Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the Ravens were taking a 10 million hit with the cut, but doesnt matter,,, Ravens are still getting stuck with part of the tab, regardless where he signs.

Specifically, there's going to be a fight over $10 million that he was supposed to be 'guaranteed in salary' for the 2020 season. But he's already pocketed a boatload of money from the Ravens for that one year.

I'm betting that both sides agree to let that remaining $10 million go if he's allowed to keep everything they've already paid him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
CBS article on what happened. Makes Thomas seem like a guy just cashing a check and not giving a crap about anything - late for meetings, showing up for practice and just loafing, doing whatever he wanted during games. I guess you could make the argument that getting cut might knock some sense back into him but something tells me this guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...with-star-safety-and-the-road-to-his-release/
if some of those things are true, I pass. MM and the staff just have no time for guys like that.Its a bad fit..IF TRUE.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And Thomas hit free agency. If he truly wanted to sign with Dallas, he had every opportunity. Instead, he went for as much money as he could find, even backing out of a verbal commitment to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. He's always been all about the money.

Color me surprised if Thomas does that. It's out of character for him, especially his recent character.

Having said that, he has pocketed a ton of money already, especially from Baltimore, where he's set to make over $20 million for one season of work there. Maybe he gives that next team the 'discount'? But I'm not counting on it.

I'll legit be surprised if he ends up with the Cowboys.
Think we all agree that we are a better team with him, but it's either a team friendly deal or not at all.

Knowing him and his history, he is going to expect to pocket every bit of the difference of the contract he just lost.

I personally doubt he signs anywhere right away for that reason. ANY team is going to want a team friendly deal and he expects to get paid.

kskboys

Reaction score
I pointed out the changes. Yes I need to see more. If Dak's comment was an indictment on garrett then A. it should be an indictment of kellen moore also because he called the plays and B. I can find a million comments from Dak and others about how much they loved garrett.

Essentially you are just acting like Garrett was responsible for every bad thing for 10 years. I am no big fan of Garrett but that is wrong. McCarthy seems to be a very good coach and usually teams with new coaches get a bump in excitement and enthusiasm which leads to a few more wins, good chance that happens here too.

I am sorry you can not convince me of any difference in defense as of right now and I hated the marinelli scheme. I thought it was wrong to move out of the 3-4 and felt like they did it because Jerry was talked into it by his old pals.

saying frederick wasn't the same is obvious now a year later but last year at this time it was "we will have the best line in the league again because frederick is returning" just an assumption same as right now...."looney was good in 18 and they made the playoffs so he should be good again" that is just an assumption and the left guard spot is a question mark until we see williams is fully healthy and has all his ability or mcgovern plays and shows he is good at the nfl level.

Special teams were always taken seriously we have had a couple of the best special teams coaches in the league in Rich Bisaccia and Joe Decamillis. We had an outstanding kicker and punter for years, for a few years we had an outstanding return man in Dwayne Harris...Since whitehead flunked off the team they have not replaced him and the return game has been non existent. Chris Jones was hurt last year and hopefully will rebound...but like everything else that is just an assumption.

the 2019 season is on the Jones Family. They kept Garrett as a lame duck and the staff suffered for it. Its not a smart thing to do and most organizations/head coaches will not accept a lame duck situation.
Players supporting their coaches is mostly just being socially and politically correct.

Dak threw Garrett under the bus in a big way just a week or so ago.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I don't see the Cowboys getting him for Stephen Jones money. So I'm thinking he signs elsewhere. Then again, I didn't expect us to land Griffen either. So it's hard to completely bet against us.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point, which was the Jones Family screwed up by allowing Garrett back in 19 as a lame duck. Its near impossible to put a staff together in that situation. Then they made him fire Scott Linehan and put a rookie coordinator in as the play caller. it was a recipe for disaster.

