Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I keep remembering Derrick Henry turning him into his lead blocker.

AgonizingFaithfulIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

LLLOOLLL

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot here I disagree with:

First, he isnt coming here cheap, and if he does, and plays well...that'll end up as another problem.

Secondly, I don't see the need to rush to add this guy just yet given the circumstances.

As badly as I want to upgrade that spot, it almost makes sense to wait until final cuts to see if anyone better doesnt end up loose...maybe due to cap concerns for next year.

On the bad news side, Thomas is an upgrade over ANY safety we have in camp right now, even though he is clearly on the downside of his career.

1. If he's not coming here "cheap", he's not coming here.
  2. What "circumstances"? The season begins in less than a month.
  3. What better options would there be? Much less another one "loose on final cuts"?
  4. This I agree with.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, could see him reuniting with Sherman. They do have Just under 13mil of cap space too.

And they've been very actively signing veteran free agents lately to bolster their current team.

I consider them the favorite, not us.

MikeB80

Reaction score
you ran through that entire list like they were all downgrades. Witten should’ve stayed retired absolutely moronic not to get the younger long term player more time. Frederick wasn’t the same, Quinn was terrible against the run. Heath? lol

I see a MUCH better football coach who might actually take special teams serious, maybe be able to actually manage a game clock? That would be cool to see? Someone adept at Xs and Os? Plus depth along the D line, the LVH move to the middle. Good young corners. Probably the top WR in the draft paired up with 2 pretty dam good ones already and topped off with the fact that the previous crap coach is finally gone. after 13 years too long.

you already have the QB saying they didn’t play smart, players around the league calling out the simplicity on both sides of the ball.. for years, FAs saying they came here because of the coach. But somehow you need to see more? This team got better the minute they dropped Garrett. Team being the key word while you just give your rundown on individuals and individual statistics that never amounted to anything!

I pointed out the changes. Yes I need to see more. If Dak's comment was an indictment on garrett then A. it should be an indictment of kellen moore also because he called the plays and B. I can find a million comments from Dak and others about how much they loved garrett.

Essentially you are just acting like Garrett was responsible for every bad thing for 10 years. I am no big fan of Garrett but that is wrong. McCarthy seems to be a very good coach and usually teams with new coaches get a bump in excitement and enthusiasm which leads to a few more wins, good chance that happens here too.

I am sorry you can not convince me of any difference in defense as of right now and I hated the marinelli scheme. I thought it was wrong to move out of the 3-4 and felt like they did it because Jerry was talked into it by his old pals.

saying frederick wasn't the same is obvious now a year later but last year at this time it was "we will have the best line in the league again because frederick is returning" just an assumption same as right now...."looney was good in 18 and they made the playoffs so he should be good again" that is just an assumption and the left guard spot is a question mark until we see williams is fully healthy and has all his ability or mcgovern plays and shows he is good at the nfl level.

Special teams were always taken seriously we have had a couple of the best special teams coaches in the league in Rich Bisaccia and Joe Decamillis. We had an outstanding kicker and punter for years, for a few years we had an outstanding return man in Dwayne Harris...Since whitehead flunked off the team they have not replaced him and the return game has been non existent. Chris Jones was hurt last year and hopefully will rebound...but like everything else that is just an assumption.

the 2019 season is on the Jones Family. They kept Garrett as a lame duck and the staff suffered for it. Its not a smart thing to do and most organizations/head coaches will not accept a lame duck situation.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Earl rumors are back baby!

ShortWanCrownofthornsstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Not even sure how I feel about it, as the guy seems to be going full Antonio Brown. But the black hole that has been safety is enough to sign him IMHO.

DezNuts

Reaction score
This guys sounds like a nut case. He was a cancer in Baltimore and all the players wanted him gone. I'd be very hesitant to pick him up even if the deal is team friendly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think we won the lottery in this year Charles Haley types deals. We LANDED Aldon Smith...a guy who can wreck an offense. PLUS another cat with the same skillset that can also stop the run. So essentially, we are stacked. Not sure we need ET honestly. Our front 7 is really good.
Earl would be a welcome addition to a secondary that has been sorely missing a dominant safety for so long that some cant remember how to spell Darren Woodson correctly.
Why would we pass on a chance to improve this defense if we can afford to?
Haley crashed the locker room with his helmet ,, I covet "crazy" to some extent when its
defensive players.
A bit crazy ET would be a welcome addition to this defense,, time to get nasty.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I pointed out the changes. Yes I need to see more. If Dak's comment was an indictment on garrett then A. it should be an indictment of kellen moore also because he called the plays and B. I can find a million comments from Dak and others about how much they loved garrett.

