RECAP: T.O. sitting down with Screamin' A. Smith *Merge*

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Based on this interview, I think there are two major problems that TO has, and couple other problems I have.

1. Before Werder's report, Calvin Hill reported that TO led the groups of receivers in to ***** to Garrett. I think it's pretty much confirmed that this isn't how it happened. Multiple people have come out and said Garrett called the meetings. Calvin Hill himself even said that it's likely true that Garrett called the meetings, because he was only reporting what he heard from other people who probably didn't know how exactly the meeting came about.

2. Next, there's what I'll call the "conspiracy quote." We'll never know if TO actually said he thinks that Witten and Romo are secretly meeting and drawing up plays, but the idea that he actually thought that just seems silly. This isn't a national security issue. If TO said it, he should know exactly who he said it to. But apparently he doesn't and all we have are Werder's anonymous sources.

3. There's the problem of Werder claiming that Bradie James's quotes back up his story. Quite simply that's just a gross exaggeration. Bradie makes a general comment about him being a peace maker when things heat up in the locker room. He doesn't refer to TO or anyone else. He doesn't refer to this past week. He just makes a general statement that in the past there have been times where he, considering himself a leader on the team, takes on the peacemaker role.

4. The supposed altercation in practice. Everyone denies this.

So, in the end, we come down to all that we know happened is that Jason Garrett called a meeting with his receivers. That's it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
theogt;2501006 said:
2. Next, there's what I'll call the "conspiracy quote." We'll never know if TO actually said he thinks that Witten and Romo are secretly meeting and drawing up plays, but the idea that he actually thought that just seems silly. This isn't a national security issue. If TO said it, he should know exactly who he said it to. But apparently he doesn't and all we have are Werder's anonymous sources.

I'm going to take a guess here and say if that quote was true, then he said it to one of the other black receivers or one of the other black players he's close with.

I don't want to turn this into a racial situation, but I'm not naive either. On sports teams I've been associated with and even being an assistant coach of a youth football team equally divided with blacks and whites, the black players and parents have a level of friendship together that they do not have with the white players and parents - even though both groups are cordial to one another. And they (the black parents) say some things they wouldn't say in the company of white parents - comments about which players (whites) get more playing time, who the head coach favors. The insinuations border on racism/racial prejudice because we have a white coach - or that's what they believe.

I try not to go there, but it's a dynamic many think isn't present in locker rooms, but it is.

I think T.O. is hurt because one of his friends betrayed him. And that's why he desires to find out who leaked this information to Werder.

That's my theory.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Edited more into the recap.

At no point in the interview did either Stephen or Terrell refer to anything racist. I have no idea where that came from.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
theogt;2501019 said:

At no point in the interview did either Stephen or Terrell refer to anything racist. I have no idea where that came from.

Maybe it came from Werder. :D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2501015 said:
I'm going to take a guess here and say if that quote was true, then he said it to one of the other black receivers or one of the other black players he's close with.

I don't want to turn this into a racial situation, but I'm not naive either. On sports teams I've been associated with and even being an assistant coach of a youth football team equally divided with blacks and whites, the black players and parents have a level of friendship together that they do not have with the white players and parents - even though both groups are cordial to one another. And they (the black parents) say some things they wouldn't say in the company of white parents - comments about which players (whites) get more playing time, who the head coach favors. The insinuations border on racism/racial prejudice because we have a white coach - or that's what they believe.

I try not to go there, but it's a dynamic many think isn't present in locker rooms, but it is.

I think T.O. is hurt because one of his friends betrayed him. And that's why he desires to find out who leaked this information to Werder.

That's my theory.

You have reached and reached and reached with this. You're obessed with it and you've gone to extremes to defend Werder. You are obviously educated and able to express yourself. But you're filling an empty balloon now.

It's clear to most of us that this was manufactured. It's naive to actually think that TO would believe then say Romo and Witten are conspiring to keep the ball away from him.

His buddies and Werder himself can preach until the cows come home that this was just a straight up story. I and most of us will never believe it even for a second. At least not the mature and reasonable people on the board. Too many errors in the reporting. It's dead. And I'm not even going into the spin ESPN has now put on it to get more and more mileage out of it.

Ole Ed had some fun with this one but for a lot of people here he got dusted and diminished some. Surely it likely won't hurt him. He's too established. But if he continues this stuff it eventually will and I think quickly. So if he's smart then something good will come of this.

I really wish this would just go away. And soon. The best think we could do is to bury it by ignoring it.

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2501019 said:

It's a two part interview, so it might be in the 2nd clip.

