CFZ Realistic Outlook for this year's Free Agency

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Brown was the team's #2 receiver as Gallup was a shell of his former self. Hilton was signed late and he played minimal snaps down the stretch. One big piece to our passing game is going to be gone in Shultz. Your kidding yourself if you think we are good enough in our passing game with just Lamb/Gallup/Tolbert and Ferguson. The team already has invested 3 #1 picks for their OL, yes, they need future starters at both Guard positions, but they already have their 5 starters. Certainly will continue to build the OL, but they don't need another premium pick to do so. They brought in coaches who are devising better ways to run the football and get the ball out quickly.
Yah right. Brown was the #2 early in the year until Gallup came back. And I didnt tell them to make Brown the #2. LOL

That was their decision. Just like it was their decision to give Pollard less carries and not feature him in the passing game.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft Ruggles from Ohio State for the K. Use a 5th or 6th round pick on him if needed. If we get 2 5th round comp picks as projected, use one of those.

If Wilson leaves, which may be ok, look for Hooker to get more snaps. As well they will see what they have in Bell, and will add a S via FA or the draft or both.
Two completely different positions. Wilson is a strong safety who can cover. Hooker is a FS who can tackle, although nothing like Wilson

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They aren't going to pay Tyron over 10 million to be on the bench, he is going to start. I do agree, they should move on, but that's not what they are going to do. They believe with Tyler/Steele, there is enough coverage if Tyron misses games. They aren't going to use a top pick if that player is not going to play. Now if Tyron was released, then you can make an arguement about drafting a high Guard, but that isn't the case.
Im talking about what they should do. And despite what you may read, not sure you can talk for what they are going to do.

Either way the Oline was not good enough last year when Tyron came back. Whos going to play RT while Steele recovers?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hang on, you've just conveniently blocked out the 49ers games and really the whole of '22 where the LINE WASNT THE PROBLEM.
"down the stretch" is a bunch of games. And he claimed down the entire stretch.

The line wasnt good enough in the playoffs against he best. Good enough to beat the Tampa's, not good enough to beat the Niners. Thats going to continue until we fix the problem. Line was big problem in the niners game.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Remember they drafted Wilson late on day 3, same range where Muku was also drafted. Think they will add another in that 4-5 range. We have Muku, Bell, Coyle in house, they should be fine.
I think they want to get Coyle up on the 53. He looked pretty good last year when they needed him.

Creeper

Reaction score
I just think this year will be like every other year. No big splashed in free agency. If they sign Wagner, it will be after free agency and the draft are over, and if Wagner hasn't signed with anyone else, and if he is willing to play for close to veteran minimum. The Cowboys have said repeatedly they want to go with youth and honestly that has worked better than signing washed up players like Barr. Clark will be going into his second year and his first full training camp so I think he will be ready or close to it. They also have Cox. Clark in the middle and Cox outside with Parsons will be good enough. They have Devon Harper coming back from injury as well. They mave had to usse a day 2 pick on a LB for depth,.

I don't think they will trade for or sign a WR either unless it is OBJ willing to play for almost nothing. The Cowboys have to clear CAP space to get under the CAP but they have been conservative doing that the last few years - which is a good thing. I just do not think they will sign a $20 million WR after trading one away last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They were so fine that they tried to sign OBJ and then did sign Hilton.

And when push came to shove in big games, the offense sputtered, in part to Dak and claims they didn't have enough playmakers at WR.

Nowhere did I say the offense would go into the toilet. Now you are just making things up.

And for the record, I am in agreement they should continue to build the line (both lines, frankly). I am not a fan of using another first round pick on a WR at this point. Find another WR in FA and use the first few picks to address line needs IMO.

They were so fine that they tried to sign OBJ and then did sign Hilton.

And when push came to shove in big games, the offense sputtered, in part to Dak and claims they didn't have enough playmakers at WR.

Nowhere did I say the offense would go into the toilet. Now you are just making things up.

And for the record, I am in agreement they should continue to build the line (both lines, frankly). I am not a fan of using another first round pick on a WR at this point. Find another WR in FA and use the first few picks to address line needs IMO.
YOu mean when push came to shove against the #1 defense in the NFL with pollard hurt? Yah we can agree on that.