I am no fan of Garrett or Marinelli. I personally think they are both good coaches but had been here long enough. Garrett could have been fired along with wade at the end of 08....or at the end of 2013. He absolutely should not have been the head coach in 2019 and it was obvious walking off the field after the loss to the rams.

having said all that you are off on tangents about things that are nonsense. When garrett ran the offense from 07-12 they had some of the best offenses in franchise history. Like him or not, credit him or not those offenses in 07, 09, 11 were excellent. the 08 team was hurt with romo missing three games and the 12 team had the worst rushing season ever because murray missed half the season and felix was nothing like his former self. It was a poor offensive line and a terrible running game without murray.

The idea that I question all the praise for this franchise meaning I am running the garrett fan club is ridiculous. Yes the team should be better with McCarthy here this year.....will the defense? Will the offensive line? They didn't handle change to well two years ago. We will see and that is all I am saying. I have said repeatedly now that all these glowing reports and tidbits are coming from the same reporters and players who said identical things last year at this time.

jerry in an interview with Bill Jones last year said the team was its most talented since 95 and that the coaching situation was so unique that it was going to be a huge help to the season. He specifically cited Garrett Richard and Moore. Now the story is they are uber talented again and the coaching will be a big help.

Its just a big sell and we won't know anything until mid october or so.
You think good coaches settle for 50+ yd FG attempts w/ over a minute left in the game? Why would you think that?

Carson

Reaction score
I don't see the Cowboys getting him for Stephen Jones money. So I'm thinking he signs elsewhere. Then again, I didn't expect us to land Griffen either. So it's hard to completely bet against us.

He will head back west to San Fran and reunite with Sherman

MikeB80

Reaction score
Players supporting their coaches is mostly just being socially and politically correct.

Dak threw Garrett under the bus in a big way just a week or so ago.

Maybe he did maybe he didn't. Depends on your perception.

If he did then that is a knock on him because the guy he is throwing under the bus stood their and took bullets for him many times over the last 4 years when he was lousy.

I personally do not think he did though. Again I do not even like Garrett because of the way he handled a number of things here but I don't think Dak is going to be taking shots at garrett.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
if some of those things are true, I pass. MM and the staff just have no time for guys like that.Its a bad fit..IF TRUE.
Well then, If that is true, than I clearly havent been paying attention.
Admittedly I havent watched every game he has played, but the man sure shows up in a lot of highlights,, a lot more than Heath ever did.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Read this! It's a tricky situation........one thing for sure, you can't have a player of his stature around a lot of young players if he's not willing to lead by example. Quite frankly, it appears he had no intention of leading with a Ravens. IF this there's a sense ( feel ) nothing's changed or he shows no regret/remorse for happened with his Raven teammates........I'm out, hard pass.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...with-star-safety-and-the-road-to-his-release/
Earl Thomas 'had to go': Inside the Ravens' stormy year with star safety and the road to his release
Nobody wins them all, not even Ravens GM Eric DeCosta

By Jason La Canfora

47 mins ago7 min read
Buyer beware, again, to those who might think the Ravens overreacted. Best do all of your homework on this one. Bringing Thomas back to Texas, where his wife was arrested on a felony charge in connection with a domestic incident in the offseason, might not be the smartest decision for myriad reasons, and Thomas might not be the best guy to bring into a locker room that has had no shortage of drama on its own.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You think good coaches settle for 50+ yd FG attempts w/ over a minute left in the game? Why would you think that?

I agree, there were a number of times over the last 3 seasons where they took shots at long field goals that made little sense. Same with passing up some opportunities with enough time left to try and go down and get a field goal only to just let time go out.

Like I said I am not running the Garrett fan club.

Also Should a 15-1 head coach with the best quarterback in the game lose at home in the divisional round to a 9-7 Wild Card Team? Is this what good coaches do?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CBS article on what happened. Makes Thomas seem like a guy just cashing a check and not giving a crap about anything - late for meetings, showing up for practice and just loafing, doing whatever he wanted during games. Sources say the player leadership council told management last week it might be time to send him to the curb. I guess you could make the argument that getting cut might knock some sense back into him but something tells me this guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

It seems like his total attitude in life has completely soured. And if McCarthy is serious about what he said about "locker room", he and the Cowboys seem likely to pass. It sounds as though Thomas hasn't been good for a locker room for a few years now.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Read this! It's a tricky situation........one thing for sure, you can't have a player of his stature around a lot of young players if he's not willing to lead by example. Quite frankly, it appears he had no intention of leading with a Ravens. IF this there's a sense ( feel ) nothing's changed or he shows no regret/remorse for happened with his Raven teammates........I'm out, hard pass.