The Panch

Reaction score
It's naive to actually think that TO would believe then say Romo and Witten are conspiring to keep the ball away from him.
Exactly why is it naive when talking about Owens? He is an overly emotional egomaniac who throws fits when he doesnt get the ball in a loss and looks like he wants to kill somebody when he doesnt get the ball in a win. Last Sunday was the first time I can remember him happy while putting up mediocre numbers. From the owner to the head coach to the coordinator, all go out of their way to satisfy his ego and publically state he constantly needs to ball in his hands and his ego believes it. When he isnt getting the ball, you dont know what's going on in his head or what excuses he makes cause he cant except the fact that most of the time, he's not running his routes right and not getting enough seperation, so it has to be somebody else's fault.

BHendri5

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2501015 said:

That's my theory.

That theory, even you would have to say is flawed

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2501062 said:
Exactly why is it naive when talking about Owens? He is an overly emotional egomaniac who throws fits when he doesnt get the ball in a loss and looks like he wants to kill somebody when he doesnt get the ball in a win. Last Sunday was the first time I can remember him happy while putting up mediocre numbers. From the owner to the head coach to the coordinator, all go out of their way to satisfy his ego and publically state he constantly needs to ball in his hands and his ego believes it. When he isnt getting the ball, you dont know what's going on in his head or what excuses he makes cause he cant except the fact that most of the time, he's not running his routes right and not getting enough seperation, so it has to be somebody else's fault.
I see him smiling all the time during wins, even if he isn't getting the ball.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
Ratliff fundamentally conceded it all went down.

You conspiracy theorists are truly funny guys.

Let's think: Do I believe every reporter that has been close to the situation or do I believe one guy who has made lies, deceit, blaming and dissension his personal signature.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
The Panch;2501062 said:

careful your bias is showing.

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2501088 said:
I see him smiling all the time during wins, even if he isn't getting the ball.
Maybe I focus too much on it, but all I can remember is Owens looking pissed off after last year's Detroit game where he was held to two catches and surprise surprise, Witten had the game of a lifetime for a Tight End and was the hero while Owens was open on the same game winning TD play.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The Panch;2501097 said:
Maybe I focus too much on it, but all I can remember is Owens looking pissed off after last year's Detroit game where he was held to two catches and surprise surprise, Witten had the game of a lifetime for a Tight End and was the hero while Owens was open on the same game winning TD play.

Focus on single moments in time much?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
newera;2501043 said:
the whole interview is being shown on espnews

NO it's not.

ESPN is chopping this thing up into 123 parts and it's annoying.

They had the 5+ minuteson earlier which I recorded and put up.

Then I saw a bit of it where he says he told Witten in not so many word to 'don't talk to him about it anymore'. That's where the 'altercation' stuff came from.

Then there is another part about the fans and Jerry and blah blah blah.

Just put the entire F'ing interview on at once!!!

I am going to record the entire 2am est Sportscenter and then edit it all together into one video for the morning.

The Panch

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2501102 said:
Focus on single moments in time much?
It's been nothing new to Owens his entire career and I am one of the ones who doesnt believe for a second that he's changed. He just realized he's got everyone on this franchise kissing his butt, so he doesnt wanna screw it up and come off as the bad guy.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The Panch;2501062 said:

He was pretty stone-faced at the end of the Green Bay game too--a game that we won (due in large part to his hustle) but also a game in which he was shut down offensively. It's all about his numbers; winning is incidental. We won the Cincy game, but that didn't satiate his lust for more and more passes thrown his way. Nor was he exactly running free in that game. Likewise, when someone not named TO scores, you don't see him racing down the field to join in the celebration. Then again, what do you expect from a narcissist with a persecution complex?

The Panch

Reaction score
bbgun;2501114 said:
He was pretty stone-faced at the end of the Green Bay game too--a game that we won (due in large part to his hustle) but also a game in which he was shut down offensively. It's all about his numbers; winning is incidental. We won the Cincy game, but that didn't satiate his lust for more and more passes thrown his way. Nor was he exactly running free in that game. Likewise, when someone not named TO scores, you don't see him racing down the field to join in the celebration. Then again, what do you expect from a narcissist with a persecution complex?
I'll give him a break about other guys scoring TDs. He will give dap and throw his arms up. The last time I remember him not looking enthusiastic about a teammate getting into the endzone was none other than Witten in the Seattle game.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbgun;2501114 said:

To Panch and bbgun: So... Do you guys also discount the continuous downfield blocking he does every single game religiously? Often times, it's his downfield blocking that springs the long runs for our RBs. He takes pride in doing that and often celebrates with the RBs when they score. What's that all about?

The Panch

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2501123 said:
To Panch and bbgun: So... Do you guys also discount the continuous downfield blocking he does every single game religiously? Often times, it's his downfield blocking that springs the long runs for our RBs. He takes pride in doing that and often celebrates with the RBs when they score. What's that all about?
I believe I saved myself from that one with my previous post. :cool: