Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;1283285 said:
It isn't. We're talking about a point and click. IF they're interested they will.
One or the other forums will always be the Big Daddy. Comes with the territory. Comes with what it is you want to read at any given time in any given frame of mind. No possible way to absorb all that in a single forum for thousands of readers/posters. If there ever was a good example of things happen for a reason, MB forums are the appitomy of that.
An inconvenience for me is dial-up, or having to walk to work. I'm not trying to debate you theo, I honsetly don't see a problem with a simple mouse movement. The confusion part lies within the staff. Deciding what goes where. We'll eventually get it and follow like sheep. :)
Sorry, I don't see the good in having all of the "quality threads" in a zone in which very few people read. Very few people read that forum because it's inconvenient to click back and forth. You can say "it's only a click away" all you want, but it's inconvenient -- this much is evidenced by the significant lower traffic.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1283250 said:
BP, what do you think about this?

Problem: Quality threads go unnoticed because they get buried.

Solution: Create a Zone in which only the "quality threads" can be accessed. However, do not take those threads out of the "main forum."

The problem with having all of the quality threads in a separate zone is that no one goes to it, because it's an inconvenience to flip back and forth. The other zone gets about a post every 15 minutes or so. When you take away the "quality threads" from this zone and place them in a zone this isn't frequented as much, you lessen the quality of this zone and increase the quality of a zone that isn't visited.

Thoughts?

Thoughts...my contrary and blunt nature would be to ask...why is it so hard to click a mouse once or twice to switch? This point coming from the guy (talking about myself so there is no mistake or misunderstanding) that will walk around the living room looking for the remote for 10 minutes instead of just walking to the tv and switching the channel.
Point is sometimes we become a little too spoiled IMO where a simple idea of clicking a button once or twice seems like an unachievable goal or terrible inconvenience that should never be considered. Almost offending that one would be required to make a click here or there.

Or one could say...the other zone with the good news STILL allows users to post comments in the threads, they just can not start individual threads.

So, you may wish to talk about TO, if one of the existing articles or threads are in that zone, you can go into that particular thread and bring up various points in a post.

The lessening the quality of one zone or the other is a point that could be viewed in different ways IMO.

One person may find the opinionated threads people start as lessening the site and they only want to see cowboys news or good thought provoking threads. Another person may be the opposite and want to only dive into debates and love a good argument. Some like both.

Why should someone who only has limited time to view one or the other have to wade through those threads they don't want to read about just trying to find cowboys news? Would that inconvenience be as important to you or less important to you than just clicking a mouse?

It is not like one view is being completely outlawed. They both are still there, just in different sections.

The problem as I see it is the idea of the change itself, and also the idea that having to click a mouse one or twice is such a burden in todays simplistic approach to some things.

You suggest creating a zone where only Quality threads are accessed...but you fail to realize that in many ways that is exactly what is being done. The problem you may have understanding is what may be quality to you, may not be to others.

As I said, some may view the quality threads as being Cowboys Related articles and Recaps...they may believe that all the other threads about peoples opinions or troll like threads are just pure drivel.

Others may view those opinionated threads the best thing since sliced bread, they would rather jump in an debate or argue points instead of reading articles by some writers they never liked anyways.

It is subjective..but by splitting this up we hope to give each person the ability to chose which they like or in which order they want to view them.

If a person likes both they can start in one zone, look and see if there is any new articles or breaking news...read through and comment on some. When they feel they have got the gist of the days news they can move into the other section and jump into a debate about TO lovers/haters or the anti-zimmer thread and so on.

There are choices there for each. Don't let a little change and a mouse click or two be change you refuse or just don't want to give a try.

Ok...I am rambling too much, really getting sleepy.:cool:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1283293 said:
Thoughts...my contrary and blunt nature would be to ask...why is it so hard to click a mouse once or twice to switch? This point coming from the guy (talking about myself so there is no mistake or misunderstanding) that will walk around the living room looking for the remote for 10 minutes instead of just walking to the tv and switching the channel.
Point is sometimes we become a little too spoiled IMO where a simple idea of clicking a button once or twice seems like an unachievable goal or terrible inconvenience that should never be considered. Almost offending that one would be required to make a click here or there.

Or one could say...the other zone with the good news STILL allows users to post comments in the threads, they just can not start individual threads.

So, you may wish to talk about TO, if one of the existing articles or threads are in that zone, you can go into that particular thread and bring up various points in a post.

