RECAP: Sean Salisbury on Vince Young's workout...

joseephuss

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
How many coverages did he see today? How many times did he have to check down to another play or make some decisions on the fly.

Geez, these guys get all warm and fuzzy over a guy whith great "zip" on the ball. Well, Ryan Leaf had great Zip on the ball as well. How'd that work out?

If the guy doesn't have it upstairs he ain't gonna cut it in today's NFL at QB. Pure and simple.

Young had a couple of negatives coming into today, his passing and his brain. Many were predicting that his passing would be poor. Passing is an important part of being a QB and he may have shown that he can do that part today. I agree it takes some gray matter upstairs and that will take time to evaluate for any QB.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
this was my post on the other Vince Young thread

more people will come more impressed with him as they watch him instead of having those false doubts that he'll be like Mike Vick when they are totally different players.

He improved a lot from his sophmore to junior year and with the work ethic that people say he has then he will continue to get better.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Teams will overreact the way they overreacted to Jeff George, Kyle Boller, and Alex Smith's workouts.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Not to put a damper on everyone's enthusiasm but Chad Hutchinson looked great in practice too. Throwing in a game is very different than throwing in practice.

I'm not saying that Young won't be a great player but he had a long ways to go a month ago and now he is John Elway? I would still be a bit leary of spending a high pick on him unless I could afford to let him sit for a while. Tennessee is still the most likely spot for him but I hear they are leaning towards Cutler now. I doubt Oakland takes a chance on him but you never know.
lol.
What did Hutch ever do on an actual football field tho to show he could play?
VY was the best player on the best team in the country.

He was worth a top 5 pick BEFORE today but it never hurts to repeatedly show what you have and he has.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
we bought a shot glass that says "wherethehellisUncertainTexas?"

hahah.. I had fun there

If you really know the lake well, there are areas that are downright prehistoric looking... and people rarely go to... it is really an adventure...

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
He ain't what he looks like.

You're right, he's better.

p.s. Your comment about "how many coverages..." apparently just enough to lead the nation in efficiency, and win a national championship.

Gaede

Reaction score
I saw him the year before this and he was terrible.

Then I missed practically the whole college season this year and only saw Young in the Rose Bowl.

The difference was night and day.

I have no reason to believe his incredible progress will stop in the NFL

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I really don't care about his combine #s , or his Wonderlic score , or what he did today in Texas . All I know is that he finished with the 3rd best completition % in the country (that means throwing the ball) , 18th in total passing yards , 41st in the nation in rushing , led the #1 scoring offense in the nation to an undefeated season and a Rose Bowl appearance , and won the MVP of the Rose Bowl . Use all the combine #s and test scores you want , all I care about is what he does on the field , and what he does on the field is win .

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
jterrell said:
lol.

He was worth a top 5 pick BEFORE today but it never hurts to repeatedly show what you have and he has.

He showed he could throw footballs into a trash bin nearly 50 yards away. I say this qualifies because, technically, it took place "on" a football field. :)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
You're right, he's better.

p.s. Your comment about "how many coverages..." apparently just enough to lead the nation in efficiency, and win a national championship.

In College. Big jump to the NFL. Hey, if the guy can do it I'm all for him. I just don't think you roll the dice on someone who is suspect in any area that high in the draft. Now if he fell to us at 18 I might would consider it. Maybe. And then only if Jay Cutler was not available. But I hope he does well. I ain't against him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell said:
lol.

JT, for once, we might actually be on the same page with regard to a QB.

I agree. Young was the most efficiant passer in college football last year. He was easily the most explosive, and that includes Reggie Bush. All he's done is consistantly prove his detractors wrong, win games and show the ability to improve consistantly.

Still, it is not enough to get the slightest benifit of the doubt. It's OK thou. He's going to be taken high regardless IMO. He is going to make some team very happy.

wick

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
How many coverages did he see today? How many times did he have to check down to another play or make some decisions on the fly.

Geez, these guys get all warm and fuzzy over a guy whith great "zip" on the ball. Well, Ryan Leaf had great Zip on the ball as well. How'd that work out?

If the guy doesn't have it upstairs he ain't gonna cut it in today's NFL at QB. Pure and simple.

