Rate the last movie you saw

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Got into a Robocop kick and revisited them all this weekend. They're all on HBO Max.

Robocop - Love this movie. It's a classic. That perfect blend of 80s action and cheese. Funny looking back at the stop motion of that era and seeing how cheesy it looks compared to today. I think that is part of what makes it great though.
Robocop 2 - I enjoyed this one as well. I think it's a worthy sequel. A little campy and less heavy on the blurred lines of reality between Alex Murphy/Robocop, but still good action. I thought they did great with the special effects for it's time.
Robocop 3 - Wow. That one was stupid. I honestly don't think I ever watched it back in the day, and well, I see I didn't miss out.

Robocop (2014) - When this movie released, I didn't like it that much. I enjoyed it a lot better watching it my second time through.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Watched Spaceman yesterday afternoon.

What a piece of crap movie. It was really confusing, from start to finish, yet extremely boring. How do you reconcile those two things? Maybe it would have been less confusing if I hadn't fallen asleep three times while watching it (in the middle of the afternoon), but maybe it would have been even more confusing.

Whatever the case, it's like your typical Adam Sandler movie, if after it was over, they took out the dumb jokes.

3/10
Couldn't be worse than The Longest Yard remake. :laugh:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Got into a Robocop kick and revisited them all this weekend. They're all on HBO Max.

Robocop - Love this movie. It's a classic. That perfect blend of 80s action and cheese. Funny looking back at the stop motion of that era and seeing how cheesy it looks compared to today. I think that is part of what makes it great though.
Robocop 2 - I enjoyed this one as well. I think it's a worthy sequel. A little campy and less heavy on the blurred lines of reality between Alex Murphy/Robocop, but still good action. I thought they did great with the special effects for it's time.
Robocop 3 - Wow. That one was stupid. I honestly don't think I ever watched it back in the day, and well, I see I didn't miss out.

Robocop (2014) - When this movie released, I didn't like it that much. I enjoyed it a lot better watching it my second time through.
First Robocop was so good that it allowed me to tolerate all the other releases, and grudgingly sit through them. I still remember watching Robocop 2 at the theater release and even as a teenager realizing this was nowhere near as good. LOL

Perfect casting. Great cheesy action lines. Great music. I always enjoyed Paul Verhoeven’s sci-fi action flicks including Starship Troopers which I guess was considered a dud but I still watch it to this day.

Creeper

Reaction score
I finally watched Oppenheimer. I have to admit, it was a pretty good movie with a very good cast, and not just the actors. Working all the top scientists of that period into the story was fascinating. Imagine Einstein, Teller, Bohr, Tolman, Fermi, Heisenberg, Oppenheimer and Lawrence all in the same room shooting the breeze.

We look back at the period now and consider the attacks on communists and communism as some silly attempt to find a boogeyman under the bed, but in reality Soviet sympathizers were embedded in our government and universities and in the governments and universities of our allies like Britain. In fact, these Soviet sympathizers actually did pass top secrets about American and British nuclear programs, as well as other intelligence, to the Soviet Union. It actually was a major problem. Sure we were allies with the Soviet Union, but neither side trusted the other at any time during the war. The question of whether Oppenheimer was a communist is debatable, but no one accused him of passing secrets about the US nuclear program to the Russians.

sulu1701

Reaction score
The Revenant

I don't get what the fuss was all about. Sure, if you want gory scenes, it's okay. But for me, the story was slow and uncomfortable.

DiCaprio did a good job (and I'm not a fan of his), as did everyone else, but it just wasn't a particularly captivating movie, for me.

6/10
The movie is very similar to a movie I saw in the 70's called Man in The Wilderness, same storyline almost exactly

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The New Roadhouse movie on Amazon Prime.

Jake Gyllenhall SP? and Conor McGregor

Jake plays Dalton
Conor plays the bad guy hired by the rich bad guy.

Terrible remake.
They change it up and there is no role for the character that Sam Elliot played in the original.

Dumb story changes from the original.

I thought Conor would be a natural on screen but they made his character so over the top that it was stupid. Half the movie he has one facial expression of a stupid smile and crazy eyes.

The original movie is a classic. And if you go back and watch it now it is really cheesy and not quite as good as you remember it. But it still blows away this new one.

IF you want to watch it. Go for it. But wow...what a stinker of a remake movie.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Older Movie that I have not seen in some time.
You can find it on multiple online apps like Prime, Tubi and a few others.

The Name of the Rose

This is a pretty good movie if you have never seen it.
Sean Connery and a young Christian Slater.
Ron Perlman plays a good role as well.

