Twitter: Remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs were 1st round picks except Brock Purdy

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
The reason i harp on our defensive suckage is because it is supposed to be the thing we hand our hats on. No matter what the offense does or doesn't do. I am so disappointed in that side of the ball that I am ready to see a leadership change on that side at a minimum. All of the great things Dan has done over there...it all goes out the window when we get steamrolled by the better teams.
Our D is terrible. It can't hold up after bending all day. And by the end of the season it flat out starts breaking much before the 4th quarter.
Our DC has put us in a terrible bind. We need large scale personnel changes in order to be able to move away from his terrible scheme.
Couple this with our insufficient O needs, which are many, and we are in a world of hurt for a long time to come.
If we don't clean house now, we will just prolong the suck fest.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He's had 35 years to draft a 1st round QB since Aikman and the closest he's come is a trade for a scrub 1st rounder.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
To me it says that coaching matters.

The Rams thought Stafford was so much better than Goff that they traded Goff, two first round picks and a third round pick to Detroit to get rid of Goff.

The Rams won a Super Bowl with Stafford quickly but nothing since, and now that Goff has had time to learn and improve like Stafford did with the Lions, Goff led his new team to a win against the Rams and Stafford this season.

Selecting a quarterback in the first round is by no means a guarantee your team will be in the playoffs, but hoping to strike gold in late rounds is even more of a gamble.

Quarterbacks cannot control who draft them and they cannot control who coaches them, but the odds of success are still much better with a non-reaching first round quarterback pick than they are with one from the later rounds.

Are there exceptions? Sure, Tom Brady, Brock Purdy, etc. are great examples of late round quarterbacks who have done well. There are also a lot of examples of first round quarterback busts.

Regardless of what you may think about first round quarterbacks in general, the last time the Cowboys selected a quarterback in the first round (which was 1989 .. 35 years ago), they ended up winning 3 Super Bowls.

In the 28 years since then, the Cowboys have avoided drafting first round quarterbacks and there have been no Super Bowls as a result.

While there are no guarantees, it's obvious after 28 years of failed seasons that what the Cowboys have been doing has not been working.
Thats extraordinary when you think about it.

If someone had told me back in the day that JJ wouldn't draft a QB in the first round after Aikman, I would have laughed and said you were dreaming.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Maybe we can have the NFL change the playoff format to the 14 worst teams make the playoffs instead of the 14 best!
Maybe then Dak can then win 3 playoff games and the Stupid Bowl!
I think the problem is that it would still be a playoff game. win or go home. he loves that mattress man.

Ken

Reaction score
Our D is terrible. It can't hold up after bending all day. And by the end of the season it flat out starts breaking much before the 4th quarter.
Our DC has put us in a terrible bind. We need large scale personnel changes in order to be able to move away from his terrible scheme.
Couple this with our insufficient O needs, which are many, and we are in a world of hurt for a long time to come.
If we don't clean house now, we will just prolong the suck fest.
Yup
..I am ready to move on from a lot of players on that D. Kearse, Hank (probably, not getting any younger), Gallimore should have been cut in preseason, Fowler, Armstrong...

Can all go. I am ready to turn it over to different FAs and draft picks.

rambo2

Reaction score
What's really funny is that the 7th round pick may win the championship.

basel90

Reaction score

Dak is what he is , a fourth rounder from lowly Miss State, who no one wanted . Benefited from the best OL and running game in his initial years and fooled everyone with empty stats ,into believing he is an MVP . His record is in the playoffs is abysmal and has lost more than 75% of his games against winning teams . It all adds up . Jerry has trapped the cowboys with Dak

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I keep seeing some Dak supporters argue against moving on because "who can we get"

Other posters namedyoung QBs like Patrick Mahomes and Joe burrow and then the supporters say "good luck, those QBs are taken" not realizing the Chiefs had Alex Smith and the Bengals had Andy Dalton on their rosters when they drafted those QBs

How much evidence do they need?!!

