Twitter: Report: Cowboys showed interest in trading for Vaccaro last year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't see it. We actually have *too many* decent DBs this year.

For all the hate, Heath had a good year, and I thought the arrow was up through the season. Frazier started to show something. Woods too. And Jones still, if we need him.

We've got other problems than the secondary. We hit in the draft, and didn't know it that early last year. Now we do. I don't see us shelling out big for a safety.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First the Cowboys aren't going to trade for Thomas. That is directly related to point two. Second the Cowboys have 4 players they have said are a priority to resign/extend and that will leave no money to sign free agents or trade for expensive players. Third, Byron proved he doesn't posses the speed needed to play corner in the NFL that is the primary reason he was moved to safety.
:huh:

Byron Jones is very fast. He blew past all other players a couple of times this past season including at least 1 CB.

I'm not saying he should play CB, but speed is not a problem.

He might be the fastest player on the team. The CB Browm is likely the only player that might be faster but Brown doesn't look as fast on the field as his measured time.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Vacarro, though from the "soft" culture at UT is an instant upgrade to what we have now, blokes.
Steady, lad, lay low to the starboard wind .... steady...

rkell87

Reaction score
First the Cowboys aren't going to trade for Thomas. That is directly related to point two. Second the Cowboys have 4 players they have said are a priority to resign/extend and that will leave no money to sign free agents or trade for expensive players. Third, Byron proved he doesn't posses the speed needed to play corner in the NFL that is the primary reason he was moved to safety.
He literally had the fastest on field speed of any defender in the NFL last year.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Vacarro, though from the "soft" culture at UT is an instant upgrade to what we have now, blokes.
Steady, lad, lay low to the starboard wind .... steady...
Based on what? Not his on field play. Heath is a better safety according to any metric you want to look at.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

First, i think there is really a possibility they can trade for Thomas. Dont think that run up Thomas did, didnt open Jerrys eyes.
Second, Dallas is roughly 20mil under the cap, and can Free up about 8.5 mil restructuring Frederick. And i think this will happen because there are still 6 yrs left on his deal and still have the final 2 yrs with no guaranteed money owed. This is what Dallas does to be able to get cap help in yrs. Something you people still dont understand even when the Jones' tell you.

Dallas cap space as of right now 20.311 mil

Frederick restructure estimated 28.811mil under
Scandrick release 30.011mil under
Mayowa release 32.761mil under
Hanna release 35.511mil under

Wow just like that, without any major moves Dallas is 35.511mil under the cap. To be able to trade for a Earl Thomas or sign a Vacarro. The cap is already accounting Martins 2018 salary at over 9mil. The first yr of a extension for him will be probably half of that. So add in another 4.5mil to the cap and Dallas has roughly 40mil in cap space. Lawrence first yr on his new deal will be probably 4-6mil in the first yr ill go at 5, so thats 35mil under. Tender Irving even round 1 which will be roughly 4mil. 31mil under the cap. And all this before Dealing with Dez. Me personally listening to Stephen the team is gonna ask him to take a paycut. So im going to add Dez to the releases now. By releasing Dez Dallas gets back 8.5mil and takes the cap back to roughly 39.5mil under. And even if they dont, and Dez stays on the team they will still be roughly 31mil under the cap with already handling the most important parts of the offseason in resigning their own important guys.

vaturkey

Reaction score
I always loved our dart board approach to free agency. However I've noticed the darts we have, have blunt tips (aka no money) and hence never stick to the board.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wow just like that, without any major moves Dallas is 35.511mil under the cap. To be able to trade for a Earl Thomas or sign a Vacarro.

I'm skeptical of "look we've got money, let's spend it!"

We should spend if the deals are good value, and bring good improvement for the cost. PFF ranked Thomas #9. He hasn't been an All Pro since 2014. And this year he's another year older. I don't see him as the Earl Thomas of legend anymore.

Let's say we trade a 7th to Seattle to get his contract. So it's 8.5mil to us. Plausible that is at least a decent price for him. Not that I'm claiming we would get him for that price from Seattle.

PFF lists Heath as #35. Middle of the pack for safeties. Thomas is probably a significant improvement, though given his age, we don't know how long.

I'm at least warming to the idea. Lots of other places I'd want to spend money, but I do think that an over the top safety can make a huge difference, much like Lee makes for the defense. And even if Earl is no longer the Legend, he's still been that guy, and can likely still bring a lot of that to the team.

Having a Richardson guy in the secondary, with the credibility of Thomas, would help sell what he plans for the secondary. Good for all the young guys we've got.

Maybe I'm flipping on this. I'm at least not as averse as I was.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of "look we've got money, let's spend it!"

