Releasing Jaylon and signing KJ Wright

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes it does. I've seen that the 5th year option for LVE will be about $13M due to his pro bowl nod (not All Pro).
Do you know if 5th year options become guaranteed the moment they are picked up?

I would think so, but just trying to know for sure.

Thats a tough one but I wouldn't pick his up based on what I've seen thus far....and they won't be able to see any more before the choice needs to be made.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, they need to try to sign him long term. With his injury history I think we can get him with the Jaylon deal. The issue is LVE is the Wentz of linebackers.
I am a big Lve fan, but his last two years have been terrible not just from a injury standpoint, but his drop-off in play. A lot will depend how the draft breaks out. If they don't get the necessary resources at the position, almost have to pick up his option. Considering Jaylon could be on the chopping block, the positional group is a huge need this off-season.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jaylon is not getting cut. Fans turned on him real quick as they do with any player. This board needs a whipping boy player to whine about, always.
Went from Heath to Jaylon. Who will be next or will they keep on whining about Jaylon.

And no to Wright, what sense will that make. Lose a young player that looked overweight last year, and pay an aging vet who will want to get paid also. No, you keep Jaylon and see what he does in the new scheme more suited to his play as well as the rest of the defense. Make him get in shape. And if the DL did their job, he would not have looked as he did at times.

I had to laugh, yet again about Jaylon posts. There is another thread about the salary cap. A post suggested to restructure like 7 players contract, but wanted to cut Jaylon, when his could be restructured as well.

I like KJ, but only of he could be had in addition to Jaylon

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am a big Lve fan, but his last two years have been terrible not just from a injury standpoint, but his drop-off in play. A lot will depend how the draft breaks out. If they don't get the necessary resources at the position, almost have to pick up his option. Considering Jaylon could be on the chopping block, the positional group is a huge need this off-season.
After hearing the news about Dak today the Cowboys might need to just draft the best valued player. I would like to see what happens if Jones, Fields or Lance fall to 10. The Cowboys would have no choice but to draft one of those quarterbacks. We will know soon enough.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Do you know if 5th year options become guaranteed the moment they are picked up?

I would think so, but just trying to know for sure.

Thats a tough one but I wouldn't pick his up based on what I've seen thus far....and they won't be able to see any more before the choice needs to be made.
From what I've read, yes, it would be fully guaranteed if they pick it up. $13M is a big gamble on a guy that can't stay on the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Coaches always bring in former players to help with the transition
I realize that, but Atlanta wasn't exactly a success story of late, and Seattle was an eternity ago in NFL terms.

I'm not in love with doing a ton of this for Quinn.

Who knows how long he is even going to be here?

This is more like the coaching hire needed to be tailored around the existing personnel rather than bringing in guys to suit Quinn.

Again, a couple of guys sure...I'm just not sure Wright ought to be one of them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I realize that, but Atlanta wasn't exactly a success story of late, and Seattle was an eternity ago in NFL terms.

I'm not in love with doing a ton of this for Quinn.

Who knows how long he is even going to be here?

This is more like the coaching hire needed to be tailored around the existing personnel rather than bringing in guys to suit Quinn.

Again, a couple of guys sure...I'm just not sure Wright ought to be one of them.

Every coach brings former players with them. Wright is still a quality player with a Super Bowl pedigree, what's not to like. If signed, he would be more of a bridge short-term player for a year or two.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if Wright did come here, would Zeke greet him the same way he did in that 2016 preseason game. :muttley:
I think it was him or was that Chancellor?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Realistically KJ would be signed with Jaylon.
He's a Sean Lee type replacement. LB3 with ability to start be give you LB1 qualities in short bursts,
If you had Jaylon, LVE/KJ you'd feel really good about your top 3 guys and you'd draft a rookie to be LB4.

I completely understand this board has mentally cut Jaylon but it seems really unlikely that happens this year.

Again cutting Jaylon doesn't save you much money unless you designate him a post June 1st cut and to do so you eat his 10M cap hit until June 2nd.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
After hearing the news about Dak today the Cowboys might need to just draft the best valued player. I would like to see what happens if Jones, Fields or Lance fall to 10. The Cowboys would have no choice but to draft one of those quarterbacks. We will know soon enough.
What did I miss in regards to Dak?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, they need to try to sign him long term. With his injury history I think we can get him with the Jaylon deal. The issue is LVE is the Wentz of linebackers.
Maybe a similar move like Sean Lee to more of an outside linebacker then taking all the damage at the Mike.

Proof

Reaction score
They would improve this way simply by getting a linebacker off the field that avoids contact.

I'm not really into the idea of bringing a bunch of ex Quinn dudes in here....

One maybe, but I'm not sure that Wright is that guy.

i hear this all the time, (and have seen on occasion) but how do you have so many tackles avoiding contact?

fivetwos

Reaction score
i hear this all the time, (and have seen on occasion) but how do you have so many tackles avoiding contact?
Not gonna make some insulting comment about if you actually watch the games....which is all too common around here. I know you watch the games.

Let's say this....I've spent many games watching only him on defense...and many a replay doing the same.

I wish I had a dollar for every time he would put his hand on the behind of a DLineman, follow him being moved backward, then chase down the ball carrier from behind....six to eight yards past the LOS.

He rarely if ever hits the correct hole. It looks as if he is guessing actually.

Tackles for losses just don't exist in his game.

I've said before I dont think effort is his problem, although I think he may have been as bad a scheme fit w Nolan as anyone.

I think he will get another shot to prove he can get his game back.

Of course I'm rooting for him, but its difficult to believe in someone who plays so lethargic....and he definitely looks timid when it comes to going to make a play vs watching it come to him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Don't tell me were actually fooled into thinking this was true? Plus, if people starting putting, "What if..." this board would have 75% of the first page labeled, "What if..."
Did I say anyone was fooled into believing the thread title being factual? No, I did not. What I was getting at is the way the thread title was written is so obviously fiction that folks need to figure out a better way of writing them. If you don't like "what if" then find a better way rather than posting fiction.