Reality check for the Jaylon Smith/LVE experiment

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not sure about building around a dude that hasnt taken a snap yet....

But I DO want to see him on the field sooner than later.

If he is simply overmatched in the league, fine, but I'd like to see it...because frankly, I'm having trouble trusting this staff and what it is they are doing on several levels.
at a point where its next man up, I say..just do it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
For being such a big dude, Jaylon does not like to stick his nose into contact. He is always tacking from behind or on the side of the player. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
perfect analogy. He doesnt get down and dirty. Lacks the killer instincts and football mentality. He is soft. Teams seek him out and run at him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
First, Jaylon may be the most over hyped guy at his position that the Cowboys ever had. Maybe more than Hollywood Henderson, but at least he made plays and was actually very good,all for a short time. When is it fair to say the Jaylon Smith story should be over here in Dallas? What has he actually done to make plays in crucial moments? Lets have this debate.

Jaylon Smith was 4th in the NFL in unassisted tackles last season. He was 1st in tackle assists - in the entire league. Probably should know basic information when calling for a debate.

The emotions in this place after a loss. :rolleyes:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That extension is not looking good

Jaylon Smith was 4th in the NFL in unassisted tackles last season. He was 1st in tackle assists - in the entire league.

The feelz on this board after a loss. :rolleyes:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You may be right.

He's not right. Not even close.

Jaylon Smith was 4th in the NFL in unassisted tackles last season. He was 1st in tackle assists - in the entire league.

Just a bunch belly-aching about everything today - cut everybody! Trade everybody! :muttley:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At least Lee is actually good when he’s healthy.

LVE and Jaylon were anointed last year and have been horrible ever since.

# of tackles do not make you a good player. So don’t come at me with total tackles as a case to prove Jaylon is good. Jaylon is not good.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i liked the idea of drafting Kenneth Murray.
i got torched by some for that...cant use a high pick on a off ball LB...blah,blah,blah.
now....im glad we made the right call with CeeDee Lamb...but there was a reason for their interest in both Murray and Lsu's Patrick Queen.

Sydla

Reaction score
Our LBs are just terrible in coverage. Smith doesn't look nearly as quick as he did in 2018. LVE, well he's a constant injury risk and frankly wasn't looking great before he got hurt last night. Thomas is our best LB.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Our LBs are just terrible in coverage. Smith doesn't look nearly as quick as he did in 2018. LVE, well he's a constant injury risk and frankly wasn't looking great before he got hurt last night. Thomas is our best LB.

Finding 2-3 young LBs in the Thomas mold should not be hard to do without spending significant cap/draft resources over the next year. Obviously you would prefer dynamic LBs but you can win defensively with solid versatile players like Thomas at LB.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
that unit gets exposed time and time again...its awful. Jaylon just isnt good. He has poor form and is always over running plays, and not a good tackler. Not sound fundamentally. Time to maybe trade the guy.
:clap:

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
its clear as day, the entire defense is horrid. Just play the youngsters at this point. Cut Poe...he was awful. Aldon was good...and did Griffen even play? lol.. and our dt's were MIA. Our db's , same thing. Imagine what Atlanta will do this week. Wont be a pretty sight.
The rams outcoached-schemed us 'yesterday'. I'm confident enough in Mccarthy's track record to anticipate seeing many if not all of the necessary adjustments needed for us to achieve real success not just lip service. Give our whole team a quarter of the season and then pull the out the ax on anyone who ain't worth their salt.

Bigtex67

Reaction score

The feelz on this board after a loss. :rolleyes:

Jake, not going to argue with the stats. My issue is that those tackles are usually 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage. He needs to make that hit in the hole at the line of scrimmage or at the very least for a 1-2 yard gain.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First, Jaylon may be the most over hyped guy at his position that the Cowboys ever had. Maybe more than Hollywood Henderson, but at least he made plays and was actually very good,all for a short time. When is it fair to say the Jaylon Smith story should be over here in Dallas? What has he actually done to make plays in crucial moments? Lets have this debate. Should we trade him..cut bait?LVE...CAN WE ALL just be real and say this is a failed venture? He is always hurt...he is Sean Lee junior and that is not a good thing. Can we all admit our linebackers stink? LVE when healthy is our best..but key phrase...when healthy. Lee is all but toast. and when Thomas is your best LB, you know we got issues at that position. When is it time to start Francis Bernard and go with new blood?Lets have a real conversation about this.

Watch Jaylon play. He looks slow and doesn't run with an even gait. It always looks like a struggle.

He ain't physically right, and wasn't all last year either.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
One thing you got wrong is LVE is not like Sean Lee. LVE has neck issues that will probably end his career in his early-mid 20s. Lee just had bad luck staying healthy, but is still playing into his 30s.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
not gonna lie looking at Jaylon jump around blockers in the run game in pretty bad. Not sure why he jumps around so much. You have zero leverage when your airbone.