack of funding/support from the studio.

Essentially a small group of military and scientists occupy an abandon underground missile bunker and storage facility in Florida. The scientists are trying to find a cure to the plague of the undead walking the earth to eat the living. The military are rapidly losing soldiers and are sick of being in the bunker.

As is typical "zombie world" fashion humans are as much a threat to other humans as are the undead.

While the movie was received poorly at the time over the past couple decades the perception of the movie has improved considerably. The timing of the movie did not help much either by 1985 the steam was being let out of the horror genre balloon that had been going strong since 1978.

One big advantage of "Day" over "Dawn" were the special affects which had improved significantly over those in "Dawn" 7 years prior–the special affects in "Day" were much closer what one would see in present day zombie movies and TV shows.

I have two "quibbles" with the movie...

The first one being that some of the zombies were seen in more than one location of the set (they had on unique costumes which made them easy to pick out).

The second is a complaint I've had with many zombie related movies and is a complaint I have with "The Walking Dead" TV show is that the zombies quite often exhibit "super human" strength attacking the living and tearing apart bodies–It just doesn't make sense to me.

IMDB rates "Day of the Dead" at 7.1 (conversely "Dawn of the Dead" is rated 7.8)

"Day" is a darned good movie in its own right.

I would give it a 7.5/10

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Halloween III: Season of the Witch" (1982)

Wow! Fans and critics alike fire-bombed this movie when it came out!

With no Michael Meyers and a story that was a little more complicated than your typical slasher film of the era it just didn't gel with many.

As the story goes John Carpenter and Debra Hill had the idea of a series of standalone Halloween (the holiday, not the slasher film) movies–With "Season of the Witch" being the first.

But since the movie, while profitable did not generate the money slasher films of the era did, the idea was dropped.

I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Went to see it during its opening run and loved the originality of it.

Over the years, like several horror films of that era like "The Shining", "The Thing" and "Day of the Dead", this movie has gained fans and has become a cult-classic.

IMDB rates it 5.1/10 which seems stunningly low to me and smacks of the carryover of dislike many had for the film originally. I think it's a solid 6.5/10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Dr Sleep" (2019)

I had waited quite a while to see this movie... For 2 reasons.

The first being I didn't want to be disappointed. For me "The Shining" is one of the greatest movies of all time and in the horror/thriller genre the greatest movie.

And I knew as opposed to King's book "Dr. Sleep" the movie was heavily influenced by Kubrick's movie and so there was the potential to be disappointed with how "Dr. Sleep" portrayed or meshed with Kubrick's work.

The flip-side was that I didn't want to irrationally dislike "Dr. Sleep" either. Again, Kubrick's movie is the pinnacle for me and while I didn't want to be disappointed in "Dr. Sleep" I didn't want to dislike it due to the new movie somehow damaging my feelings of the old.

Anyway back to "Dr. Sleep"...

I thought the movie plodded along a little too much for the first hour.

The scenes with the post-Overlook Danny and Wendy were decent! I thought the gal who played Wendy did a bang-up job of looking and sounding like Shelley Duvall. I didn't think the kid was as good a match, but he was OK.

The guy playing Scatman Crother's character was also very good.

The star of the movie was the gal who played "Rose the Hat".

The movie picked up speed in the second hour.

The part of the movie that took placed in the Overlook Hotel only lasted about 15 minutes but carried the movie.

I was not disappointed nor did I dislike the treatment of the Overlook sequence. I thought the director respected Kubrick's work and did nothing to besmirch "The Shining".

Overall I thought it was a good, entertaining movie–"The Shining" it was not, but it was still a decent watch.

IMDB gives it a 7.3 which is about right in my opinion. For the sake of comparison Kubrick's "The Shining" is rated at 8.4 on IMDB.

A couple notes...

-I was impressed with how much of the soundtrack from "The Shining" was also used on "Dr. Sleep".
-The use of the same font employed in "The Shining" to indicate places and dates was also used in "Dr. Sleep" which helped with continuity.
-I thought whomever was responsible for the sets did a marvelous job recreating the Overlook from Kubrick's movie.

A couple things you may not have noticed...

-Early in the movie, Danny is sitting in an office and that office is set up to look just like the office Jack Torrance sat in when he was interviewed for the caretaker's job at the Overlook.
-The little girl in the movie whom Rose the Hat (and others) try to get under their control lived in a house that carried the house number "1980"–Which was the year "The Shining" was released (I'm sure that wasn't by accident).