By the end of the season they needed another WR. Thats due to injuries, rookie not working out, and Gallup not fully recovering. At the beginning of the season they were fine. Nothing a veteran midseason signing couldnt solve which was always an option. They didnt need to make a big splash at the beginning of the season.

They also didnt use Turpin at all. I would have incorporated him.

But we could have had Cooper against the Niners and we still lose. Just like we did the year prior.

Now if they had featured Pollard in 2021 last year against he niners instead of Zeke do we win? Again, cant control how poorly the FO uses their players.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We all have to keep in mind that the team has 4 big extensions on the horizon, 3 could be close to top of the market:

Diggs, Lamb, Steele, Parsons

They are all long-term pieces for this team and aren't going anywhere.

We are fully aware how Stephen Jones uses free agency, plugs all holes with bridge, low cost starters so they don't need to reach to fill a need in the draft. If they are going to spend big in fa, they have always done so with the WR position-major trades with Galloway, Roy Williams, Amari Cooper, signing TO, etc.

Offense

-I'm expecting either a big trade or big fa signing at the wide receiver position. Both Jerry/Stephen stated at the combine, they would like to add 1 more offensive weapon. OBJ is the favorite and would be the smallest cost as they don't have to give up draft picks to sign him, but Hopkins, Cooks are all in play. Believe Noah Brown has priced himself off the roster.

-Shultz will playing elsewhere. The Cowboys offensive coaches stayed back last weekend to work on their new scheme, except their TE Coach. This suggests they are looking to draft one this year and could be an higher pick than we have seen in years. TE Class is loaded this yr.

-McGovern will not be resigned, team reportedly loves Farnoik and he can play both G/C. Tyler Smith is expected to start at Guard this yr and Tyron moving back to Left Tackle. They will come up with an contingency plan for expected time missed for Tyron as they are comfortable with their three tackles.

-Think they are going to slow play Zeke Elliot, as they receive much more if he is a June 1st release. Jerry continues to say he wants him back, but Stephen says he cannot play on his current contract. Will Zeke accept a 2-3 million deal? They were looking at running backs at the combine, which suggests Zeke's time could be over.

Defense

-There are reports that the team is far apart in contract discussions with Lve. If Lve signs with another team, we can expect another veteran starter to be signed. Clark isn't ready and don't think they want a rookie starter at the position nor move Parsons there full time. Yes, Bobby Wagner will be in play, will he take less to play with Dan Quinn? If Edwards was still here, I bet former Viking, Hendricks would become a Cowboy. My guess, Wagner will be signed and finish out his career here. Don't think Barr returns.

-The same things are coming about Donovan Wilson, being far apart in contract discussion. Unlike Lve, they do have some in house replacement options. They also had close to 10 formal meeting at the combine with safety prospects. I am expecting to see Wilson signed on day 1 to a big contract for another team.

-Anthony Brown is now over 30, coming back from an achilles injury. Either they resign him to a low level, 1 yr deal to rehab with the team or they sign a bridge, starting fa. Word is that Diggs has been trying to recruit Patrick Peterson to sign with the team. He makes much more sense then trading for a Jalen Ramsey. Probably sign for less then 5 million and replace Brown as the starter.

-Dan Quinn forced the team to trade for a NT during the season, this would of never of happened during the Garrett years. Fully expected to see Jonathan Hankins resigned. Question is will they sign another NT or draft one on day 3 again like they did with Bohanna/Ridgeway? A'Shaun Robinson would be an excellent signing, heard Brockers has some interest. Fixing the run defense is priority #1 for the defense. As for the rest of the DL, Fowler might return on another 1 yr deal, if the cost is right.

Special Teams

-The Long Snapper will be resigned, question is what do they do about a place kicker? Do they sign a veteran fa like Gay from the Rams? This would be the best way to fix the position.

Free Agent Class

-OBJ, Wagner, Peterson, Hankins, Gay or someone similar at K.
Good post! The only disagreement I have is with Carter. I think he’s ready to be a starter.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im talking about what they should do. And despite what you may read, not sure you can talk for what they are going to do.

