Rate the last movie you saw

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other thing about "The Mist" is it's incredible how screwed up the TV series was–To have have the ground-work in place set by the film (and King's novella) and change the "baddies" from beasts from another dimension to basically ghosts/poltergeists was stunning in its stupidity.
This must be the one I watched. I wasn't impressed and from your earlier review I was wondering what I was missing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Oh I get it...

Anyone that watched this movie without knowing the ending a head of time was just gob-smacked with what they just saw– I know I was.

He shoots the other folks in the vehicle... Gets out and hears the "monsters" and is beyond stunned when it's not some kind of man-eating mutant coming out of the fog, but a self-propelled howitzer.

And boy, the look he shares with Melissa McBride who's riding safely along with her kids as part of the military convey.

After all that occurred and credits started rolling I thought at the time, "Damn all those folks left in the store were probably saved–Even Mrs. Carmody, which probably irritated the heck out of her because the world was not ending."

I saw that recently. Prob noticed it same as you as one of the ‘new’ added movies on one of my streaming services. It looked cool enough to get a watch but it was one of those flicks I eventually just forwarded to the end to see what all the hubbub was about. Little bit of a Cloverfield feel to it. CGI in that movie is awful, very dated.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Christmas story Christmas - Of course nothing will be as good as the original for many of us after years of being one of the faves from the season. However I have to say this one was not bad. Again not as good but still good imo. I was surprised as I was expecting a huge let down like the wife and I had for Hocus Pocus 2. This was much better than that outing imo.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A Christmas story Christmas - Of course nothing will be as good as the original for many of us after years of being one of the faves from the season. However I have to say this one was not bad. Again not as good but still good imo. I was surprised as I was expecting a huge let down like the wife and I had for Hocus Pocus 2. This was much better than that outing imo.
Wait...You we're expecting Hocus Pocus 2 to be good?
:grin:

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Terrifier 2. 8/10
Probably the most hardcore slasher I've ever seen. There's some pretty disturbing scenes. They use some great practical effects. I'll be watching it again, which is rare for me these days (watching a movie more than once). I now need to go back and watch the first one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Exocist" (1973)

Where to start with this one...

I was too young to go see it when it was originally released, so it was a few years later before I watched it the first time.

But I can remember the impact it made when originally released.

There are only so many movies that caused virtually the entire country to talk about them–And this was one of them.

One of the things I like about the movie is that it's classic early 1970's. Like "The Blob" for the late 1950's or "Carnival of Souls" for the pre-1960's Beatles era, there are some movies that simply ooze their time-period and become nostalgic.

The movie is great on so many levels. And it has continued to influence culture.

The scene where Father Merrin arrives in the taxi and the fog is as thick as pea-soup is one of the all-time great scenes in movie history.

This movie was made during a time when "darker" movies became a norm... Started in the late 60's with "Easy Rider", "Rosemary's Baby", "Planet of the Apes" and "Bonnie & Clyde" and then rolled into the 70's with "Deliverance", the "Godfather" films and this one. Even kid's movies like "Willie Wonka" had some darkness to them. Vietnam and other factors seemed to turn folks onto movies that had mixed endings–meaning that not everything was sunshine and roses.

Anyway watched "The Exorcist" again last night and even today it's one heck of a movie.

IMDB gives it an 8.1 rating and I'm good with that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The scene where Father Merrin arrives in the taxi and the fog is as thick as pea-soup is one of the all-time great scenes in movie history.
:starspin::bow::starspin:

The Exorcist is one of the rare movies I have re-watched, eyes glued and never say a peep from beginning to end. The film is never pretentious in its presentation. In fact, it is a very laid back movie and mirrors actual peoples' lives minus any pomp or circumstance common within the horror genre.

Every Academy Award nomination was valid for the movie:
  • Best Actress/Ellen Burstyn
  • Best Supporting Actor/Jason Miller
  • Best Supporting Actress/Linda Blair (it is not her fault Tatum O'Neal's Paper Moon was released the same season)
  • Best Director/William Friedkin (in the same boat with Linda Blair having George Roy Hill and The Sting as competition)
  • Best Picture (ditto/The Sting :banghead:)
  • Best Art Direction
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Sound (WINNER!)
  • Best Screenplay (WINNER!)
The film is a classic in every sense of the word.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"The Exocist" (1973)

I was too young to go see it when it was originally released, so it was a few years later before I watched it the first time.

There are only so many movies that caused virtually the entire country to talk about them–And this was one of them.

One of the things I like about the movie is that it's classic early 1970's. Like "The Blob" for the late 1950's or "Carnival of Souls" for the pre-1960's Beatles era, there are some movies that simply ooze their time-period and become nostalgic.

The movie is great on so many levels. And it has continued to influence culture.

This movie was made during a time when "darker" movies became a norm... Started in the late 60's with "Easy Rider", "Rosemary's Baby", "Planet of the Apes" and "Bonnie & Clyde" and then rolled into the 70's with "Deliverance", the "Godfather" films and this one. Even kid's movies like "Willie Wonka" had some darkness to them. Vietnam and other factors seemed to turn folks onto movies that had mixed endings–meaning that not everything was sunshine and roses.

Anyway watched "The Exorcist" again last night and even today it's one heck of a movie.

