RELEASED Redmond and Thorson released

Rayman70

Reaction score
I doubt it because teams don't have 4 QB's during the season even if 1 is on the practice squad. Yes there are more players on practice squads this season because of covid but I doubt they will have 4QB's.
DUDE, chill. I am not a fan of signing Thomas. I am simply throwing the notion out there that MAYBE there was another thinkng behind doing this now,rather than waiting.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
DUDE, chill. I am not a fan of signing Thomas. I am simply throwing the notion out there that MAYBE there was another thinkng behind doing this now,rather than waiting.

First next time you might want to reply to the comment that speaks to what you're talking about. This comment was about keeping 4 QB's. Second I was just pointing out that your notion really didn't apply to what you were saying. That teams don't have to cut players ahead of signing free agents and can do it at the same time they sign the free agent. BTW 10 other teams have released players between yesterday and today. Maybe all of them are thinking about signing Thomas too. I commend you for thinking about and wondering about the cuts but like the other teams they just knew they didn't want those players for their 53 man roster. Don't stop thinking there are to many here that don't.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The 1st week to 10 days, they said he was making some plays. But nothing after that, as Wilson took off, as well as Brown improved, and seemed Bryant and Parker were getting more practice reps. Either he was not picking it up, struggling, didn't care, injured, who knows. Probably lack of ST's nor wanting to play ST's had more to do with it.

Was pulling for him, but they deemed him not one of the top 53. So be it, time to move on.

Yeah. I don't think this was a Jimmy Smith moment. At best, he's probably depth for a some team.

Kwyn

Reaction score
https://ibb.co/thFDQmv

Dalton: In Cowboys training camp, we have no names.

Dak: No, listen to me. This is a quarterback and he has a name, and it's Clayton Thorson, okay?

Looney: Clayton Thorson.

Dak: He is cut now, because of us, all right? You understand that?

[Everyone stares at Dak]

Looney: I understand. When they’re cut, a member of Practice Squad has a name. His name is Clayton Thorson.

Dalton: His name is Clayton Thorson.

Dak: Stop it! Shut up!

All Practice Squad: His name is Clayton Thorson!

All Practixe Squad (louder): His name is Clayton Thorson! His name is Clayton Thorson!

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Pretty sure the reason Smith was cut was his lack of special teams play.

Wilson, Brown and Bryant are all solid special team guys.

yes, I know Smith was an elite gunner at OSU. Some reason he just never played special teams in the nfl

Trendnet

Reaction score
Maybe it's strange that you put so much stock into the SPECULATION of a sportswriter. That's where all this talk about Smith started.

Good point!

So Devin Smith still has a lock on the #3 WR position then?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got that a player called up to the 55 man roster has to be a lineman but there are no position rules like that.

It appears the offensive lineman clause concerns the active roster not the 55:

Earlier this week, during our 53-man roster projection, there was some confusion about roster sizes, game day active rosters, the practice squad size, and the game-day inactive list. So I’ll cite some of the CBA changes and do my best to clear up any confusion. Let’s start with the game day active roster. Here is the CBA’s language:

Beginning with the 2020 regular season, the Active List limit shall be increased from forty-six players per Club to forty-eight players per Club; provided, however, that such a Club’s Active List includes a minimum of eight players whose primary playing position is Center, Guard or Tackle (collectively, “Offensive Lineman”).

Interpretation: As long as the team has eight or more linemen that are active, they’re allowed to have 48 roster spots instead of 46, which was the maximum number of active gameday players under the previous CBA. Teams need to have eight players for the five offensive line positions: LT, LGG, C, RG, and RT. If a team doesn’t have the minimum of eight linemen active, will they go back to 46 active players? Here is the CBA’s explanation:

For the sake of clarity and avoidance of doubt, for any game for which a Club’s Active List includes fewer than eight Offensive Linemen, such Club’s Active List limit shall be forty-seven players. The Clubs may not reduce these limits for the duration of this Agreement; provided, however, that individual Clubs may carry fewer than forty-eight players on their Active List during the regular season or postseason, but no fewer than forty-four players.

The minimum number of active players is 44, according to the CBA. I doubt any team will willingly field fewer than 46 healthy players. I’d love to know how the CBA arrived at these specific numbers. Also, what their explanation behind having inactive players on the roster is.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Good point!

So Devin Smith still has a lock on the #3 WR position then?

Me, just like everyone else who isn't McCarthy, Jerry or Stephen have no idea at this time. One thing is I put extremely little stock in the speculations of sportswriters who have a very long history of being wrong.

Rayman70

Reaction score
First next time you might want to reply to the comment that speaks to what you're talking about. This comment was about keeping 4 QB's. Second I was just pointing out that your notion really didn't apply to what you were saying. That teams don't have to cut players ahead of signing free agents and can do it at the same time they sign the free agent. BTW 10 other teams have released players between yesterday and today. Maybe all of them are thinking about signing Thomas too. I commend you for thinking about and wondering about the cuts but like the other teams they just knew they didn't want those players for their 53 man roster. Don't stop thinking there are to many here that don't.
iu
I AM JUST JOKING MAN. Couldn't resist.