Releasing Jaylon and signing KJ Wright

fivetwos

Reaction score
Every coach brings former players with them. Wright is still a quality player with a Super Bowl pedigree, what's not to like. If signed, he would be more of a bridge short-term player for a year or two.
If he is coming here cheap, then fine, but if he is viewed as the pick up thats gonna change things then we shouldn't expect much change.

Original point......I don't want the Seahawks defense from six years ago or whatever all flocking here because of Dan Quinn.

That ship has sailed. Let's find some younger players that fit the scheme and build it from there.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jaylon isn't going anywhere this year. Right or wrong doesn't matter he will stay a cowboy through the 2021 season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
'Releasing Jaylon and signing KJ Wright' IS misleading.
It's straight-up fiction. Posters need to find a better way of titling their thread rather than using fiction. Maybe the mods could give them a hand and in the process that would enhance the forum.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What did I miss in regards to Dak?
The 105.7 morning guy saying that there is 20% chance Dak’s ankle injury is not healing properly and the Cowboys could release him all together if the doctors see an issue with his ankle. It is in another thread.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The 105.7 morning guy saying that there is 20% chance Dak’s ankle injury is not healing properly and the Cowboys could release him all together if the doctors see an issue with his ankle. It is in another thread.
Team could always just franchise him and play it out, if the ankle proves to be an issue, they move on and start their QB search.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jaylon is not getting cut. Fans turned on him real quick as they do with any player. This board needs a whipping boy player to whine about, always.
Went from Heath to Jaylon. Who will be next or will they keep on whining about Jaylon.

And no to Wright, what sense will that make. Lose a young player that looked overweight last year, and pay an aging vet who will want to get paid also. No, you keep Jaylon and see what he does in the new scheme more suited to his play as well as the rest of the defense. Make him get in shape. And if the DL did their job, he would not have looked as he did at times.

I had to laugh, yet again about Jaylon posts. There is another thread about the salary cap. A post suggested to restructure like 7 players contract, but wanted to cut Jaylon, when his could be restructured as well.

Just stop. Jaylon is criticized because he is awful. It has nothing to do with needing a scapegoat.

Proof

Reaction score
Not gonna make some insulting comment about if you actually watch the games....which is all too common around here. I know you watch the games.

Let's say this....I've spent many games watching only him on defense...and many a replay doing the same.

I wish I had a dollar for every time he would put his hand on the behind of a DLineman, follow him being moved backward, then chase down the ball carrier from behind....six to eight yards past the LOS.

He rarely if ever hits the correct hole. It looks as if he is guessing actually.

Tackles for losses just don't exist in his game.

I've said before I dont think effort is his problem, although I think he may have been as bad a scheme fit w Nolan as anyone.

I think he will get another shot to prove he can get his game back.

Of course I'm rooting for him, but its difficult to believe in someone who plays so lethargic....and he definitely looks timid when it comes to going to make a play vs watching it come to him.

yeah he does some head scratching stuff and misdiagnoses a ton.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not gonna make some insulting comment about if you actually watch the games....which is all too common around here. I know you watch the games.

Let's say this....I've spent many games watching only him on defense...and many a replay doing the same.

I wish I had a dollar for every time he would put his hand on the behind of a DLineman, follow him being moved backward, then chase down the ball carrier from behind....six to eight yards past the LOS.

He rarely if ever hits the correct hole. It looks as if he is guessing actually.

Tackles for losses just don't exist in his game.

I've said before I dont think effort is his problem, although I think he may have been as bad a scheme fit w Nolan as anyone.

I think he will get another shot to prove he can get his game back.

Of course I'm rooting for him, but its difficult to believe in someone who plays so lethargic....and he definitely looks timid when it comes to going to make a play vs watching it come to him.
Jaylon has led people off the deep end to silly town.
He was pretty bad this year as were all his defensive teammates at times.
Reality is Jaylon was probably your 2nd best defender in 2020 thus the poor defensive showing.
He made all those tackles without being great largely because the other 10 didn't.
It's like having mediocre rebounder get 10 rebounds in basketball.
He may not really be double digit rebounder but if you surround him with non-rebounders... there you go.