The lessening the quality of one zone or the other is a point that could be viewed in different ways IMO.

One person may find the opinionated threads people start as lessening the site and they only want to see cowboys news or good thought provoking threads. Another person may be the opposite and want to only dive into debates and love a good argument. Some like both.

Why should someone who only has limited time to view one or the other have to wade through those threads they don't want to read about just trying to find cowboys news? Would that inconvenience be as important to you or less important to you than just clicking a mouse?

It is not like one view is being completely outlawed. They both are still there, just in different sections.

The problem as I see it is the idea of the change itself, and also the idea that having to click a mouse one or twice is such a burden in todays simplistic approach to some things.

You suggest creating a zone where only Quality threads are accessed...but you fail to realize that in many ways that is exactly what is being done. The problem you may have understanding is what may be quality to you, may not be to others.

As I said, some may view the quality threads as being Cowboys Related articles and Recaps...they may believe that all the other threads about peoples opinions or troll like threads are just pure drivel.

Others may view those opinionated threads the best thing since sliced bread, they would rather jump in an debate or argue points instead of reading articles by some writers they never liked anyways.

It is subjective..but by splitting this up we hope to give each person the ability to chose which they like or in which order they want to view them.

If a person likes both they can start in one zone, look and see if there is any new articles or breaking news...read through and comment on some. When they feel they have got the gist of the days news they can move into the other section and jump into a debate about TO lovers/haters or the anti-zimmer thread and so on.

There are choices there for each. Don't let a little change and a mouse click or two be change you refuse or just don't want to give a try.

Well why not do as he says...Move whatever threads you think are Quality to the Daily Zone...But leave them also on the Main forum?

That way as I said before if people REALLY only want to read quality threads they can and people who want to stay on one forum can.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
its like checking out another site......keep the versatility... it works AS IS...

The KISS approach works,

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1283293 said:

I am totally :confused:. And getting a head ache.:banghead: I hope you know your not dealing with the sharpest knives in the drawer here on this forum.

Let me know when you get the kinks out.:eek::

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While this is a work in progress and we may continue to make adjustments to it, we will not be going back to the old system because it had a lot of problems and we received a lot more complaints about it than most people know.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1283293 said:
Point is sometimes we become a little to spoiled IMO where a simple idea of clicking a button once or twice seems like an unachievable goal or terrible inconvenience that should never be considered. Almost offending that one would be required to make a click here or there.
Whether it's should be inconvenient or not is not the issue. The fact is that it is. This is evidenced by the lack of traffic.

Here's the problem. The traffic in the "quality zone" is minimal. One post every 20 minutes or so. No one goes there. Everyone stays in the "opinion zone." Basically the entire site has become one entire opinion zone. Yes, the "quality threads" are available, but no one goes there. Why? Because it's inconvenient.

No. People have said time and time again that it isn't change itself is the problem, it's that the change has a negative effect on the forum.

That is not what is being done. Adam posted a cap thread. Very high quality stuff. I didn't notice it until I actually took the time to go to the other zone. I'm sure there are many people that haven't noticed it. Why? Because they dont' go there. Why? Because it's inconvenient. What does that do to this site? It lowers the quality.

Others may view those opinionated threads the best thing since sliced butter, they would rather jump in an debate or argue points instead of reading articles by some writers they never liked anyways.

All of this can be solved easily. Keep all of the threads in one forum. When there is a quality thread posted, keep it in the "main forum" but also allow access to it in the "quality zone." As it is, people have to go back and forth.

With the solution I just stated, people who wanted both products wouldn't be inconvenienced. People that only wanted "quality threads" wouldn't be inconvenienced as well. The only people that would be inconvenienced would be those who only want the opinion threads, but no "quality threads." Are there really any people like that?

In summary, there are 3 types of posters. (1) Those who want only quality threads. (2) Those who want only opinion threads. (3) Those who want both.

The current method inconveniences those who want both (which is probably a substantial majority of posters). My proposed method inconveniences only those who want only opinion threads (but as I stated, I don't think those people even exist).

Thoughts?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;1283312 said:
While this is a work in progress and we may continue to make adjustments to it, we will not be going back to the old system because it had a lot of problems and we received a lot more complaints about it than most people know.
What about this? I propose having two zones.

Main Zone - This zone would includes all of the created threads, opinion and article alike. Everyone could go to this zone and see all of the relevant information posted.

Daily Zone - This zone would include all of the "quality threads" and would essentially be the "Daily Zone" is now.

