RELEASED Redmond and Thorson released

Rayman70

Reaction score
You do realize he's already been cut, right?
iu
My ode to King of the Hill.

Reactions: BAT

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Noah Brown experiment goes on. I don't get it, but whatever.
yep, somewhere Bryan Broaddus and Mike Fisher are doing titty twisters. For the love of Tom Landry...I don't get the love affair the team/media has with Noah Brown. What are we all missin guys?
iu
iu

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It appears the offensive lineman clause concerns the active roster not the 55:

Earlier this week, during our 53-man roster projection, there was some confusion about roster sizes, game day active rosters, the practice squad size, and the game-day inactive list. So I’ll cite some of the CBA changes and do my best to clear up any confusion. Let’s start with the game day active roster. Here is the CBA’s language:

Beginning with the 2020 regular season, the Active List limit shall be increased from forty-six players per Club to forty-eight players per Club; provided, however, that such a Club’s Active List includes a minimum of eight players whose primary playing position is Center, Guard or Tackle (collectively, “Offensive Lineman”).

Interpretation: As long as the team has eight or more linemen that are active, they’re allowed to have 48 roster spots instead of 46, which was the maximum number of active gameday players under the previous CBA. Teams need to have eight players for the five offensive line positions: LT, LGG, C, RG, and RT. If a team doesn’t have the minimum of eight linemen active, will they go back to 46 active players? Here is the CBA’s explanation:

For the sake of clarity and avoidance of doubt, for any game for which a Club’s Active List includes fewer than eight Offensive Linemen, such Club’s Active List limit shall be forty-seven players. The Clubs may not reduce these limits for the duration of this Agreement; provided, however, that individual Clubs may carry fewer than forty-eight players on their Active List during the regular season or postseason, but no fewer than forty-four players.

The minimum number of active players is 44, according to the CBA. I doubt any team will willingly field fewer than 46 healthy players. I’d love to know how the CBA arrived at these specific numbers. Also, what their explanation behind having inactive players on the roster is.

What you said here is probably correct but that wasn't what you responded to in the comment I replied to. You replied about calling up players from the practice squad and I'll quote you. "on the practice squad, since I believe one of the players you can call up to the 55 has to be a lineman." Now you now admitted that it's not the practice squad that has the limitation so to put any of this in bold is a head scratcher.

The way they got to those numbers is called negotiations. The players want as many players as possible getting paid. There was a time when the roster size limit was 35 and 38. That was until the NFL and the AFL merged and the roster limit size was raised to 40 and then later to 47 and replaced what was called the taxi squad with no limitations to the practice squad with limitations.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Redmond sucked, without injuries he never would have spent a day on the active roster.

Surprised on Smith, I really thought he was going to complete for the 4th WR spot. But they are likely releasing him early to give him time to catch on with another team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Redmond sucked, without injuries he never would have spent a day on the active roster.

Surprised on Smith, I really thought he was going to complete for the 4th WR spot. But they are likely releasing him early to give him time to catch on with another team.

Or slides by so they can put him on the practice squad with the extended players this season.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
yep, somewhere Bryan Broaddus and Mike Fisher are doing titty twisters. For the love of Tom Landry...I don't get the love affair the team/media has with Noah Brown. What are we all missin guys?
iu
iu
Common sense? The ability to evaluate players?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems weird after he was formally introduced as the #3 WR this offseason.

So strange.

Once you’re low enough in the order that you’re not playing offense, it’s ST. We had some threads early in the offseason about it, but the reality is, Smith gives very little in Teams, and guys like Noah Brown and Ventell Bryant are much better suited for those WR4-5 roles.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Or slides by so they can put him on the practice squad with the extended players this season.

That wouldn't be a bad fit since he knows the system and wouldn't count against the roster. Redmond has been on a Practice Squad or Injured Reserve every year since 2016, so maybe the 5th time is the charm!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The Cowboys signed Erving to be the backup OT.

Redmond was an interior backup.

Erving does have experience at OC and OG but that's not why they signed him.

Erving is a mediocre OT.

And Redmond was supposed to be versatile too.

But Cowboys season will not hinge on either player.