Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Alexander;1282678 said:
You have threads started this morning that are now there.

And some very timely such as Mosely's press conference updates that are posted there.

It is confusing IMO.

I'm sorry I misread your reply to me.

I thought you were saying I was a bit too quick on the trigger for my comments.

I agree with you.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TEK2000;1282679 said:
I'm not one to complain about how other people run THEIR site. I respect the owners/admins of this site as I do any other, but I'm curious to know why there was a change.

I mean, in my mind, the main forum was only 3 pages to begin with. If a thread fell past the 3rd page is was categorized and moved into the appropriate forum. In that case, if someone missed viewing the forum for a day or 2, they could just easily and quickly skim through the thread titles of 3 pages to find a discussion they'd want to read about. And, if they so choose, could then go into the Opinion Zone or Article Zone and followup with whatever fell past the 3rd page.

If you're really wanting to see all of the most recent/active threads.. just click "New Posts" on the navigation bar under the main banner.
The changes were made for several reasons ..

When threads got moved after dropping past page 3, where did they get moved to? No idea .. so basically, after a thread got moved out of the zone, it was for the most part dead because once it gets moved, most users no longer see it and even those interested in it may forget about it or give up trying to find it.

Which threads get the most replies usually? The most controversial threads .. troll threads .. flavor of the hour threads, etc. You can't judge a thread by how many replies it has. There were a ton of really good threads that just weren't the type of threads to warrant replies. Those threads were forever doomed to some other forum so that "Roy Williams can't catch a cold" threads could stay in the main forum for days.

A lot of users have been complaining to several of the moderators lately about having a hard time finding the important Cowboys related news, discussions, etc. along with previous discussions they were participating in because they can't check the site every hour like some of us can.

There are many more reasons for this change but the overall results will definitely be much better than what we had.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1282681 said:
If it doesn't work (we'll see - I suspect the separate zone where all the Cowboys stuff goes might become like the Opinion Zone, NFL Zone, or Zone of Fame - where threads go to die) it will just be changed again and we'll ***** about that, lol.

We'll see. :D
I kinda liked it the old way. In fact I was downright addicted to it.

Now, if they could fix the troll problem....

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1282644 said:
I've never really understood the whole getting pushed off the main page thing.

No matter what page it's on if it's a good and interesting or informative topic or thread it will make it's way back on the first page.

I don't like having to click back and forth between forums just to get Cowboys news or articles.

cowboyszone has a main page? when i type in cowboys.com it brings me straight here

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
LatinMind;1282722 said:
cowboyszone has a main page? when i type in cowboys.com it brings me straight here

I'm talking about threads getting pushed to page 2 or 3.

Someone will find a good thread post in it and it will get back on the main page ( page 1 ).

silver

Reaction score
Reality;1282719 said:

When threads got moved after dropping past page 3, where did they get moved to? No idea .. so basically, after a thread got moved out of the zone, it was for the most part dead because once it gets moved, most users no longer see it and even those interested in it may forget about it or give up trying to find it.

Which threads get the most replies usually? The most controversial threads .. troll threads .. flavor of the hour threads, etc. You can't judge a thread by how many replies it has. There were a ton of really good threads that just weren't the type of threads to warrant replies. Those threads were forever doomed to some other forum so that "Roy Williams can't catch a cold" threads could stay in the main forum for days.

A lot of users have been complaining to several of the moderators lately about having a hard time finding the important Cowboys related news, discussions, etc. along with previous discussions they were participating in because they can't check the site every hour like some of us can.

There are many more reasons for this change but the overall results will definitely be much better than what we had.
fair enough. so where are troll threads now? so that i can skip those.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Reality;1282719 said:

Why couldn't you guys as moderators just move the threads that you perceived as unworthy to another forum. I mean, I would have no problem with that at all. At least, I would know where they have gone and if worthless I would not care. This way it seems there is no rhyme or reason to being in one or the other.

superpunk

Reaction score
Catch-22;1282714 said:
Allow more threads to be displayed on page 1, increase the number of posts per page in threads from 15 to 25.

This is all standard for larger boards like this one is becoming.

I'd also set a 150 pixel max height for all sigs, but that's just me

I think both of these are great ideas.

Also, I'd suuport castration for any and ALL posters who quote an ENTIRE article only to write "Good article. I agree completely" afterwards.

Castration, baby.

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;1282719 said:

When I want to find a previous thread I had participated in, I just usually click on my name and go to "find more posts by this user".