Stephen King said he liked the movie and felt it helped wipe away some of the angst he had for Kubrick's movie–I think some of that had to do with how the Overlook ended up being destroyed (fire due to a boiler blowing up which is how King's version of "The Shining" ended).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Halloween III: Season of the Witch" (1982)

Wow! Fans and critics alike fire-bombed this movie when it came out!

With no Michael Meyers and a story that was a little more complicated than your typical slasher film of the era it just didn't gel with many.

As the story goes John Carpenter and Debra Hill had the idea of a series of standalone Halloween (the holiday, not the slasher film) movies–With "Season of the Witch" being the first.

But since the movie, while profitable did not generate the money slasher films of the era did, the idea was dropped.

I gotta say, I enjoyed it. Went to see it during its opening run and loved the originality of it.

Over the years, like several horror films of that era like "The Shining", "The Thing" and "Day of the Dead", this movie has gained fans and has become a cult-classic.

IMDB rates it 5.1/10 which seems stunningly low to me and smacks of the carryover of dislike many had for the film originally. I think it's a solid 6.5/10.

I think that it suffered a lot from some fans feeling ‘betrayed’ because it had the Halloween name without Michael Myers. And I think the producers bear responsibility for that. They tried to have it both ways. Use the credibility of the name, while doing something different. And it blew up on their faces and the film could never overcome the backlash.

I watched in years ago, but recently bought the digital version on sale. I’ve been doing that a lot. I haven’t sat down to rewatch it yet but I soon will. I’m actually (slowly) watching the most recent Halloween trilogy.

Creeper

Reaction score
I watched "Virtuosity" the other day with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Not great, not bad, but what shocked me is that 10 year old Kelly Cuoco is in the movie as the 9 year old daughter of Kelly Lynch's character. I did not realize she was a childhood actress.

mldardy

Reaction score
"Dr Sleep" (2019)

I had waited quite a while to see this movie... For 2 reasons.

The first being I didn't want to be disappointed. For me "The Shining" is one of the greatest movies of all time and in the horror/thriller genre the greatest movie.

And I knew as opposed to King's book "Dr. Sleep" the movie was heavily influenced by Kubrick's movie and so there was the potential to be disappointed with how "Dr. Sleep" portrayed or meshed with Kubrick's work.

The flip-side was that I didn't want to irrationally dislike "Dr. Sleep" either. Again, Kubrick's movie is the pinnacle for me and while I didn't want to be disappointed in "Dr. Sleep" I didn't want to dislike it due to the new movie somehow damaging my feelings of the old.

Anyway back to "Dr. Sleep"...

I thought the movie plodded along a little too much for the first hour.

The scenes with the post-Overlook Danny and Wendy were decent! I thought the gal who played Wendy did a bang-up job of looking and sounding like Shelley Duvall. I didn't think the kid was as good a match, but he was OK.

The guy playing Scatman Crother's character was also very good.

The star of the movie was the gal who played "Rose the Hat".

The movie picked up speed in the second hour.

The part of the movie that took placed in the Overlook Hotel only lasted about 15 minutes but carried the movie.

I was not disappointed nor did I dislike the treatment of the Overlook sequence. I thought the director respected Kubrick's work and did nothing to besmirch "The Shining".

Overall I thought it was a good, entertaining movie–"The Shining" it was not, but it was still a decent watch.

IMDB gives it a 7.3 which is about right in my opinion. For the sake of comparison Kubrick's "The Shining" is rated at 8.4 on IMDB.

A couple notes...

-I was impressed with how much of the soundtrack from "The Shining" was also used on "Dr. Sleep".
-The use of the same font employed in "The Shining" to indicate places and dates was also used in "Dr. Sleep" which helped with continuity.
-I thought whomever was responsible for the sets did a marvelous job recreating the Overlook from Kubrick's movie.

A couple things you may not have noticed...

-Early in the movie, Danny is sitting in an office and that office is set up to look just like the office Jack Torrance sat in when he was interviewed for the caretaker's job at the Overlook.
-The little girl in the movie whom Rose the Hat (and others) try to get under their control lived in a house that carried the house number "1980"–Which was the year "The Shining" was released (I'm sure that wasn't by accident).