Essentially you are just acting like Garrett was responsible for every bad thing for 10 years. I am no big fan of Garrett but that is wrong. McCarthy seems to be a very good coach and usually teams with new coaches get a bump in excitement and enthusiasm which leads to a few more wins, good chance that happens here too.

I am sorry you can not convince me of any difference in defense as of right now and I hated the marinelli scheme. I thought it was wrong to move out of the 3-4 and felt like they did it because Jerry was talked into it by his old pals.

saying frederick wasn't the same is obvious now a year later but last year at this time it was "we will have the best line in the league again because frederick is returning" just an assumption same as right now...."looney was good in 18 and they made the playoffs so he should be good again" that is just an assumption and the left guard spot is a question mark until we see williams is fully healthy and has all his ability or mcgovern plays and shows he is good at the nfl level.

Special teams were always taken seriously we have had a couple of the best special teams coaches in the league in Rich Bisaccia and Joe Decamillis. We had an outstanding kicker and punter for years, for a few years we had an outstanding return man in Dwayne Harris...Since whitehead flunked off the team they have not replaced him and the return game has been non existent. Chris Jones was hurt last year and hopefully will rebound...but like everything else that is just an assumption.

the 2019 season is on the Jones Family. They kept Garrett as a lame duck and the staff suffered for it. Its not a smart thing to do and most organizations/head coaches will not accept a lame duck situation.
You've made a couple of decent points, but you're missing the point though.

The Joneses aren't responsible for game planning, play calling, and in-game management. I say it all the time. Hiring McCarthy instantly makes this team better because the philosophy, tendencies, and impulses (or lack thereof) change. The stench of Jason Garrett is gone. Jason Garrett did not have the football IQ to tailor a game plan to an opponent. The plan every week on offense was to run the football, and the plan every week on defense was to play single high safety and keep plays in front of us and to "not give up the big plays." How many tenured Head Coaches (I think last season Garrett was the 4th or 5th most tenured HC in the league at one team) completely blunder with in-game situations like Garrett did with clock, timeouts, challenges, and adjusting to in-game conditions a weekly basis? None of them. EVERY game last season where we trailed at halftime, we lost. We've one once in two seasons. Garrett couldn't adjust his game plan because he's simply not good enough. The only thing working in his favor is that he shared a division with moribund franchises like NYG and WAS to at least put some wins in the win column. Last season was so bad, that even Jerry knew he could not sell a contract extension to this fan base. Dak making comments about us not playing smart football, Sam Darnold looking like an All Pro one week to "seeing ghosts" the next, and almost the entirety of his staff taking demotions across the league tells you all you need to know.

McCarthy has told this team and everyone who's been listening that he's trying to win championships. He's all in. Garrett just wanted to have a team that we can all be proud of.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Earl would be a welcome addition to a secondary that has been sorely missing a dominant safety for so long that some cant remember how to spell Darren Woodson correctly.
Why would we pass on a chance to improve this defense if we can afford to?
I hear ya but man, Earl has been really all over the map with bad choices. Real sketchy off the field and now it seems it spilled over into FB practice. Not sure we need the young bucks picking up his bad habits away from the field. Something has been amiss with him over the last 3 years now. He has progressively stacked up bad decisions and its alarming. No one is perfect, and I dont want choir boys on my team...but at the same time, we need a guy who's head is in the game and not elsewhere. Are we even sure he won't be suspended by the league? That is a whole other question. I think we better be extra diligent as a club, before jumping all in on this.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

3. What better options would there be? Much less another one "loose on final cuts"?
  4. This I agree with.
The advantage and the media association with Dallas being tops on ETs list is true because of his early statements about wanting to play here, as you already know.
Everything on your list is true.
The question is will ET give the team he desires most to play for a hometown discount.. if that happens its a done deal.
Sometimes Stars in this league want to finish their careers as Stars,, MM is quietly and quickly creating that environment again in Big D.

fivetwos

Reaction score

4. This I agree with.
The circumstances that he physically assaulted a teammate. Released by one of the model organizations in the league for that in particular. This is far from a cap casualty who still has years of good football left.