Yeah, it's not like Vince Young has ever done well in actual games. The bottom line is that Young detractors have to project and fabricate reasons why he won't be successful, because they have absolutely nothing to work with in the realm of fact.

joseephuss

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
In College. Big jump to the NFL. Hey, if the guy can do it I'm all for him. I just don't think you roll the dice on someone who is suspect in any area that high in the draft. Now if he fell to us at 18 I might would consider it. Maybe. And then only if Jay Cutler was not available. But I hope he does well. I ain't against him.

So do you think Jay Cutler is worth a top pick? What has he done to show that he can make the big jump to the NFL? I am not saying he can't be a good NFL QB, but he has to have some questions regarding his ability to play at the next level. All QBs do. You say Young has only played at a high level in college, but Cutler hasn't even done that. I think both will do well. I think Young will continue to impress if he the team that drafts him shows some patience.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell said:
lol.

:hammer:

People here are amazing! I think there are more then a few kettles calling the pot black with the stupid comments.

silver

Reaction score
trickblue said:
  • Saban, McCarthy ad Kubiak were there. There were some Cowboy scouts there.

Is there a slim chance we end up with him? does anybody remember what it was we traded in '91 to end up with the 1st overall pick?

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Not to put a damper on everyone's enthusiasm but Chad Hutchinson looked great in practice too. Throwing in a game is very different than throwing in practice.

I'm not saying that Young won't be a great player but he had a long ways to go a month ago and now he is John Elway? I would still be a bit leary of spending a high pick on him unless I could afford to let him sit for a while. Tennessee is still the most likely spot for him but I hear they are leaning towards Cutler now. I doubt Oakland takes a chance on him but you never know.

i think vince threw alright in college games :rolleyes:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
THUMPER said:

the single-most impressive thing i got from watching Vince Young perform in game conditions was that he is a leader super-cool under pressure.

IMO, the only legit knock on the guy is the formation he worked from. every other negative contention is merely grasping at straws.

he's made all the throws. he has, not just escapability, but the knack for making big plays after pulling down the ball. don't pigieonhole him and diss his arm - he finds the open man. he beats the defender with his throws and puts the ball where only his receiver can make a play. he's big, he's strong, he's fast. and he's dominated at every level he's ever played.

he's very likely gonna make his detractors look pretty dang foolish in a coupla years. guys a thoroughbred and if he was a horse in the kentucky derby he'd go off at 5-2 odds. he's just a winner.

Kchunda

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
I really don't care about his combine #s , or his Wonderlic score , or what he did today in Texas . All I know is that he finished with the 3rd best completition % in the country (that means throwing the ball) , 18th in total passing yards , 41st in the nation in rushing , led the #1 scoring offense in the nation to an undefeated season and a Rose Bowl appearance , and won the MVP of the Rose Bowl . Use all the combine #s and test scores you want , all I care about is what he does on the field , and what he does on the field is win .

I was at the Rose Bowl last year, the Cotton Bowl this year, the Big 12 Championship and back to the Rose bowl again. . . and even though I don't remember the end of the games too clearly (thanks, beer), he did impress me enough to freakin' fly across the country multiple times to watch him.

This guy just wins.

However, I doubt the Cowboys have a chance in hell in drafting him unless we trade T.O., Henson and a ton of picks to get up there. (just guessing)

calico

Reaction score
Damn, Young really is in a no win situation with most people. He slips up on a worthless test and he is dubbed a ******* for the rest of his life; then he gets rave reviews on his workout, but that still is not good enough, he hasn't seen coverages or defenses.

Well, he sure played well last year under pressure from OSU where he constantly found the open receiver and eluded blitzing LBs.

He tore apart the Pete Carrol secondary, which uses some of the most confusing schemes, with ease.

The kid has done nothing but make ****ing plays when everyone doubts him and pushes himself to get better.

He is no Ryan Leaf, not even close. I only wish we were in position to pick him up but we won't because he can't play third base. I only wish that we had some people on this team who have the character that Young does...then we would not miss the playoffs...

Go ahead and doubt him, he will prove everyone wrong just like he has been doing for the past few years.

Reaction score
Kchunda said:
I was at the Rose Bowl last year, the Cotton Bowl this year, the Big 12 Championship and back to the Rose bowl again. . . and even though I don't remember the end of the games too clearly (thanks, beer), he did impress me enough to freakin' fly across the country multiple times to watch him.

How does a game between Tx Tech and Bama correlate into a VY opinion?