Threads that are in the Daily Zone, however, would not be removed from the Main Zone. That way, people wouldn't have to switch back and forth to read all of the threads.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ConcordCowboy;1283307 said:
Well why not do as he says...Move whatever threads you think are Quality to the Daily Zone...But leave them also on the Main forum?

That way as I said before if people REALLY only want to read quality threads they can and people who want to stay on one forum can.

Because in essence what you are doing is leaving it as it was and not addressing the multiple problems that existed.

You would still have those threads in there getting pushed off the forum because of lesser threads...and those that just don't want to move between sections to get the threads will still not bother with doing it.

It is the one zone mentality that is trying to be changed.

It gives people the option of one, the other or both...but not all in one that was causing the problems.

If it was working so well with no problems, there would not have been discussions about changing it to begin with.

You or the other user may not see the problems before, while many others have had problems and let the mods know.

In the end I say give it a chance.

Someone once said...You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you will never make all of the people happy all of the time.

That is really true. But we will try to do what we think will work best for the site in the long term, not just the short term.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1283316 said:
Whether it's should be inconvenient or not is not the issue. The fact is that it is. This is evidenced by the lack of traffic.

Here's the problem. The traffic in the "quality zone" is minimal. One post every 20 minutes or so. No one goes there. Everyone stays in the "opinion zone." Basically the entire site has become one entire opinion zone. Yes, the "quality threads" are available, but no one goes there. Why? Because it's inconvenient.

Have a little patience .. the change was JUST made.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Reality;1283312 said:

WOW. it is what its....:bang2:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1283329 said:

Main Zone - This zone would includes all of the created threads, opinion and article alike. Everyone could go to this zone and see all of the relevant information posted.

Daily Zone - This zone would include all of the "quality threads" and would essentially be the "Daily Zone" is now.

Threads that are in the Daily Zone, however, would not be removed from the Main Zone. That way, people wouldn't have to switch back and forth to read all of the threads.
If threads aren't moved, how do they get into the Daily Zone? Sounds to me like you're just wanting one forum and are throwing out a second forum just for show.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;1283335 said:
Have a little patience .. the change was JUST made.
I know. I'm not being impatient. I'm just making suggestions. You guys want suggestions and I'm giving them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;1283341 said:
If threads aren't moved, how do they get into the Daily Zone? Sounds to me like you're just wanting one forum and are throwing out a second forum just for show.
I don't know how you would do it with the code. I'm not a programmer. I don't know why you want two different forums, though. It's a pain in the arse to click back and forth.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the two forum system doesn't work, then the next option would be to remove the Fan Zone and split it into 4-5 main forums so there is no "main" forum. Personally, I like the two-forum concept better though.

While you cannot please everyone no matter what you do, the current system is the best solution overall. There are two forums .. one with the news and important Cowboys information and one for everything else basically. Of course there are other forums but those are the main two.

I will get links added that will make switching between those two forums easier.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1283344 said:
I don't know why you want two different forums
This has been explained several times by me and other moderators in this thread.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;1283347 said:
If the two forum system doesn't work, then the next option would be to remove the Fan Zone and split it into 4-5 main forums so there is no "main" forum. Personally, I like the two-forum concept better though.

While you cannot please everyone no matter what you do, the current system is the best solution overall. There are two forums .. one with the news and important Cowboys information and one for everything else basically. Of course there are other forums but those are the main two.

I will get links added that will make switching between those two forums easier.
Ok. So basically you've decided this is the best option and no suggestions are really necessary. Just wanted to clarify.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I thought when you created a thread... you picked were you wanted to post it...not dictated by someone else, quality or not. If you got a quality thread put it were you think it belongs....whos picking whats right and whats wrong...?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1283329 said:

Sorry...it appears you are going to find it inconvenient and have your mind set before giving it a long enough chance.

As I said in a previous post, you can make some of the people happy some of the time but you will not make all of the people happy all of the time.

Funny thing is we tried something similar to what you suggested, but because of the mentality that it is too hard to click a mouse button people did not go there...it was called the zone of fame, the recap zone, the opinion zone and so on.

This will actually limit that to lesser zones as time goes on.

What is clear at this time, as Reality has said, we are not going back to the old way of having everything in one zone. If this causes a few people to leave I hate that, but at the same time we have already lost what I consider quality posters, from their own words, because they are tired of wading through the way it was before.

So, I ask you to give it a chance, give it some time and let us work out the bugs.

Either you will or you will not...that really is your choice.