Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
The changes that are being made will simplify the forum structure and make it much easier for users to figure out where threads are located and are to be posted.

The majority of threads posted will either be in the "Fan Zone" or the "Daily Zone"..........There no longer will be 3 pages and then it is moved.

You simply keep paging back to you find it.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
theogt;1282778 said:
This is the problem. Some people may like some things. Others do not. The best solution? Don't move things unless it's obvious trolling. Less regulation is good. The Romo thread had some good discussion among some regular posters. It wasn't a bunch of troll material in there.

Maybe it's just the inner libertarian in me screaming out. That and not liking clicking back and forth between two zones to get information.

The main problem is this: People complained about not being able to find information. The solution made it much tougher for people to find information (having to click back and forth intead of being in one forum).

:laugh2:

True.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Reality;1282771 said:
The biggest problem is that most users here are used to a "one-forum" site. Sites with the traffic and more importantly the significant number of posts that are made each day like CZ has rarely have one single forum as the main focus.

On smaller sites, this works because the total threads created or bumped each day are a lot lower in number. Leaving those sites for several hours and returning later is not a big deal because at worst you have to scan two pages of threads.

Just 3 days ago we had over 300 new threads created in a single day. Just to give you can idea that is 24 pages of threads.

The new changes will mean threads won't be moved to the Opinion Zone, Article Zone, etc. after page 3. Threads still stay in the main two forums for 2-4 weeks on average which means no easter egg hunts for lost or missed threads.

The new structure makes it much easier for users who can't spend all day on the site and for diehard users who never leave the site to continue discussions for longer periods of time.

-Reality

good technical point, reality. my own forum won't see 10 new threads a day so i didn't think about it that way.

it'll take some getting used to but we will.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
superpunk;1282786 said:
Gameday, baby. :laugh1:

If you have a thought - post a thread.:D

that's the other part. some people need their name in lights and not just "part of a convo".

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1282512 said:
Have you not took notice as to the number of quality threads I start in a single day? I get no love in this place.:(

I love you, Dave.

And I guess you know why. :laugh2:

Catch-22

Reaction score
I'd just keep everything in the main forum, if it drops to page 24 or whatever, leave it there.

People should be able to use search function or the 'view my posts' feature. Multiple forums is an overly complex solution when people could just use the search tools.

superpunk

Reaction score
iceberg;1282799 said:
that's the other part. some people need their name in lights and not just "part of a convo".

It's got to be hell for the mods.

Roy misses an INT - the "Roy needs a biscuit" threads pop up 5 at a time, during the game - when the same thing could have been said in the gameday thread.

They could probably take away thread-making privilkeges from these geniuses, but that's more Big brother action.....more resistance.....more whining. There's no great solution, I'd imagine.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea Reality.

Some troll starts a thread. Mods see it as a negative worthless post and move it to opinion. The same troll or someone with a similar plan starts the exact thread. Over and over this goes.

I like the idea of moving good, quality threads to a page that they may sit for days before being bumped to page 2.

How many 'Parcells must go' threads do we need? How many 'Barber should be starting' or completely different 'Julius should be benched' threads do we need? Yet, a few posts that talk about the injured corners for Seattle gets pushed to page 3 and people wonder why we never talked about it.

Give it a few days and people will come around. Just open two windows, one for the fan zone that you can troll and one for the important newsworthy stuff.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't see what the big deal is...

There are two forums, instead of twenty or whatever that was! That, I did not like, at all...

Now, if it's to inconvient to just click one mouse button to go to the other forum, wow...that's too bad...that's a lot of work!

I read the threads I like, and if I want to make sure that several hours later I come back to read what happened, then I just make a reply to that thread...then when I come back, I just find "all post by 5Stars" and I can find it...I don't care if they moved it to China...I can find the ones that I AM interested...

It's really no big deal for us users if you think about it...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
superpunk;1282812 said:
It's got to be hell for the mods.