We should spend if the deals are good value, and bring good improvement for the cost. PFF ranked Thomas #9. He hasn't been an All Pro since 2014. And this year he's another year older. I don't see him as the Earl Thomas of legend anymore.

Let's say we trade a 7th to Seattle to get his contract. So it's 8.5mil to us. Plausible that is at least a decent price for him. Not that I'm claiming we would get him for that price from Seattle.

PFF lists Heath as #35. Middle of the pack for safeties. Thomas is probably a significant improvement, though given his age, we don't know how long.

I'm at least warming to the idea. Lots of other places I'd want to spend money, but I do think that an over the top safety can make a huge difference, much like Lee makes for the defense. And even if Earl is no longer the Legend, he's still been that guy, and can likely still bring a lot of that to the team.

Having a Richardson guy in the secondary, with the credibility of Thomas, would help sell what he plans for the secondary. Good for all the young guys we've got.

Maybe I'm flipping on this. I'm at least not as averse as I was.

Earl Thomas is 28.

And IDK what ur talking about but Earl Thomas was a 2nd all pro this yr, which means he was basically the 2nd best FS in the nfl. 2016 he wasnt an all pro because basically he was out with a broken tibia. 2015 nobody was going to beat out Eric Berry and what he came back from.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sign Vaccaro, trade for Earl Thomas, move Byron to CB.

Safety problem fixed.

Sure it's gonna costs millions of dollars but still.

No more Jeff Heath.

Byron isn't playing CB for a reason. Hint: its not b/c he is good at it. If he were, then we wouldn't have dedicated 3 draft picks to the cbs last year. He is a perfect example of a guy who should be dangled as trade bait.......maybe we land a 4th or 5th rounder from a team that thinks they can find something he is good at.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Byron is one of the fastest players on the team, in fact NFL clocked him as the fastest players this season in the league. It's that not even close to why he was moved to safety, had nothing to do with speed

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets just ponder your wannabe GM skills. The Cowboys have said they have a priority to sign/extend 4 players and allow for the rookies they will draft and that will use up more than the available cap space. The Cowboys have several pressing needs and have to hit on ALL OF THEIR TOP draft picks, 1 - 4 or 5. You want to trade for Thomas which means giving up possibly multiple draft picks and then trading away at least 2 draft picks to select a LB. So your big moves are to squander the Cowboys top draft picks on 2 trades, one of which because of cap space the Cowboys wouldn't be able to afford, and these 2 players will be the entire fix for the Cowboys? All of their pressing needs will be answered with these 2 players? Stick to fantasy football where the only one you hurt is your fantasy team.

Why do you think Earl Thomas is going to cost so much? Seattle is going to take a 10.4 million dollar cap hit if he stays on the books. He is in the last year of his contract. I think he could be had for a mid round pick and the balance of his contract which is an 8.5 million dollar base.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron is one of the fastest players on the team, in fact NFL clocked him as the fastest players this season in the league. It's that not even close to why he was moved to safety, had nothing to do with speed
If only all he had to do was run in a straight line..............

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If only all he had to do was run in a straight line..............
Yea sure cause he can't run in all directions huh. Man the hate some of these players get is incredible, folks throw all football knowledge out the door to make a silly comment that has no truth

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea sure cause he can't run in all directions huh. Man the hate some of these players get is incredible, folks throw all football knowledge out the door to make a silly comment that has no truth

I've had the same opinion on this guy since we got snookered into drafting him. He is a great athlete........phenominal athlete. He has no football instincts. He's a guy that should be on the US track team not in an NFL uniform. He lost PT to Kavon Frazier who actually likes to hit people. At best, maybe this new secondary coach can find him a role that he can excel in. As of of right now, he is a wasted 1st round pick.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I've had the same opinion on this guy since we got snookered into drafting him. He is a great athlete........phenominal athlete. He has no football instincts. He's a guy that should be on the US track team not in an NFL uniform. He lost PT to Kavon Frazier who actually likes to hit people. At best, maybe this new secondary coach can find him a role that he can excel in. As of of right now, he is a wasted 1st round pick.

Not sure of you remember before Jones, but he has dramatically improved the deep ball defense. The last two years we have been top 10 in not allowing 20+ and 40+ passes. True, he's not getting a lot of turnovers, but he's also been pretty good playing center field.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
All due respect to Vaccaro, but Ive never really understood the infatuation.
I would much rather sign Tyvon Branch, he is 31, but still a player with veteran positional awareness far exceeding Vaccaros' level IMO.
Could probably reel in Branch for around 5 mill a yr, but he will start the bidding at 7 for a final payday.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Looks like it’s gonna be another off season of Cowboys interest to help negotiations