Stephen King said he liked the movie and felt it helped wipe away some of the angst he had for Kubrick's movie–I think some of that had to do with how the Overlook ended up being destroyed (fire due to a boiler blowing up which is how King's version of "The Shining" ended).
You should watch the director's cut sometime. It's worth it IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched "Virtuosity" the other day with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Not great, not bad, but what shocked me is that 10 year old Kelly Cuoco is in the movie as the 9 year old daughter of Kelly Lynch's character. I did not realize she was a childhood actress.
Neither did I...well, not that young anyway. The first time I ever saw her was in 8 Simple Rules.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Thor 4.

7/10

Thought I was going to hate it because read so many negative reviews here, but it’s not a bad movie at all.

One of the best Marvel movies? Probably not, but there’s so many to pick from now.

I will say I enjoyed it over every last Marvel Movie I saw except the Spider-Man flick. Was better than Doctor Strange 2 and Eternals.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thor 4.

7/10

Thought I was going to hate it because read so many negative reviews here, but it’s not a bad movie at all.

One of the best Marvel movies? Probably not, but there’s so many to pick from now.

I will say I enjoyed it over every last Marvel Movie I saw except the Spider-Man flick. Was better than Doctor Strange 2 and Eternals.
I have to disagree. While DS2 and Eternals were disappointing, I know I won't ever watch Thor:Love and Thunder again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Top Gun: Maverick - Honestly expected too much, with the way people raved about it.
Up until they got to the first class, it was just a bunch of guys trying to act like the guys in the first movie. The mission seemed like they shouldn't have even been using fighters, but bombers or drones. And the guy who ended up becoming admiral just seemed like the obligatory antagonist. So much of the last 15 minutes was predictable.
If they'd had Jennifer Connelly in the first movie, instead of Kelly McGillis, that one would have been even better than it was.

Overall, I give it an 8/10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Midnight Meat Train" (2008)

I first watched this movie many years ago when the SyFy Channel actually played some horror movies.

I saw that it was on one of the Pluto channels tonight so I watched it again...

Based on a Clive Barker short story, it's the story of a series of murders that occur on a specific subway train.

Just when you think you know why it's happening, you find out that you don't.

Other than that it's a violent and bloody movie.

But it's very watchable and doesn't follow a typical horror movie path.

6/10

timb2

Reaction score
Saw " A Few Dollars More". I've seen all the other Eastwood. Spaghetti Westerns, just not this one in full. Enjoyed vs most new movies that are annoying,no plot,no acting,just CGI or a bunch of Woke Crap.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"13 Ghosts" (2001)

The 2nd of the William Castle remakes (the other being the 1999 "House on Haunted Hill").

Where "House on Haunted Hill" had a somewhat simple plot, this one was more complicated which probably contributed to this movie not being as well received as was "House".

That and there simply were not many scares in this one.

Like several of the horror movies I've reviewed lately, this one has become somewhat of a "cult classic".

IMDB rates it 6/10.

I think it's more 5.5/10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"An American Werewolf in London" (1981)

1981 was an amazing year for werewolf movies with both this and "The Howling" both being released.

It had been years since a "move-the-needle" werewolf movie had been released in the US.

From what I've read neither of the companies behind either movie knew the other was releasing a werewolf flick.

Really no competition between the two as both were as different as night & day–I was lucky enough to be able to see both when they were originally released.

Anyway back to "An American Werewolf in London"...

You knew the movie was going to be different from the opening sequence and the song "Blue Moon" by Bobby Vinton being played in the background.

A strength of the movie is the remarkable scenery shown at the beginning.

The movie is strong from start to finish.

Some believe it is the greatest werewolf-movie of all-time.

And it may be. I have a tough time with that, not because it isn't a great movie but because it mixes in comedy and other bits that one doesn't find in any other werewolf flick.

On top of the strong story, acting and photography the soundtrack is excellent. Also, for the time period the transformation from human to werewolf stunned audiences with how realistic it appeared.

Plus I've always had a crush on Jenny Agutter. :)

IMDB rates it a 7.5.

I'd rate it 8.0/10.

triplets_93

Reaction score
4 1.2 Stars/5

The Final Credits to "The Big Short," the great film about the Housing Market Collapse in 2007-2008.