Andy Dalton and Alex Smith is an exact comparison of were we are with Dak.
Andy Dalton and Alex Smith were successful QBs but they were not good enough just like Dak.
Well - we've got a first-round pick on the roster right now. In fact, he's a third-overall pick. After how Love turned it around, we should be giving Lance a very long leash. You never know.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I don’t really see how this is a meaningful metric, given Dak is a better quarterback than at least half those former first round picks. If you’re gonna sit here and cite the likes of Baker Mayfield and Jared Goff as evidence for the necessity of a first round pick at QB then I have nothing to say to you.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
Well - we've got a first-round pick on the roster right now. In fact, he's a third-overall pick. After how Love turned it around, we should be giving Lance a very long leash. You never know.
I think most of just want to see them at least try and upgrade the position or take it seriously...

One 1st round QB drafted since 1989.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t really see how this is a meaningful metric, given Dak is a better quarterback than at least half those former first round picks. If you’re gonna sit here and cite the likes of Baker Mayfield and Jared Goff as evidence for the necessity of a first round pick at QB then I have nothing to say to you.
And that is just dandy for us..............GL man supporting a proven Lemon of a QB!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak is better than the majority of those qbs. lmao, dak chokescott.. dang Eagles fans making funnies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
What's really shocking is he set a Cowboys record for yards passing in a playoff game.
Yep
250 of the 400 yards (and 2 TDs) came after the game was WAY over.
Either the scrubs were playing or before that, the Pack was in full-on prevent mode.

Almost certainly the most deceptive stat in the history of NFL playoffs
It did help Dak keep is career passer rating above 90 though!

rambo2

Reaction score
Yep
250 of the 400 yards (and 2 TDs) came after the game was WAY over.
Either the scrubs were playing or before that, the Pack was in full-on prevent mode.

Almost certainly the most deceptive stat in the history of NFL playoffs
It did help Dak keep is career passer rating above 90 though!
Dak played poorly at the start. That’s for sure. However, he had an outstanding season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
To me it says that coaching matters.

The Rams thought Stafford was so much better than Goff that they traded Goff, two first round picks and a third round pick to Detroit to get rid of Goff.

The Rams won a Super Bowl with Stafford quickly but nothing since, and now that Goff has had time to learn and improve like Stafford did with the Lions, Goff led his new team to a win against the Rams and Stafford this season.

Selecting a quarterback in the first round is by no means a guarantee your team will be in the playoffs, but hoping to strike gold in late rounds is even more of a gamble.

Quarterbacks cannot control who draft them and they cannot control who coaches them, but the odds of success are still much better with a non-reaching first round quarterback pick than they are with one from the later rounds.

Are there exceptions? Sure, Tom Brady, Brock Purdy, etc. are great examples of late round quarterbacks who have done well. There are also a lot of examples of first round quarterback busts.

Regardless of what you may think about first round quarterbacks in general, the last time the Cowboys selected a quarterback in the first round (which was 1989 .. 35 years ago), they ended up winning 3 Super Bowls.

In the 28 years since then, the Cowboys have avoided drafting first round quarterbacks and there have been no Super Bowls as a result.

While there are no guarantees, it's obvious after 28 years of failed seasons that what the Cowboys have been doing has not been working.
That Stafford for Goff + picks trade was one of the few big trades that both teams won.

The Rams got the ultimate prize Super Bowl they wanted in year 1 and came inches from making a deeper playoff run again in year 3.
The Lions got a solid QB and so many picks they could build the best line in the league, get lots of weapons, and improve a bad defense. They have a decent chance of playing in the NFCCG! The future looks good for them, finally.

That was the best playoff game so far...Rams at Lions.
Flip the coin. Home team advanced.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Dak played poorly at the start. That’s for sure. However, he had an outstanding season.
The regular season is not the "season". It is a portion of the entire season.
The season ends at the end of the Super Bowl.

The regular season is a prerequisite for an opportunity to have an outstanding season.