He definitely isn't coming here for cheap. He doesnt think he is there yet, and he has proven that his desire to come "home" is a distant second to money, although the contract Baltimore gave him was ridiculous.

Agreed that it's unlikely to get a starter that's a cap victim in two weeks, but my point was this isnt a no brainer by any means, despite safety being the clear cut weakness on the team.

I would wait it out and see. That the only was he comes cheap anyway...if no one else wants any part of him. That wont be determined right away.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The advantage and the media association with Dallas being tops on ETs list is true because of his early statements about wanting to play here, as you already know.

And Thomas hit free agency. If he truly wanted to sign with Dallas, he had every opportunity. Instead, he went for as much money as he could find, even backing out of a verbal commitment to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. He's always been all about the money.

Everything on your list is true.
The question is will ET give the team he desires most to play for a hometown discount.. if that happens its a done deal.
Sometimes Stars in this league want to finish their careers as Stars,, MM is quietly and quickly creating that environment again in Big D.

Color me surprised if Thomas does that. It's out of character for him, especially his recent character.

Having said that, he has pocketed a ton of money already, especially from Baltimore, where he's set to make over $20 million for one season of work there. Maybe he gives that next team the 'discount'? But I'm not counting on it.

I'll legit be surprised if he ends up with the Cowboys.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I hear ya but man, Earl has been really all over the map with bad choices. Real sketchy off the field and now it seems it spilled over into FB practice. Not sure we need the young bucks picking up his bad habits away from the field. Something has been amiss with him over the last 3 years now. He has progressively stacked up bad decisions and its alarming. No one is perfect, and I dont want choir boys on my team...but at the same time, we need a guy who's head is in the game and not elsewhere. Are we even sure he won't be suspended by the league? That is a whole other question. I think we better be extra diligent as a club, before jumping all in on this.
Unless Im unaware of on off the field incident that could initiate a suspension, than Im not overly concerned about what takes place during a practice.
Its fairly common during camp that players throw punches occasionally, if I missed something in the report, than I apologize for my ignorance, but from what I heard it seemed fairly aggressive on his part, but no more than other incidents that take place every camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The circumstances that he physically assaulted a teammate. Released by one of the model organizations in the league for that in particular. This is far from a cap casualty who still has years of good football left.

No, but that doesn't mean the rest of the league is waiting for the Cowboys to do something. Everybody's seasons start in less than a month.

He definitely isn't coming here for cheap. He doesnt think he is there yet, and he has proven that his desire to come "home" is a distant second to money, although the contract Baltimore gave him was ridiculous.

Yep. and I don;t want to see the Cowboys making any similar mistakes.

Agreed that it's unlikely to get a starter that's a cap victim in two weeks, but my point was this isnt a no brainer by any means, despite safety being the clear cut weakness on the team.

I'm not saying to jump in recklessly for sure. But there isn't going to be a better option shaking loose either.

I would wait it out and see. That the only was he comes cheap anyway...if no one else wants any part of him. That wont be determined right away.

I don't think that's any sort of guarantee. As I keep saying, training camps have begun and the season starts soon. Nobody has much time to "wait and see' at this time of year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Unless Im unaware of on off the field incident that could initiate a suspension, than Im not overly concerned about what takes place during a practice.
Its fairly common during camp that players throw punches occasionally, if I missed something in the report, than I apologize for my ignorance, but from what I heard it seemed fairly aggressive on his part, but no more than other incidents that take place every camp.
the details will begin to surface about what happened at FB practice. I think its been brewing for a while and I dont think this was the only thing that happened that got him released. I will be curious as to what actually happened that led to this. It had to be pretty darn bad.It causes me to pause if I am thinking about signing him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And Thomas hit free agency. If he truly wanted to sign with Dallas, he had every opportunity. Instead, he went for as much money as he could find, even backing out of a verbal commitment to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. He's always been all about the money.