Possibly the only horror movie I've ever recommended, unless you count Aliens as horror, which I do.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
"The Exocist" (1973)

I always had "The Exorcist" and "The Shining" as my top 1 and 2 horror movies, respectively, but after watching them both again, fairly recently, I switched my ranking with "The Shining" first and "The Exorcist" second.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always had "The Exorcist" and "The Shining" as my top 1 and 2 horror movies, respectively, but after watching them both again, fairly recently, I switched my ranking with "The Shining" first and "The Exorcist" second.

Like you "The Shining" is my #1.

After that the ranks ebb & flow...

"The Exorcist"
Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"
Carpenter's "The Thing"

They're all in my top-5 but they seem to rotate... lol

Funny that many still consider one or more of those to be at the top or darn near the top of their favorite horror films.

Horror films seem to have peaked during that time frame–1973 to 1985 or so.

Not that there haven't been some darned good ones since then that "pushed the envelope" like "Scream", "Blair Witch" and "Saw".

They just haven't topped the "masters" IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Alien" I count as horror, but "Aliens", I always thought more action with some horror thrown in.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Sort of a similar situation to "Jaws". I love "Jaws" one of my favorite films of all-time, but I wouldn't classify it as a horror film, even though there are some horror elements to it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Like you "The Shining" is my #1.

After that the ranks ebb & flow...

"The Exorcist"
Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"
Carpenter's "The Thing"

They're all in my top-5 but they seem to rotate... lol

Funny that many still consider one or more of those to be at the top or darn near the top of their favorite horror films.

Horror films seem to have peaked during that time frame–1973 to 1985 or so.

Not that there haven't been some darned good ones since then that "pushed the envelope" like "Scream", "Blair Witch" and "Saw".

They just haven't topped the "masters" IMO.
That's about the same for me except, for "The Thing", I put that in it's own category and watch it least once a year, it was so masterfully done. I saw it in the theater and loved it and still pick out little things about the who, when, what ends up happening. The practical effects still look great, the head spider is an all time favorite. The way the tension and paranoia build up..... even after all the times I've watched it, I still feel it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's about the same for me except, for "The Thing", I put that in it's own category and watch it least once a year, it was so masterfully done. I saw it in the theater and loved it and still pick out little things about the who, when, what ends up happening. The practical effects still look great, the head spider is an all time favorite. The way the tension and paranoia build up..... even after all the times I've watched it, I still feel it.

I feel fortunate that I was able to see "The Thing" when it was originally released... You know when many thought it was crap... lol

Like many great horror films, it has some ambiguity to it so that folks even today debate who was infected when and what happens after the filming stopped.

Creeper

Reaction score
Watched "Emily the Criminal" on Netflix last night. Its a 5.5 out of 10. It's okay. I have some issues with the main character played by Aubrey Plaza (White Lotus) but not insurmountable issues. She gives a good performance of a very flawed character.

This is a true spoiler so if you haven't seen the movie yet and intend to watch it at some point, stop reading. Aubrey Plaza plays the main character Emily, who winds up getting involved in something called "dummy shopping" where people work with organized crime to use fake credit cards to shop and buy expensive goods that are then sold for cash. The dummy shoppers get $200 or so to go buy a TV with a fake card provided by the criminals. Emily, gets more and more involved in the scam until she starts making her own fake credit cards and using them to buy stuff she sells on her own. She even buys a used BMW with a fake cashiers check and a fake credit card.

She is living on the edge and of course she runs into some trouble here and there including an incident where she gets robbed by someone that was supposed to buy a TV from her.

It is a little scary to watch as she gets deeper into crime and some violence enters into her life. One of the criminals she hooks up with gives her the rules about how to run her own "business" and of course she violates the rules because she is an undisciplined and frankly, a little crazy, person. My problem, and I admit it is one of personal preference, is she winds up in South America running her own little crime ring doing the same thing she learned to do in the US. Basically, she gets away with all the crimes she committed. I like movies where good triumphs over evil. The good guy captures or kills the bad guy. The crooks go to jail and the victims are vindicated. This movie doesn't have that.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I didn't see The Exorcist until my 20's circa 2000.

I never knew it was a comedy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three older movies that are a little under radar, all three can be found free on youtube at the time I posted this.

Timerider - The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982, Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi)

A maverick motorbike racer wanders into a top-secret time-travel research test site which unintentionally teleports him to the mid-1800s and ends up having to fight violent outlaws for his survival.
It is older and some campyness to it but I liked it back in the day and still enjoy it.

Zone Troopers 1944, Italy. After a group of US troops witness an alien landing, they are quickly caught up in an adventure involving everything from ***** to ray guns.
Cheesiest of the three movies. But I am a sucker for WWII movies lol

Sunshine In the year 2057, Earth's last hope lies with a spacecraft whose mission is to deliver a nuclear device designed to reignite our fading sun.
2007 movie...not bad for an under the radar movie.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Saw Black Phone. Definitely one of the better horror movies I’ve seen in recent years.

Sort of reminds me of a classic Stephen King short story vibe. Highly recommend as long as you’re okay with the themes.

After watching Ethan Hawke as the crazy cult leader in Moon Knight and now a screwed up serial killer, tough to remember he was the same good guy in Gattaca and Training Day.

I think I caught it on Peacock. Peacock gets some good movies every now and then that the other streamers don’t carry

dsturgeon

Reaction score
iu

lost city

A very bad version of "Romancing the Stone" without a stone, and without pepe the little mule

Last edited:

sulu1701

Reaction score
Saw Black Adam, lots of action, but wondered where were they going with it, and then at the end, Superman teases an appearance, only to have Henry Cavill get the ax, talk about *** ?