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1282739 said:
Why couldn't you guys as moderators just move the threads that you perceived as unworthy to another forum. I mean, I would have no problem with that at all. At least, I would know where they have gone and if worthless I would not care. This way it seems there is no rhyme or reason to being in one or the other.
Can you imagine the Big Brother - complaining about my "awesome" thread being moved too soon - repression of speech crap they'd have tod eal with then? It would be anarchy, I tell you....anarchy.....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheSkaven;1282622 said:
I think their goal is to make things more concise, because new threads often get pushed off the main page because so many people are replying to the existing threads.

Just to throw my $0.02 in, though, I don't really like it. I just don't see myself scanning multiple forums, so I'll probably be here and miss the good threads that get moved. Oh well.

I'd much rather just page through an existing forum. After all, it identifies which posts are new.

i hate the moving of the thread. the problem is where does it get moved to? what's opinion to me could be "other" to mod - i won't even know where to go look now.

like i've always said and felt, more rules/more processes only results in more confusion.

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1282740 said:
I think both of these are great ideas.

Also, I'd suuport castration for any and ALL posters who quote an ENTIRE article only to write "Good article. I agree completely" afterwards.

Castration, baby.

Poor CrazyCowboy. He'd have something in common with Gibbs, they'd both be known as "High Pitch"

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1282746 said:
Can you imagine the Big Brother - complaining about my "awesome" thread being moved too soon - repression of speech crap they'd have tod eal with then? It would be anarchy, I tell you....anarchy.....
They already did it to some extent with the Opinion Zone.

What's going on now seems a bit more arbitrary and a lot less organized. Oh and much less convenient.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
VA Cowboy;1282743 said:
When I want to find a previous thread I had participated in, I just usually click on my name and go to "find more posts by this user".

That's what I do as well.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Just like this "trade Romo" thread. I have not even opened it up because it is so ludicrous.

I would have moved that stupid thing off in about 2 minutes!:bang2:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest problem is that most users here are used to a "one-forum" site. Sites with the traffic and more importantly the significant number of posts that are made each day like CZ has rarely have one single forum as the main focus.

On smaller sites, this works because the total threads created or bumped each day are a lot lower in number. Leaving those sites for several hours and returning later is not a big deal because at worst you have to scan two pages of threads.

Just 3 days ago we had over 300 new threads created in a single day. Just to give you an idea that is 24 pages of threads.

The new changes will mean threads won't be moved to the Opinion Zone, Article Zone, etc. after page 3. Threads still stay in the main two forums for 2-4 weeks on average which means no easter egg hunts for lost or missed threads.

The new structure makes it much easier for users who can't spend all day on the site and for diehard users who never leave the site to continue discussions for longer periods of time.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
aikemirv;1282761 said:
Just like this "trade Romo" thread. I have not even opened it up because it is so ludicrous.

I would have moved that stupid thing off in about 2 minutes!:bang2:
This is the problem. Some people may like some things. Others do not. The best solution? Don't move things unless it's obvious trolling. Less regulation is good. The Romo thread had some good discussion among some regular posters. It wasn't a bunch of troll material in there.

Maybe it's just the inner libertarian in me screaming out. That and not liking clicking back and forth between two zones to get information.

The main problem is this: People complained about not being able to find information. The solution made it much tougher for people to find information (having to click back and forth intead of being in one forum).

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1282755 said:

And lord do we hear it when someone doesn't like that their thread has been moved. That's why I don't create threads often. They're like children, you put in the work, you'd like people to comment on it, and have the chance. So I see why people complain - and I try to respond to the hard-work threads in a well-thought out manner, which is completely out of character for me. :D But if we had more arbitrary moving of threads created by mental midgets, the outcry would be deafening.

I think it's a tough road to hoe for site administrators, especially when a board gets big like this one. There's alot of intolerable posters, and you can't just shut them down. They're doing their best, I imagine, so I think we should probably do our best - if it's a success, whoopee. If not, I'm sure it'll change. But I think suggestion threads would be nice, so you could get killer suggestions like the max sig height and castration.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
theogt;1282755 said:

What's going on now seems a bit more arbitrary and a lot less organized. Oh and much less convenient.

that's a good way to put it. it's trying to organize mess and i'll grant that it can't be easy and it can't be fun. but why? was it really a problem to just have 20 pages in 1 forum and let the user just filter on their own given methods?

that's what i don't get.

superpunk

Reaction score
Reality;1282771 said:
Just 3 days ago we had over 300 new threads created in a single day. Just to give you can idea that is 24 pages of threads.

Gameday, baby. :laugh1:

If you have a thought - post a thread.:D