Roy misses an INT - the "Roy needs a biscuit" threads pop up 5 at a time, during the game - when the same thing could have been said in the gameday thread.

They could probably take away thread-making privilkeges from these geniuses, but that's more Big brother action.....more resistance.....more whining. There's no great solution, I'd imagine.

not that i've ever seen. we can all get to a "bad point" at times so when *would* you eventually draw a line? i think the only real answer i know is be a part of 2 different types of forums - a fast paced one and a much slower one where it's more "family" so the "cousin dumbarse" people just don't come through.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most people hate change .. I know I do. The moderators can even attest to that considering how long we've been discussing this and how long it took me to implement it even after we figured out the final changes.

The site has grown in popularity and along with an increase of good threads it also means an increase in "other types" of threads. These changes were necessary without a doubt.

Look at this way, I created the old concept/system with "The Zone" forum along with the Opinion Zone, Article Zone, etc. and the concept of moving threads after page 3. The new changes being implemented were created, discussed thoroughly and decided on by every single moderator. Many heads being better than one ...

-Reality

superpunk

Reaction score
Reality;1282832 said:
Look at this way, I created the old concept/system with "The Zone" forum along with the Opinion Zone, Article Zone, etc. and the concept of moving threads after page 3. The changes being implemented were created, discussed thoroughly and decided on by every single moderator. Many heads being better than one ...

-Reality

Of course, this is Juke, Yeag, and Brainpaint we're talking about, as part of the many heads.

I don't see how that's better than one of anything. :D:D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Reality;1282832 said:
Most people hate change .. I know I do. The moderators can even attest to that considering how long we've been discussing this and how long it took me to implement it even after we figured out the final changes.

The site has grown in popularity and along with an increase of good threads it also means an increase in "other types" of threads. These changes were necessary without a doubt.

Look at this way, I created the old concept/system with "The Zone" forum along with the Opinion Zone, Article Zone, etc. and the concept of moving threads after page 3. The changes being implemented were created, discussed thoroughly and decided on by every single moderator. Many heads being better than one ...

-Reality

ok, i think i'm getting it. the mods just have to make a call as to what they feel is "good" discussion and not just a TO rampage. if you trust the mods judgement you can get the bulk of what you're after in the daily zone.

if you want to rant and rave (as we all do at times) there's the general store forum that's more or less out of control.

i'm slow sometimes, but it's a bright light when it comes on. : )

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
With all due respect, I visit several boards a day, on several topics (not just Cowboys).

A lot of them are just as, if not more, heavilly trafficked than this forum. Yet, none of them employ the dual zone approach.

Why not just increase the number of displayed threads before the page splits?

I think if were to poll the members, the vast majority would be against the dual zones.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;1282854 said:
With all due respect, I visit several boards a day, on several topics (not just Cowboys).

A lot of them are just as, if not more, heavilly trafficked than this forum. Yet, none of them employ the dual zone approach.

I think if were to poll the members, the vast majority would be against the dual zones.

cause they're trying to control chaos, or at least see if they can. i find that worth the effort and proud of myself if my threads in up in the daily zone. :)

FolsomCowboy

Reaction score
How does one's thread get deemed "worthy"? Seems a little open to interpretation and bad feelings.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HoleInTheRoof;1282854 said:

.. or perhaps you only use one of the forums on those sites ..

The changes have been explained many times ..

-Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1282860 said:
cause they're trying to control chaos, or at least see if they can. i find that worth the effort and proud of myself if my threads in up in the daily zone. :)
.. nice find :)

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
pbthal;1282861 said:
How does one's thread get deemed "worthy"? Seems a little open to interpretation and bad feelings.

The Daily Forum:

The main reason for the Daily Zone is to highlight the more important and relevant threads related to the Cowboys so users who can't spend all day on the site can at any time visit the site and catch up on the latest news and other information without having to go through a ton of threads trying to figure out which are news and which are opinions.

Such as:
Strictly Cowboy’s news focused
Articles
Cap questions & answers
Breaking News