Releasing Jaylon and signing KJ Wright

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys will surely draft at least one or two DBs in the upcoming draft.

There's really no sound reasoning in welcoming old guys to serve this team.

The Cowboys need young DBs, with speed and long futures ahead of them.

Wasting needful cap resources on old players just isn't in their best interest.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith doesn't move well great experiment but no .

OTOH I am going start rating his dives onto the pile. I'm hoping he'll add a jack knife and foward flip w/ a half twist.

CUT

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unless they know of some *improving* medical situation that they *expect* to let him play better, I'd just move on. I'd rather be giving the snaps to young players with a future with the team.
They may wait until they see what happens in the draft before making a decision, same could be said about Lve's 5th year option.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Im a big fan of Wright. Always productive, team leader, super intelligent on film, played in 991 snaps last season.

Wright recorded 82 tackles (56 solo), two sacks, one interception, and tied Jamal Adams with a team-high 11 tackles for loss in 2020. He’s far from washed

seems like an upgrade to an often hurt Lee and definitely better than Smith. If Lee retires a good add if they keep smith which I think they will. JJ never cuts ties quickly after spending $$$ on a player

75boyz

Reaction score
far from washed or not, still 32. If the team is interested, they can manipulate a 3 year deal to keep his cap hit down and the 3rd year probably never happens, but allows them to spread out the signing bonus cap hit for the next 2 years. They need a leader in that group, so I would be happy to have him. If Quinn is anything like most coaches, he'd probably campaign for him to get one of his guys on the roster.

Excellent post. The only challenge to this for me would be to draft a 3rd rd stud LB who slipped thru the cracks from one of the halfway decent playing college defenses as I prefer a QB, OT or DT in rounds one and 2.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah but we were also viewed as a Super Bowl contender before the year and he was a insurance policy for LVE and Jaylon..

It’s time to draft and hopefully find a replacement for Smith. We need someone who can actually play in space.

With Dak’s contract we’re looking at about 3 years of taking the hit before we can even think about winning a Title.
I agree that Jaylon is a liability in space. he doesn't have any change of direction mobility and long speed and can't go side line to side line any more. he only has short area burst straight ahead which makes him a 2 down LB to attack the LOS for run support. not worth his contract by about 9.5M. we do need to draft an off the ball LB that can cover and drop in coverage and go side line to side line.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would 100% be onboard bringing KJ Wright in as a starter. Incredibly productive and savvy player.
I am not so sure. he is 31....and we are not going to fix this defense in 2021, so by the time we are supposedly ready, if we hit on draft this year he will be 32/33. and he is going to want a lot of money. I rather avoid players on the downsize of their career and he clearly is on the down side. better than what we have, but on the down side.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A decision is looming not only with Jaylon and his contract, but Lve and his 5th year option which they have to decide by this May to pick up or not. Think the option gets picks up, cause they have no choice, due to the lack of depth at the position.

Getting back to Jaylon, they may to see if Jaylon plays better in a more simplistic scheme under Dan Quinn and make the decision after next season. They could approach him now and ask to take a pay cut, if he refuses could outright release him. I believe if he becomes a June 1st cut, they can gain 7 million in cap space.

KJ Wright is a linebacker that played under Dan Quinn with the Seahawks. He is a three down player who has the ability to play all 3 linebacker positions. His downside is 32 years old, but still playing at a high level. Knows the system, brings leadership and stabilizes the position. Thoughts?

I approve this...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They may wait until they see what happens in the draft before making a decision, same could be said about Lve's 5th year option.

Can't wait on Jaylon.
2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (3/21/21) (injury guaranteed now).

Don't know when they have to decide on LVE's 5th year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I am not so sure. he is 31....and we are not going to fix this defense in 2021, so by the time we are supposedly ready, if we hit on draft this year he will be 32/33. and he is going to want a lot of money. I rather avoid players on the downsize of their career and he clearly is on the down side. better than what we have, but on the down side.

The Bucs were 7-9 last year.

If you continually have your sights on the future you will not be competitive in the present.

Having some proven vets sprinkled in a young defense is ideal.

visionary

Reaction score
The Bucs were 7-9 last year.

If you continually have your sights on the future you will not be competitive in the present.

Having some proven vets sprinkled in a young defense is ideal.

this
It seems that we’re never “there” always “ a few years away” but we should pay our QB 40 million

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Can't wait on Jaylon.
2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (3/21/21) (injury guaranteed now).

Don't know when they have to decide on LVE's 5th year.
Decision on Lve comes in May. Not sure what they will decide to do with Jaylon. In my opinion, I really don't know anything Jaylon does well.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A decision is looming not only with Jaylon and his contract, but Lve and his 5th year option which they have to decide by this May to pick up or not. Think the option gets picks up, cause they have no choice, due to the lack of depth at the position.

Getting back to Jaylon, they may to see if Jaylon plays better in a more simplistic scheme under Dan Quinn and make the decision after next season. They could approach him now and ask to take a pay cut, if he refuses could outright release him. I believe if he becomes a June 1st cut, they can gain 7 million in cap space.

KJ Wright is a linebacker that played under Dan Quinn with the Seahawks. He is a three down player who has the ability to play all 3 linebacker positions. His downside is 32 years old, but still playing at a high level. Knows the system, brings leadership and stabilizes the position. Thoughts?

JSmith is our best LB. he stays.

LVE will be extended.

SLee is 50/50 at best for 2021. He’s an old LB with a wealth of football knowledge .

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Need to release JS and let LVE walk and as for signing a 32 yr old linebacker, I'm in on that. If anything the Boys can bring in rookie LBers to watch and learn from Wright. When the time is right the young ones with football knowledge, talent and who can stay healthy can take over Wright's spot on the team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
An observation of the game tape reveals Jaylon often does dumb stuff that puts him out of position to make a play. It's all self-inflicted dumb stuff. He needs to get in the study room with his new DC and Sean Lee to figure this out. I think he will be playing in a scheme better suited for him next season. Jaylon is a high effort guy so he can be a much better player, he just needs to get the mental part of it figured out.

per ESPN, Jaylon was 2nd in NFL tackles in 2020.

154 tackles.

maybe if he stops the “dumb stuff”, he can be #1 in 2021?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jaylon sucks. One of the worst Lbers in the NFL from where I am standing. Cant play MLBer. Terrible leader. Need to get him outta town. Addition by subtraction. If we can get 7 million, the thats a bonus.

154 tackles.

led the team.

2nd in NFL.

“sucks,”