Wrong hole Jaylon... I have actually played a decent amount of football. It is nearly impossible to know what hole Jaylon has assigned on a given play because the defense is just confusing and mismashed.
See the bob Sturm break down on this with 4 actual defensive coaches.
They go deep into like 5-6 plays and are like man who knows what this defense is calling for.

Entering the year if you could build a role not to suit Jaylon it would have been what Nolan asked of him.
Want you to practice at Will and then we will switch you back to Mike and calling plays like week 3 because LVE is injured again.
We want you to read and react waiting and playing two holes.

What is actually true is that Jaylon is overpaid.
He's definitely limited in what he can do on the field.
He can attack holes going forward and he can man cover guys that don't change direction.
He will hit you hard and he will cause fumbles.
He will fill an area in a zone but can only come forward not side to side.

But we've got to please for the love of holy stop lying on this forum.
The Dallas Cowboys could not take Jaylon off the field last year for even small stretches because the other LB were so injured/bad and usually both.
And people want to grade Jaylon after he was assigned read and react duties behind the worst DT rotation in the NFL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i hear this all the time, (and have seen on occasion) but how do you have so many tackles avoiding contact?
He's at least straight-line fast. And the other guys can't or won't tackle.

All the talk of how bad Jaylon is ignores just how bad the other guys are on tape.
Dallas defense basically had DLaw and that's it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Getting back to Jaylon, they may to see if Jaylon plays better in a more simplistic scheme under Dan Quinn and make the decision after next season. They could approach him now and ask to take a pay cut, if he refuses could

There was talk in December about asking Jaylon for a pay cut. I think on The Break.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jaylon has led people off the deep end to silly town.
He was pretty bad this year as were all his defensive teammates at times.
Reality is Jaylon was probably your 2nd best defender in 2020 thus the poor defensive showing.

Gregory, Lawrence, Wilson, XWoods, Aldon, Diggs were all better per me and PFF.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But we've got to please for the love of holy stop lying on this forum.
The Dallas Cowboys could not take Jaylon off the field last year for even small stretches because the other LB were so injured/bad and usually both.
And people want to grade Jaylon after he was assigned read and react duties behind the worst DT rotation in the NFL.

Could have played Gifford or Bernard. Both scored higher in PFF, are young, have a future here, and could have used the development.
As you point out, Jaylon is extremely limited in what he can do. Just move on already.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
An observation of the game tape reveals Jaylon often does dumb stuff that puts him out of position to make a play. It's all self-inflicted dumb stuff. He needs to get in the study room with his new DC and Sean Lee to figure this out. I think he will be playing in a scheme better suited for him next season. Jaylon is a high effort guy so he can be a much better player, he just needs to get the mental part of it figured out.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's at least straight-line fast. And the other guys can't or won't tackle.

All the talk of how bad Jaylon is ignores just how bad the other guys are on tape.
Dallas defense basically had DLaw and that's it.

I analyze Jaylon individually, other players playing poorly has no impact on the fact he takes poor angles and simply reads plays wrong far too often. That's on him.

One day Cowboys fans will stop excusing mediocre and bad players. Maybe not this decade or the next, but eventually it will happen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A decision is looming not only with Jaylon and his contract, but Lve and his 5th year option which they have to decide by this May to pick up or not. Think the option gets picks up, cause they have no choice, due to the lack of depth at the position.

Getting back to Jaylon, they may to see if Jaylon plays better in a more simplistic scheme under Dan Quinn and make the decision after next season. They could approach him now and ask to take a pay cut, if he refuses could outright release him. I believe if he becomes a June 1st cut, they can gain 7 million in cap space.

KJ Wright is a linebacker that played under Dan Quinn with the Seahawks. He is a three down player who has the ability to play all 3 linebacker positions. His downside is 32 years old, but still playing at a high level. Knows the system, brings leadership and stabilizes the position. Thoughts?

Jaylon sucks. One of the worst Lbers in the NFL from where I am standing. Cant play MLBer. Terrible leader. Need to get him outta town. Addition by subtraction. If we can get 7 million, the thats a bonus.