DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Till (2022)
J508Kw9.png

8.00 of 10.00

The movie could not omit the victim of one of the most hideous murders in recorded history. Even the mortuary and funeral were included in explicit graphic detail. It felt like my heart was pulled from my chest. Not at all ashamed to admit tears flowed.

Emmett Till's story was already known. This movie focused on the true story of Mamie Till-Mobley, a loving and devoted mother, whose worst fear became horrific reality. What happened after was a testimonial in a mother's perseverance and superhuman bravery in seeking justice.

Not sure how well the film will fare during awards season. None of the supporting cast stands out. Direction was good. Cinematography was good. Costume design was good. Everything was good enough. Nothing really knocks the movie out the park, so HOW good will be critiqued by cinema's peers.

One thing I fully expect is a Best Actress nomination for Danielle Deadwyler. She takes the audience through a full-spectrum, emotional whirlwind no human being should ever endure.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Till (2022)
J508Kw9.png

8.00 of 10.00

The movie could not omit the victim of one of the most hideous murders in recorded history. Even the mortuary and funeral were included in explicit graphic detail. It felt like my heart was pulled from my chest. Not at all ashamed to admit tears flowed.

Emmitt Till's story was already known. This movie focused on the true story of Mamie Till-Mobley, a loving and devoted mother, whose worst fear became horrific reality. What happened after was a testimonial in a mother's perseverance and superhuman bravery in seeking justice.

Not sure how well the film will fare during awards season. None of the supporting cast stands out. Direction was good. Cinematography was good. Costume design was good. Everything was good enough. Nothing really knocks the movie out the park, so HOW good will be critiqued by cinema's peers.

One thing I fully expect is a Best Actress nomination for Danielle Deadwyler. She takes the audience through a full-spectrum, emotional whirlwind no human being should ever endure.
Wow, my first thought just watching the trailer was, "This is getting awards!"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Till (2022)
J508Kw9.png

8.00 of 10.00

Emmitt Till's story was already known. This movie focused on the true story of Mamie Till-Mobley, a loving and devoted mother, whose worst fear became horrific reality. What happened after was a testimonial in a mother's perseverance and superhuman bravery in seeking justice.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Have read loads about the case. His mother was an amazingly strong woman.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Ghost Story" 1981

It's a good ghost story movie that really isn't all that scary (a little bit of a down-fall of the film).

But the movie has two strengths...

-Great atmosphere
-A strong... Make that an incredibly strong cast

It stars:

Fred Astaire
Melvin Douglas
Douglas Fairbanks Jr
John Houseman

It was the final feature film for all of them except Houseman.

Also starring Alice Krige who was absolutely fetching.

Also has Patricia Neal and Ken Olin.

Another movie I watched in the theater during its original release.

It's a good Halloween-time film to watch.

I'm good with IMDB's 6.3 for the film.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just finished watching Halloween Ends. Wow. I’m still amazed at how some stories are green lit. Seriously? THIS is the story you decided to tell? Even more amazing ANYBODY ELSE thought it was a good idea?

One thing is for sure, this entry will END things.

A 3 out of 10 is too generous for what this was. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Carnival of Souls" (1962)

Interesting movie.

I like it... Don't know if I would give it the 7.1 that it has earned on IMDB, but it's a decent movie.

Anyone that's watched it knows it was filmed on a really tight budget. It screams "low budget".

But that may play into its favor.

The story is good. And while it may seem the gal playing the lead was a bit over-the-top I think that fits in with the era and the type of film it is.

Speaking of the era it's funny watching this film, which screams "early 1960's" and then watch "The Exorcist", which screams early 1970's. A huge difference in just about everything.

The building that is predominately featured in this film was a Mormon-built amusement park in Utah. It was built in 1925 and closed down in 1958. That's why it definitely looks out of business in this 1962 movie, but it's not totally run-down yet or ransacked. The complex burned down in 1970 and was subsequently rebuilt years later with the newer structure resembling the original.

