Rate the last movie you saw

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I wasn't a big fan of the first. I didn't hate it, I merely thought it was okay. And that's my edited down version that got rid of some of the ridiculously over the top messaging.

This *may* be a step up visually, but definitely a step down with the story.

I did not like the look of the movie for probably 2/3 of the way through. While there was some impressive aspects to the technology, it felt like I was watching a very long PS5 cut scene most of the time. Maybe PS6? It did not feel natural. The third act started to feel better, especially in darker scenes.

The story is kind of a convoluted mess that is poorly edited and way too long. This movie shouldn't have been more than 2 hours and 20 minutes, if that. There are plot threads that are focused on for a bit, and then just go away for an hour or more. There are moments of awkward cuts where it just jumps from one thing to another or jumps ahead, sometimes so abruptly that it didn't feel like the previous scene had finished.

Then you have the stuff with Grace's avatar having a baby, the human boy who, despite lacking all the physical traits of the Na'vi, still manages to perform the same physical feats. Don't get me started on his daddy.

Does anyone know where all the other Na'vi went in the climax's battle? They were all there following Jake as the fight started, then suddenly they were gone. Not even at a distance, but gone gone. Only Jake's family stayed back, even though there was still fighting going on, including the daughter of the other tribe's chief.

In a somewhat funny moment, the youngest daughter even makes a joke that points out how in this one movie the characters keep ending up in the same situation repeatedly.

Oh, and the end almost turned into Titanic.

All that said, I didn't hate it. Cameron is very capable at directing, especially action, and the production values are always very high.

My girlfriend thought it was better than the first. Silly girl.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I wasn't a big fan of the first. I didn't hate it, I merely thought it was okay. And that's my edited down version that got rid of some of the ridiculously over the top messaging.

I did not like the look of the movie for probably 2/3 of the way through. While there was some impressive aspects to the technology, it felt like I was watching a very long PS5 cut scene most of the time. Maybe PS6? It did not feel natural. The third act started to feel better, especially in darker scenes.

The story is kind of a convoluted mess that is poorly edited and way too long. This movie shouldn't have been more than 2 hours and 20 minutes, if that. There are plot threads that are focused on for a bit, and then just go away for an hour or more. There are moments of awkward cuts where it just jumps from one thing to another or jumps ahead, sometimes so abruptly that it didn't feel like the previous scene had finished.

Then you have the stuff with Grace's avatar having a baby, the human boy who, despite lacking all the physical traits of the Na'vi, still manages to perform the same physical feats. Don't get me started on his daddy.

Does anyone know where all the other Na'vi went in the climax's battle? They were all there following Jake as the fight started, then suddenly they were gone. Not even at a distance, but gone gone. Only Jake's family stayed back, even though there was still fighting going on, including the daughter of the other tribe's chief.

In a somewhat funny moment, the youngest daughter even makes a joke that points out how in this one movie the characters keep ending up in the same situation repeatedly.

All that said, I didn't hate it. Cameron is very capable at directing, especially action, and the production values are always very high.

Did you watch it in 3D? If not, maybe that's why it looked odd? I haven't seen it, I'm just wondering if that might be a reason to watch it in one aspect or the other.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Did you watch it in 3D? If not, maybe that's why it looked odd? I haven't seen it, I'm just wondering if that might be a reason to watch it in one aspect or the other.
I did. I didn't expect it to be. Thought it was a 2D showing. Nothing indicated it was 3D when I bought the ticket. I always go to a Dolby Cinema screen which is rarely 3D. But, when I got there, they handed out glasses.

It's more the high frame rate that was the issue. It's Especially noticeable with the non-cg aspects (humans).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MV5BYzZkOGUwMzMtMTgyNS00YjFlLTg5NzYtZTE3Y2E5YTA5NWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkwOTAyMDU@._V1_.jpg

Ugh. Where to begin? Suffice it to say that films like this show exactly why DC can’t compete with Marvel. It’s like this was written by a 12-year old comics fan.

Things are thrown out there because they might ‘look cool’, not because they make any sense. Things ‘just happen’ and viewers are expected not to notice. Sorry, we did.

I feel bad for Dwayne Johnson because I know how long he’s wanted to get into the superhero world, and how long he’s worked on this. But he should have tried harder to work with Marvel because this thing is a big miss.

5/10 because it’s Christmas time and I’m feeling in a giving mood.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
MV5BYzZkOGUwMzMtMTgyNS00YjFlLTg5NzYtZTE3Y2E5YTA5NWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkwOTAyMDU@._V1_.jpg

Ugh. Where to begin? Suffice it to say that films like this show exactly why DC can’t compete with Marvel. It’s like this was written by a 12-year old comics fan.

Things are thrown out there because they might ‘look cool’, not because they make any sense. Things ‘just happen’ and viewers are expected not to notice. Sorry, we did.

I feel bad for Dwayne Johnson because I know how long he’s wanted to get into the superhero world, and how long he’s worked on this. But he should have tried harder to work with Marvel because this thing is a big miss.

I wouldn't hold marvel up as not having things "just happen", because I think they do that a bunch. I have not seen the dc movie, maybe it is worse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glass Onion - 7.5/10

I enjoyed this entertaining sequel to Knives Out. It’s not perfect, but filled with humor, a unique mystery, and two really good performances in Daniel Craig and Janell Monáe.
Craig is a riot with that Southern accent and I saw an interview and he stayed in character throughout the filming so some of those people don't know what he really sounds like.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glass Onion - 7.5/10

I enjoyed this entertaining sequel to Knives Out. It’s not perfect, but filled with humor, a unique mystery, and two really good performances in Daniel Craig and Janell Monáe.

Really enjoyed this one as well. Seen some saying they were let down but not sure why. It is just a fun who done it movie.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Gray Man - Nothing new here. However if you like shoot em ups and standard cia good and bad guys going after each other you will like this one Ryan Goslin plays the good guy, Chris evans the bad guy and others include Billy Bob Thornton Good time waster of an action flick but again not anything new,

kskboys

Reaction score

Is it watchable?

kskboys

Reaction score

I was very disappointed. Way too much story and and not enough critters and action. And I agree, plot was just weak.

kskboys

Reaction score
"The Minute You Wake Up Dead"

Loved it. Don't get me wrong, wasn't a great movie or anything, but I found it highly entertaining. Just a fun little movie about people who are just rotten to the core.

Oh, and it was much fun seeing Rip from Yellowstone in a different role.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Gray Man - Nothing new here. However if you like shoot em ups and standard cia good and bad guys going after each other you will like this one Ryan Goslin plays the good guy, Chris evans the bad guy and others include Billy Bob Thornton Good time waster of an action flick but again not anything new,
It could've been pretty good, but it wasn't.