Earl Thomas 'had to go': Inside the Ravens' stormy year with star safety and the road to his release
Nobody wins them all, not even Ravens GM Eric DeCosta

By Jason La Canfora

47 mins ago7 min read
Buyer beware, again, to those who might think the Ravens overreacted. Best do all of your homework on this one. Bringing Thomas back to Texas, where his wife was arrested on a felony charge in connection with a domestic incident in the offseason, might not be the smartest decision for myriad reasons, and Thomas might not be the best guy to bring into a locker room that has had no shortage of drama on its own.

I love how the ravens get treated like they are the good guys all the time when they are guilty of covering up a crime for a player.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No, but that doesn't mean the rest of the league is waiting for the Cowboys to do something. Everybody's seasons start in less than a month.

Yep. and I don;t want to see the Cowboys making any similar mistakes.

I'm not saying to jump in recklessly for sure. But there isn't going to be a better option shaking loose either.

I don't think that's any sort of guarantee. As I keep saying, training camps have begun and the season starts soon. Nobody has much time to "wait and see' at this time of year.
They flat out cannot offer this guy a multi year deal with all kinds of guaranteed money that will accelerate if he pulls the same crap.

I think many teams will feel that way. All it takes is one team to feel differently and that's where he will go.

I don't think I want to be that team.

I would offer him 8-12m for this season, and it would be on a weekly basis. I'm not sure if thats possible due to vet salaries being guaranteed after week one...which could be another reason he doesnt sign right away.

I'm just saying....signing him NOW, for cheap is very unlikely.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think we all agree that we are a better team with him, but it's either a team friendly deal or not at all.

Knowing him and his history, he is going to expect to pocket every bit of the difference of the contract he just lost.

I personally doubt he signs anywhere right away for that reason. ANY team is going to want a team friendly deal and he expects to get paid.

I don't see his market 'going up' after the season's started. Much like the reason why the Cowboys were able to get Griffen so cheap. Dance cards are filling up and teams are putting their rosters together for the season. You get a job now or you don't get one, but for sure, price tags are going down, not up. Especially for a guy that everybody knows has been trouble recently.

Jipper

Reaction score
The more i read on this guy, the less i want him....great player - definitely but just sounds like there are more issues behind the scenes....

obviously we are only reading one side of it, but when there is smoke there is usually fire so i would bet there is at least some truth to it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They flat out cannot offer this guy a multi year deal with all kinds of guaranteed money that will accelerate if he pulls the same crap.

I think many teams will feel that way. All it takes is one team to feel differently and that's where he will go.

I don't think I want to be that team.

I would offer him 8-12m for this season, and it would be on a weekly basis. I'm not sure if thats possible due to vet salaries being guaranteed after week one...which could be another reason he doesnt sign right away.

I'm just saying....signing him NOW, for cheap is very unlikely.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't even go any higher than $5 or $6 million. For one year, pay-as-you-play with no guarantees.

I think we signed Griffen for just that type of deal.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CBS article on what happened. Makes Thomas seem like a guy just cashing a check and not giving a crap about anything - late for meetings, showing up for practice and just loafing, doing whatever he wanted during games. Sources say the player leadership council told management last week it might be time to send him to the curb. I guess you could make the argument that getting cut might knock some sense back into him but something tells me this guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good grief!!!!!

Cowboys are smart to do their due diligence.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more i read on this guy, the less i want him....great player - definitely but just sounds like there are more issues behind the scenes....

obviously we are only reading one side of it, but when there is smoke there is usually fire so i would bet there is at least some truth to it.

I'm starting to lean that way as well.