Anyway I give the film a 6.5/10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, it's November and Halloween is in the rear-view mirror, but with Tubi, Pluto and Amazon prime everyday can be a horror-day!

Watched a movie that I had not seen in decades.

And when I first watched it (probably on WNEW out of NYC or WOR out of NYC) in the early 70's it definitely scared me!

"The Manster" 1962.

This is well before Randy White came along.

Anyway this was a horror film entirely shot in Japan. And it was an American made film–not a dubbed or subtitled movie. And it does not feature a giant monster!

Watched a colorized version of it... Yeah it's hokey, but there are some legit creepy parts to it.

Overall it's not a bad film! The premise is way out in left-field, but it works!

I'm good with IMDB's 5.3/10.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
There was a bad B movie back in 1974 called "Horror High" which had some Dallas Cowboys players, Craig Morton, D.D. Lewis, Bill Truax, John Niland and Calvin Hill. I think there were some other players in it as well. It was a lousy movie. I actually paid money to go to the theater and watch it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072331/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Siege of Firebase Gloria" (1989)

An Austrailian film even though it featured American actors like R. Lee Ermey and Wings Hauser.

Watched the move soon after it was released on VHS back in the day. Loved it then and had been
looking for it on DVD, which I could not find.

Anyway it showed up on Tubi and I watched it last last night.

Basically it's about a Viet Cong attack on an American firebase during the Tet offensive in the Vietnam war.

Savage & bloody with a lot of bad language.

R. Lee could have been in "Hamlet" and I would have watched it.

If you like war movies you would like this.

7/10.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Siege of Firebase Gloria" (1989)

An Austrailian film even though it featured American actors like R. Lee Ermey and Wings Hauser.

Watched the move soon after it was released on VHS back in the day. Loved it then and had been
looking for it on DVD, which I could not find.

Anyway it showed up on Tubi and I watched it last last night.

Basically it's about a Viet Cong attack on an American firebase during the Tet offensive in the Vietnam war.

Savage & bloody with a lot of bad language.

R. Lee could have been in "Hamlet" and I would have watched it.

If you like war movies you would like this.

7/10.
There was also Australian made Vietnam War film that was really good. “Soldier Orange”

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Carrie (2013) Surprisingly good. I think I liked it better than the original, probably because Chloe Grace Moretz is so much more likeable than Sissy Spacek. The only problem I have is that she seemed a bit too powerful, too quick. I imagine anyone who's never heard of or seen the original would love this one. I give it a 7/10.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Till (2022)
J508Kw9.png

8.00 of 10.00

Emmett Till's story was already known. This movie focused on the true story of Mamie Till-Mobley, a loving and devoted mother, whose worst fear became horrific reality. What happened after was a testimonial in a mother's perseverance and superhuman bravery in seeking justice.

Any flick that makes me tear up gets an automatic 10. Did it’s job.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wakanda Forever (2022)
hzuXX9W.jpg

8.35 of 10.00

IMPERIUS REX!

The story is very good. Execution drags sporadically. That is not a slight against inclusion of Chadwick Boseman's recognition though. That was done really well throughout the movie in my opinion.

Just not as seamlessly constructed as the original. Individual performances were not as strong also, although Angela Bassett (as always) and newcomer Tenoch Huerta delivered. Much respect to Letitia Wright but I do not see her as a strong enough screen presence as the film's true centerpiece. I do think director Ryan Coogler did a great job complementing Wright by pairing her with co-stars in certain scenes

It felt to me as if Disney cut back on the production budget. CGI is excellent but nowhere as expansive in visual scope as seen in the original. Sets were noticeably smaller in scale and complexity this time around.

Stan Lee's Marvel Studios' tribute intro is still a sentimental favorite of mine but Boseman's is better.

LB85qN5.gif

There are not any ending credit scenes that have anything to do with future movies. In fact, there is only one scene during the credits roll. It will not matter to some but it choked me up a bit. Way to go, Coogler.