Per IMDB

14th century Franciscan monk William of Baskerville and his young novice arrive at a conference to find that several monks have been murdered under mysterious circumstances. To solve the crimes, William must rise up against the Church's authority and fight the shadowy conspiracy of monastery monks using only his intelligence which is considerable

====

I enjoy this movie. Parts of it is a little slow but it is still a good movie.
Some awkward things in the movie that make it interesting.

If you have never seen this one, give it a shot.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The New Roadhouse movie on Amazon Prime.

Jake Gyllenhall SP? and Conor McGregor

Jake plays Dalton
Conor plays the bad guy hired by the rich bad guy.

Terrible remake.
They change it up and there is no role for the character that Sam Elliot played in the original.

Dumb story changes from the original.

I thought Conor would be a natural on screen but they made his character so over the top that it was stupid. Half the movie he has one facial expression of a stupid smile and crazy eyes.

The original movie is a classic. And if you go back and watch it now it is really cheesy and not quite as good as you remember it. But it still blows away this new one.

IF you want to watch it. Go for it. But wow...what a stinker of a remake movie.
That's about what I expected. I saw a short clip yesterday of Gyllenhaal taking on, like, 5 guys, and a chuckle popped out before I even realized it was ridiculous.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The Name of the Rose

Per IMDB

14th century Franciscan monk William of Baskerville and his young novice arrive at a conference to find that several monks have been murdered under mysterious circumstances. To solve the crimes, William must rise up against the Church's authority and fight the shadowy conspiracy of monastery monks using only his intelligence which is considerable

====

That was a fantastic movie! Connery was his usual great self, and Slater was good too. It's probably the best acting Ron Perlman's ever done, IMO.

The story was very original and believable, with the possible exception of the labyrinth.

visionary

Reaction score

The Name of the Rose

Per IMDB

====

I saw it over 10 years back
Very good movie

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Road House 5/10

Jake Gyllenhaal was fine. The plot started off OK and went downhill from there. The way they filmed the fight scenes was horrible. At some point, they just gave up and made it a comedy, which was good, but too little too late.

Conor McGregor was as bad as the trailer makes him look, but he had one great line. After crashing a car into a house to kill Dalton, Dalton tells him he’s a terrible driver. His line: “You guys drive on the wrong side of the road”

This movie isn’t good because it tried to do too many things at once.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Paint on Hulu.

Owen Wilson plays a Bob Ross type character. I wouldn't say I recommend it, but it had a few decent laughs in it.

5/10

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New movie on Prime

Ricky Stanicky

Standard buddy comedy. Has some decent laughs here and there. Not for young eyes and ears.

John Cena plays the title character.

Per IMDB

When three childhood best friends pull a prank that goes wrong, they invent the imaginary Ricky Stanicky to get them out of trouble. Twenty years later, they still use the nonexistent Ricky as a handy alibi for their immature behavior.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Paint on Hulu.

Owen Wilson plays a Bob Ross type character. I wouldn't say I recommend it, but it had a few decent laughs in it.

5/10
Something tells me that playing Bob Ross is not much of a theatrical "stretch" for Wilson.

Wilson cracks me up. He has made a great living in Hollywood basically playing the same character over and over again.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Per IMDB

When three childhood best friends pull a prank that goes wrong, they invent the imaginary Ricky Stanicky to get them out of trouble. Twenty years later, they still use the nonexistent Ricky as a handy alibi for their immature behavior.

That plot is funny.

Back in the day my buddies and i did something similar. There was a high school kid that we disliked and for a few years after school whenever one of us were asked our names for some discretion or another (girls, cops etc..) we would always give this guys name.

Silly now but kind of hilarious then.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Equalizer 1, 2, 3.

Went on an Equalizer marathon this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed all three movies. I absolutely love one-man army movies though, so I'm probably biased in my review, but I loved all three. Denzel was fantastic in the role.

My only complaint was Dakota Fanning in the third movie. I don't have an issue with her overall, but whatever it was, she was not good in this movie. I remember her being a good actress in other roles, but she just does not have the chops to play a good CIA agent. Every time her character had a scene, it completely took me out of the immersion of the movie.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Equalizer 1, 2, 3.

Went on an Equalizer marathon this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed all three movies. I absolutely love one-man army movies though, so I'm probably biased in my review, but I loved all three. Denzel was fantastic in the role.

My only complaint was Dakota Fanning in the third movie. I don't have an issue with her overall, but whatever it was, she was not good in this movie. I remember her being a good actress in other roles, but she just does not have the chops to play a good CIA agent. Every time her character had a scene, it completely took me out of the immersion of the movie.
I loved the Denzel and Dakota partnership in "Man on Fire"... one of my favorite Denzel Washington movies.