Either way the Oline was not good enough last year when Tyron came back. Whos going to play RT while Steele recovers?
First, the OL was never able to recover from the loss of Steele. Stephen Jones stated that Steele was ahead of his recovery and is expected to be ready at the start of camp. We never had the opportunity to see Tyron, Tyler, Steele in the starting lineup last year.

The OL was the league best in sacks given up, there biggest issue was their inability to run the football down the stretch, which coincided with the loss of Steele who was a terrific run blocker. Team thought they run scheme needed fixing and decided to move on from both their OL and RB coaches. They brought in a seasoned OL coach with an experienced OC to fix that part of the offense, where MM is going to become the passing game coordinator.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yah right. Brown was the #2 early in the year until Gallup came back. And I didnt tell them to make Brown the #2. LOL

That was their decision. Just like it was their decision to give Pollard less carries and not feature him in the passing game.
Problem was when Gallup returned, he wasn't the same player, this forced Dak to throw the football more to Brown, which in essence he was the 2nd best receiver on the team last yr. To be able to out together a balanced attack, they are going to need to upgrade their passing game as well or they will just stack the box.

Sydla

Reaction score
YOu mean when push came to shove against the #1 defense in the NFL with pollard hurt? Yah we can agree on that.

By the end of the season they needed another WR. Thats due to injuries, rookie not working out, and Gallup not fully recovering. At the beginning of the season they were fine. Nothing a veteran midseason signing couldnt solve which was always an option. They didnt need to make a big splash at the beginning of the season.

They also didnt use Turpin at all. I would have incorporated him.

But we could have had Cooper against the Niners and we still lose. Just like we did the year prior.

Now if they had featured Pollard in 2021 last year against he niners instead of Zeke do we win? Again, cant control how poorly the FO uses their players.
The 49ers game was the only game Dak and the offense sputtered?

LOL, you realize the bolded part proves our point right? People literally argued with you that banking on Gallup coming off ACL surgery (and not being ready for the first month) was a real risk as was banking on young guys and rookies. People predicted this would happen, you fought with them and now you are admitting what they told you could happen. LOL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First, the OL was never able to recover from the loss of Steele. Stephen Jones stated that Steele was ahead of his recovery and is expected to be ready at the start of camp. We never had the opportunity to see Tyron, Tyler, Steele in the starting lineup last year.

The OL was the league best in sacks given up, there biggest issue was their inability to run the football down the stretch, which coincided with the loss of Steele who was a terrific run blocker. Team thought they run scheme needed fixing and decided to move on from both their OL and RB coaches. They brought in a seasoned OL coach with an experienced OC to fix that part of the offense, where MM is going to become the passing game coordinator.
They are average in both run blocking and pass blocking. Couldn’t recover from Steele? Tyron was his replacement. Which strengthens my point. We need turnover as much as we need quality.

Steele is great run blocking but mediocre pass blocker. And now she’s recovering.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Problem was when Gallup returned, he wasn't the same player, this forced Dak to throw the football more to Brown, which in essence he was the 2nd best receiver on the team last yr. To be able to out together a balanced attack, they are going to need to upgrade their passing game as well or they will just stack the box.
You can upgrade both a run game and pass game just by improving your oline.

Personally I think we need a speed #2. I was disappointed in Gallup but I feel he’ll be better this year. If not, cut him next year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The 49ers game was the only game Dak and the offense sputtered?

LOL, you realize the bolded part proves our point right? People literally argued with you that banking on Gallup coming off ACL surgery (and not being ready for the first month) was a real risk as was banking on young guys and rookies. People predicted this would happen, you fought with them and now you are admitting what they told you could happen. LOL.
Not my words, yours. Offenses sputter. That’s why it’s called an average.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
"down the stretch" is a bunch of games. And he claimed down the entire stretch.

The line wasnt good enough in the playoffs against he best. Good enough to beat the Tampa's, not good enough to beat the Niners. Thats going to continue until we fix the problem. Line was big problem in the niners game.
....not as big a problem as Dak???