Reality check for the Jaylon Smith/LVE experiment

blueblood70

Reaction score
First, Jaylon may be the most over hyped guy at his position that the Cowboys ever had. Maybe more than Hollywood Henderson, but at least he made plays and was actually very good,all for a short time. When is it fair to say the Jaylon Smith story should be over here in Dallas? What has he actually done to make plays in crucial moments? Lets have this debate. Should we trade him..cut bait?LVE...CAN WE ALL just be real and say this is a failed venture? He is always hurt...he is Sean Lee junior and that is not a good thing. Can we all admit our linebackers stink? LVE when healthy is our best..but key phrase...when healthy. Lee is all but toast. and when Thomas is your best LB, you know we got issues at that position. When is it time to start Francis Bernard and go with new blood?Lets have a real conversation about this.

no he just got new deal and hasn't had any good players around him in while, at least his injurys concerns are done with
is it fair that hes had to play with backups and aging players around him and hes put out of position etc etc

no way tpo Judge Jsmith when Lee and LVE cant stay in the lineup long enough to see what they do as a unit..

its like now having Looney and Steele vs Fredrick and LC and now saying martin sux because he looked bad Sunday wen we know why ..they are unit and the weak links make the fence look weak,,man one loss and now 72hrs worth of posts have everyone replaced including the Hc being fraud..you guys are just special,

thats not a compliment ,

btw its not an experiment when you get a huge new deal, better find layers around him before you blame Jsmith..

Creeper

Reaction score
It's too early to give up on LVE. Maybe he is snakebit but I think we need to give him more time. Jaylon Smith was a bad pick. I said it then. Too much of a risk for a high 2nd round pick. If healthy, I thought he would be better though. He is clearly not. He has the talent and he shows flashes a few times a year but that's not nearly enough. I do not like the Cowboys coaches after the game saying he played well when it is obvious he didn't. Of course that could just be covering for their player. The thing is, they are already so light at LB. Jaylon almost has to play regardless of the liability with him in there.

pitt33

Reaction score
not gonna lie looking at Jaylon jump around blockers in the run game in pretty bad. Not sure why he jumps around so much. You have zero leverage when your airbone.
he's protecting that forever damaged knee. He's petrified of planting that leg and getting it blown out again.

Jaylon is practically playing at what appears to be 50% of his former self

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
This is the scariest thing from week 1.
La'el will be back.

Dallas needs to move Jaylon back to MLB (who thought he was a WIll??) and go sign a Will today.
LVE has to be considered done.
Jaylon is serviceable as a blitzer but he's otherwise a liability as a football player and LB and he's a horrible MLB. Playing him in pass rushing sub packages will be wise until they can restructure his contract or get rid of him.

Last edited:

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
There’s a really long article on Jaylon from the Athletic in which they interview the people closest to him (eg. trainer, manager, family, etc.).

It’s pretty informative. One thing that is discussed is Jaylon still has issues with the foot. And per his trainer (who is also his cousin) he doesn’t have full dorsiflexion in his foot.

“The greatest culprit is residual damage in his peroneal nerve, which manifests as weakness in his foot. From what he’s observed, Kelly believes the tell-tale sign lies in Smith’s explosion. While the sideline-to-sideline movement “looked like the old Jaylon,” he doesn’t have quite the same burst starting and stopping. Smith, ever adaptable, has learned how to thrive in spite of that.”
Great content, we've seen this foolishness for years even without the details articulated in that article. Smith has definitely learned to 'connive' in spite of his physical limitations. The FO deserves a pumpkin head for his second contract, a complete sham.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I said when the Cowboys wasted a 2nd round pick on a player they knew wouldn't play a down his rookie season and even some doctors said that it might be years before he could be what he was prior to the injury and made this pick solely based on what he might have been before the injury, I said it was a huge mistake. He has never come close to what their hopes were for him and to sign him to another 5 year deal in 2019 was just as huge of a mistake. LVE when healthy is good and I hope his injury prone days are over.

