Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Catch-22;1282890 said:
So basically the Fan Zone is 'Extremeskins Lite',

Oh, so the "what uniforms are we wearing this week?" and "Tony Romo is the CHOSEN ONE" threads go in the "Fan Zone" and the others go in the "Daily Zone"?

Well, why didn't someone just say so?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
It is much more easier to use the way it is now instead of Forum jumping, Just my opinion.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1282984 said:
I don't care about changes, I care about convenience. And to me, it's much more convenient to keep checking one forum than it is to keep checking two.
Agreed. This new version is horribly inconvenient.

The inconvenience is a serious problem. As superpunk has mentioned, he hasn't even left the "main forum" to visit the other forum. I haven't done that much either. It's inconvenient. What does that do? It dilutes the discussion. Some people may post something worthwhile in the other forum and many people will never notice it. Thus, the quality of this forum goes down. In fact, all of the "quality threads" end up being moved to the forum which no one visits -- making this forum even worse!

Wow, talk about bassackwards.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1283146 said:
It is much more easier to use the way it is now instead of Forum jumping, Just my opinion.
But before the change I never did any forum jumping. Now it requires forum jumping? How does that make it easier now?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
theogt;1283153 said:
But before the change I never did any forum jumping. Now it requires forum jumping? How does that make it easier now?

Is that a trick question?

:laugh2:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
crybaby.png

;)

BlueDemon

Benched
Reaction score
I've just been informed that my"No Backwards Caps/Hats allowed Zone "will debut very soon.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
If you bring in "that forum" as the #1 forum, I will end my membership immediately. That "forum" is nothing but a cancer and I will not take any part in having "that forum" brought in here to create negativity within this message board and divide all its posters. It will be nothing more than a self absorbed, electronic big mouth full of "me, me, me," posts. If this indeed happens, I will never talk cowboys again, with anybody, at any time. I will cease and desist in being a fan. Who's with me? This is my last post.
Good bye and farewell,

Nathan.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
theogt;1283148 said:
Agreed. This new version is horribly inconvenient.

The inconvenience is a serious problem. As superpunk has mentioned, he hasn't even left the "main forum" to visit the other forum. I haven't done that much either. It's inconvenient. What does that do? It dilutes the discussion. Some people may post something worthwhile in the other forum and many people will never notice it. Thus, the quality of this forum goes down. In fact, all of the "quality threads" end up being moved to the forum which no one visits -- making this forum even worse!

Wow, talk about bassackwards.

:hammer:

This isn't really about not wanting change...it's a question of has this change made the forum better?

I say No.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes changes come with the growth of a site.
Sometimes those changes take some time before the work out or get to be a normal smooth operation. Sometimes they have to go through some different changes before it gets to the final setup.

Here is a situation where the site grows and you have many good articles, recaps or threads that get off the the first few pages only because somebody has a troll like need to do some chest thumping and call out everyone that does not happen to agree with their takes.

For example...All you TO HATERS...blah blah blah.

Or...You bunch of Crybabies and so on.

Part of the human nature on the forum makes it so those threads get the most replies from either those agreeing with one side, those that disagree with it, or those that really don't care but just want to have a little fun.

While there is nothing really wrong with that as long as it stays within guidelines, we all have our opinions, it also takes away from good articles, recaps, good thought out threads and the like.

How many times have you seen someone take time out to write out a good thread, one that you know has taken some time and research, only to see it bumped off the first few pages because the TO lovers or haters decide they have to let the other side know they want to thump their chests. Or how many times in the past have we seen those QC/Hutch (or insert QB names) threads?

Some would be surprised by the number of posters that contact the mods here saying they only have a few minutes out of the day to come here and find relevant cowboy news or quality threads but have to wade through a bunch of those other types of threads where people are just thumping their chests or trying to get a rise out of others.

This is the best of both worlds. We will still have a section where those opinionated threads will still be up (as long as they are within guidelines) and another section where the relevant cowboys news threads will be.

So if you find yourself as a person that just wants to read the latest cowboys news, or the latest recaps and so on, you can go to that section and not have to worry about wading through opinionated TO or Zimmer threads.

If you find yourself as a person that likes the opinionated threads and have fun debating topics than you will have that section as well.

If you like both than you can visit both. Now Reality has already stated he will look into providing some links so it will be easier to switch between the forums.

Remember this is a work in progress. Any constructive suggestions in this thread will be considered, it may not mean they will work out the way an individual will want it to, but they will be considered.

Just remember this is a work in progress, and although change may be a pain to begin with, try giving it some time to work out the bugs and get used to the change.

I remember when I first found a football message board. Sadly it was on the sportstalk.com site in it's original form. The message board was just one continual thread. Many topics going on at the same time but just one long thread. It was hard to keep track of things.

However that was what I grew to get used to.
When that forum closed down I went to the DMN forums. It was closer to what is considered a regular message board. However when I first got there I hated the format. It was a better format, but it was just so different than what I was used to.