Color me surprised if Thomas does that. It's out of character for him, especially his recent character.

Having said that, he has pocketed a ton of money already, especially from Baltimore, where he's set to make over $20 million for one season of work there. Maybe he gives that next team the 'discount'? But I'm not counting on it.

I'll legit be surprised if he ends up with the Cowboys.
I thought the Ravens were taking a 10 million hit with the cut, but doesnt matter,,, Ravens are still getting stuck with part of the tab, regardless where he signs.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You've made a couple of decent points, but you're missing the point though.

The Joneses aren't responsible for game planning, play calling, and in-game management. I say it all the time. Hiring McCarthy instantly makes this team better because the philosophy, tendencies, and impulses (or lack thereof) change. The stench of Jason Garrett is gone. Jason Garrett did not have the football IQ to tailor a game plan to an opponent. The plan every week on offense was to run the football, and the plan every week on defense was to play single high safety and keep plays in front of us and to "not give up the big plays." How many tenured Head Coaches (I think last season Garrett was the 4th or 5th most tenured HC in the league at one team) completely blunder with in-game situations like Garrett did with clock, timeouts, challenges, and adjusting to in-game conditions a weekly basis? None of them. EVERY game last season where we trailed at halftime, we lost. We've one once in two seasons. Garrett couldn't adjust his game plan because he's simply not good enough. The only thing working in his favor is that he shared a division with moribund franchises like NYG and WAS to at least put some wins in the win column. Last season was so bad, that even Jerry knew he could not sell a contract extension to this fan base. Dak making comments about us not playing smart football, Sam Darnold looking like an All Pro one week to "seeing ghosts" the next, and almost the entirety of his staff taking demotions across the league tells you all you need to know.

McCarthy has told this team and everyone who's been listening that he's trying to win championships. He's all in. Garrett just wanted to have a team that we can all be proud of.

I think you are missing the point, which was the Jones Family screwed up by allowing Garrett back in 19 as a lame duck. Its near impossible to put a staff together in that situation. Then they made him fire Scott Linehan and put a rookie coordinator in as the play caller. it was a recipe for disaster.

I am no fan of Garrett or Marinelli. I personally think they are both good coaches but had been here long enough. Garrett could have been fired along with wade at the end of 08....or at the end of 2013. He absolutely should not have been the head coach in 2019 and it was obvious walking off the field after the loss to the rams.

having said all that you are off on tangents about things that are nonsense. When garrett ran the offense from 07-12 they had some of the best offenses in franchise history. Like him or not, credit him or not those offenses in 07, 09, 11 were excellent. the 08 team was hurt with romo missing three games and the 12 team had the worst rushing season ever because murray missed half the season and felix was nothing like his former self. It was a poor offensive line and a terrible running game without murray.

The idea that I question all the praise for this franchise meaning I am running the garrett fan club is ridiculous. Yes the team should be better with McCarthy here this year.....will the defense? Will the offensive line? They didn't handle change to well two years ago. We will see and that is all I am saying. I have said repeatedly now that all these glowing reports and tidbits are coming from the same reporters and players who said identical things last year at this time.

jerry in an interview with Bill Jones last year said the team was its most talented since 95 and that the coaching situation was so unique that it was going to be a huge help to the season. He specifically cited Garrett Richard and Moore. Now the story is they are uber talented again and the coaching will be a big help.

Its just a big sell and we won't know anything until mid october or so.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If I am Dallas, I wait it out and see what details emerge before I entertain signing him. I would hate to sign him only to find out the guy is completely bonkers and about to be suspended for something we were unaware of. We can be patient a while longer. Lets wait and see.

Sydla

Reaction score
CBS article on what happened. Makes Thomas seem like a guy just cashing a check and not giving a crap about anything - late for meetings, showing up for practice and just loafing, doing whatever he wanted during games. Sources say the player leadership council told management last week it might be time to send him to the curb. I guess you could make the argument that getting cut might knock some sense back into him but something tells me this guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...with-star-safety-and-the-road-to-his-release/