The wait is over! Ironheart is here! That is not a spoiler since she is clearly seen in the trailers. :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wakanda Forever (2022)
hzuXX9W.jpg

8.35 of 10.00

IMPERIUS REX!

The story is very good. Execution drags sporadically. That is not a slight against inclusion of Chadwick Boseman's recognition though. That was done really well throughout the movie in my opinion.

Just not as seamlessly constructed as the original. Individual performances were not as strong also, although Angela Bassett (as always) and newcomer Tenoch Huerta delivered. Much respect to Letitia Wright but I do not see her as a strong enough screen presence as the film's true centerpiece. I do think director Ryan Coogler did a great job complementing Wright by pairing her with co-stars in certain scenes

It felt to me as if Disney cut back on the production budget. CGI is excellent but nowhere as expansive in visual scope as seen in the original. Sets were noticeably smaller in scale and complexity this time around.

Stan Lee's Marvel Studios' tribute intro is still a sentimental favorite of mine but Boseman's is better.

LB85qN5.gif

There are not any ending credit scenes that have anything to do with future movies. In fact, there is only one scene during the credits roll. It will not matter to some but it choked me up a bit. Way to go, Coogler.

The wait is over! Ironheart is here! That is not a spoiler since she is clearly seen in the trailers. :)
Crazy, but i always look forward to your reviews of marvel movies. And your review didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the movie but I didn't buy ol girl as the new black panther. Tho she did well.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Wakanda Forever (2022)
hzuXX9W.jpg

8.35 of 10.00

IMPERIUS REX!

LB85qN5.gif

Do the normal human soldiers without powers win fights against foes who are stronger?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crazy, but i always look forward to your reviews of marvel movies. And your review didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the movie but I didn't buy ol girl as the new black panther. Tho she did well.

Yeah. That’s exactly what I was worried about. I think Okoye or M’Baku would have been better choices.

I don’t expect to see Black Panther 3 anytime soon.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. That’s exactly what I was worried about. I think Okoye or M’Baku would have been better choices.

I don’t expect to see Black Panther 3 anytime soon.
I don't know. M'baku role is perfect as is. I wouldn't want to see him elsewhere.

The biggest issue is Chadwick Boseman was soooo good. It's hard to see anyone else. He had a natural swag that just fit. Going forward, maybe she gets that.

The movie itself was really good. So go see it if you haven't already.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. M'baku role is perfect as is. I wouldn't want to see him elsewhere.

The biggest issue is Chadwick Boseman was soooo good. It's hard to see anyone else. He had a natural swag that just fit. Going forward, maybe she gets that.

The movie itself was really good. So go see it if you haven't already.

Oh yeah. I’m definitely going too. We’re waiting for the kids to get back from Florida so that we can all go together. It’s a family tradition with the Marvel films.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do the normal human soldiers without powers win fights against foes who are stronger?
The answer is yes in certain situations, with technology assistance being the determining factor. The same holds true for practically all films and series in the genre, even for those pre-dating both the MCU and DECU/DCU.

A scene from 1998's Blade is a good example:

The film's main antagonists are vampires, who have typical superior physical traits like strength, speed and degrees of invulnerability. The cut scene below shows the very human Dr. Karen Jenson (played by N'Bushe Wright) being easily overwhelmed by Vampire Racquel (Traci Lords). The human used technology to overcome her opponent's superhuman advantages.

WFd94O2.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The answer is yes in certain situations, with technology assistance being the determining factor. The same holds true for practically all films and series in the genre, even for those pre-dating both the MCU and DECU/DCU.

A scene from 1998's Blade is a good example:

The film's main antagonists are vampires, who have typical superior physical traits like strength, speed and degrees of invulnerability. The cut scene below shows the very human Dr. Karen Jenson (played by N'Bushe Wright) being easily overwhelmed by Vampire Racquel (Traci Lords). The human used technology to overcome her opponent's superhuman advantages.

WFd94O2.gif
I think that's the wrong character. She looks nothing like Tracy Lord's.