Now if I found another message board like the original one I was on (with one continual thread) it drives me crazy. Take for instance the threads on fark.com. It is ok if there are only a few replies but after so many it is just crazy to try and read through the thread with just one long thread.

So Please give it some time, make constructive suggestions and see if things can work out in the end.

:cool:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seven;1283209 said:
If you bring in "that forum" as the #1 forum, I will end my membership immediately. That "forum" is nothing but a cancer and I will not take any part in having "that forum" brought in here to create negativity within this message board and divide all its posters. It will be nothing more than a self absorbed, electronic big mouth full of "me, me, me," posts. If this indeed happens, I will never talk cowboys again, with anybody, at any time. I will cease and desist in being a fan. Who's with me? This is my last post.
Good bye and farewell,

Nathan.

:lmao2: :laugh2: :bow:

I was reading that and thinking...man this guy has flipped his wig...then I read your sign off name and got the joke.

Seven

Reaction score
Personally, I say lets run with it and deal with a couple extra mouse clicks.
No biggie, right?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BP, what do you think about this?

Problem: Quality threads go unnoticed because they get buried.

Solution: Create a Zone in which only the "quality threads" can be accessed. However, do not take those threads out of the "main forum."

The problem with having all of the quality threads in a separate zone is that no one goes to it, because it's an inconvenience to flip back and forth. The other zone gets about a post every 15 minutes or so. When you take away the "quality threads" from this zone and place them in a zone this isn't frequented as much, you lessen the quality of this zone and increase the quality of a zone that isn't visited.

Thoughts?

Seven

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1283243 said:
:lmao2: :laugh2: :bow:

I was reading that and thinking...man this guy has flipped his wig...then I read your sign off name and got the joke.

I'm waiting for the fellas who don't know or won't read the whole thing. This could be interesting...... I won't turn this into a war of words, I promise.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;1283247 said:
Personally, I say lets run with it and deal with a couple extra mouse clicks.
No biggie, right?
If it isn't a big deal, how come very few people actually post in the other zone? If it's so easy to click back and forth, wouldn't both zones have equal posting?

Because it's an inconvenience, one of the two forums will end up getting the majority of the posts and the other will go virtually unread.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I think you missed the boat...There is alot of good information and dissusions go on with most threads... The site.. AS IS... brings a lot of versatilty and thats what makes it unique and addiciting...breaking it down to haves and have nots simplifies it for a few.....The site is growing due to great disscussion and ease at which we ALL can talk Cowboys....

you have a good a thing going.. DONT fix it..If its not BROKEN.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I have a question and I apologize ahead of time if it has already been asked.

Earlier I read people express being upset that they now have to look at two forums. how about making it easier to switch between the two by putting a quick link to Daily at the top of Fan and vice versa? (since they're going to be the two most often visited forums) That way instead of having to click "Cowboys Forums" to click the other forum you save one click.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1283278 said:
I have a question and I apologize ahead of time if it has already been asked.

Earlier I read people express being upset that they now have to look at two forums. how about making it easier to switch between the two by putting a quick link to Daily at the top of Fan and vice versa? (since they're going to be the two most often visited forums) That way instead of having to click "Cowboys Forums" to click the other forum you save one click.
It was mentioned earlier and Reality said he's looking into it.

Seven

Reaction score
theogt;1283256 said:
If it isn't a big deal, how come very few people actually post in the other zone? If it's so easy to click back and forth, wouldn't both zones have equal posting?

Because it's an inconvenience, one of the two forums will end up getting the majority of the posts and the other will go virtually unread.

It isn't. We're talking about a point and click. IF they're interested they will.
One or the other forums will always be the Big Daddy. Comes with the territory. Comes with what it is you want to read at any given time in any given frame of mind. No possible way to absorb all that in a single forum for thousands of readers/posters. If there ever was a good example of things happen for a reason, MB forums are the appitomy of that.
An inconvenience for me is dial-up, or having to walk to work. I'm not trying to debate you theo, I honsetly don't see a problem with a simple mouse movement. The confusion part lies within the staff. Deciding what goes where. We'll eventually get it and follow like sheep. :)

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
theogt;1283250 said:
BP, what do you think about this?

Problem: Quality threads go unnoticed because they get buried.

Solution: Create a Zone in which only the "quality threads" can be accessed. However, do not take those threads out of the "main forum."

The problem with having all of the quality threads in a separate zone is that no one goes to it, because it's an inconvenience to flip back and forth. The other zone gets about a post every 15 minutes or so. When you take away the "quality threads" from this zone and place them in a zone this isn't frequented as much, you lessen the quality of this zone and increase the quality of a zone that isn't visited.

Thoughts?

That's a Great idea.

That way if people REALLY only want to read "Quality Threads" then they can and people who could care less could just stay on one forum and it's the best of both worlds.

Basically what we have now...Just don't take the threads off the main forum.