Rayman70

Reaction score
no he just got new deal and hasn't had any good players around him in while, at least his injurys concerns are done with
is it fair that hes had to play with backups and aging players around him and hes put out of position etc etc

no way tpo Judge Jsmith when Lee and LVE cant stay in the lineup long enough to see what they do as a unit..

its like now having Looney and Steele vs Fredrick and LC and now saying martin sux because he looked bad Sunday wen we know why ..they are unit and the weak links make the fence look weak,,man one loss and now 72hrs worth of posts have everyone replaced including the Hc being fraud..you guys are just special,

thats not a compliment ,

btw its not an experiment when you get a huge new deal, better find layers around him before you blame Jsmith..
HE CANT OR WONT TACKLE. THATS ON HIM.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What makes you think that Jaylon Smith/LVE was and experiment..With your logic, it seems you are referencing to the fact that Smith/LVE was and experiment from the beginning..Hog Wash Man..15 games to go Man..It looks like you're in for long season with your nonsense..
WE moved Jaylon. Hence, experiment. Thus we moved LVE.,so put that in your pipe and smoke it.You want a cookie?

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
I said when the Cowboys wasted a 2nd round pick on a player they knew wouldn't play a down his rookie season and even some doctors said that it might be years before he could be what he was prior to the injury and made this pick solely based on what he might have been before the injury, I said it was a huge mistake. He has never come close to what their hopes were for him and to sign him to another 5 year deal in 2019 was just as huge of a mistake. LVE when healthy is good and I hope his injury prone days are over.
Good points now I'll take LVE in a part time role but we need two NFL caliber starting LB's ASAP.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith was 4th in the NFL in unassisted tackles last season. He was 1st in tackle assists - in the entire league. Probably should know basic information when calling for a debate.

The emotions in this place after a loss. :rolleyes:
no, the facts are he is not a good tackler and runs himself out of plays. When was the last time he made a play? INT?FUMBLE RECOVERY? CAUSED A FUMBLE?TACKLE FOR LOSS?ANYTHING?Stats are very misleading. We need difference makers. He doesnt stick his head in there and stop the runner.Poor gap recognition.

Rayman70

Reaction score
not gonna lie looking at Jaylon jump around blockers in the run game in pretty bad. Not sure why he jumps around so much. You have zero leverage when your airbone.
this is spot on. He doesnt like contact,he prefers to rely on his speed and avoid contact. NOT GOOD.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wanted us to draft Rashaan Evans over LVE
Evans is far and away the better player, agree. He seeks contact and has good instincts. We have no one that can do that at LB...unless its Gifford or Bernard. I say we find out and play them. Bench the starters and send a message that NOTHING is given.I think they are satisfied fat cats. MM needs to send a message.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jake, not going to argue with the stats. My issue is that those tackles are usually 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage. He needs to make that hit in the hole at the line of scrimmage or at the very least for a 1-2 yard gain.
stats are very misleading and you nailed it. When was the last time he or any of the linebackers made a play behind the line or had a pick?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Watch Jaylon play. He looks slow and doesn't run with an even gait. It always looks like a struggle.

He ain't physically right, and wasn't all last year either.
where it counts most, between the ears..he is lacking.IMO, he looks satisfied. Losing doesnt seem to affect him.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I've never seen a LB get blocked into and fall into tackles more than J Smith, I guess it helps to pad the stats. I thought he would be better and was not a fan of his extension, he's milking it for all its worth right now as far as "look at me"....guess I cant blame him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the biggest thing missing seems to be the love of the game, the fire and drive to win. I don't see it with Jaylon. He is lethargic and out of position, and isnt a willing gap filler/tackler.TIMID.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It’s a paywall, so cant link to it.

I’ll post so more content in a minute (on a webinar right now).
Understood. I guess I am trying to figure out did the front office extend him because he is a great feel good story? Did they view him as an ascending player? Did him and his team completely fool the Cowboys? Because when I watch him play....he has no business being a starting LBer in the NFL...let along being a player you extend. And I am not a scout, a coach or work in the front office of a NFL team. So deep down I have to believe that this is a "Jerry special" Because any "football man" that advised Jerry on extending him should never be able to make football decisions again. Jaylons issue extend FAR beyond physical...he is simply not an instinctive football player....at a position that requires instincts. Couple that with the fact that he is physically hampered leaves me scratching my head on whose idea was this?!