Twitter: Report: Cowboys showed interest in trading for Vaccaro last year

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I've had the same opinion on this guy since we got snookered into drafting him. He is a great athlete........phenominal athlete. He has no football instincts. He's a guy that should be on the US track team not in an NFL uniform. He lost PT to Kavon Frazier who actually likes to hit people. At best, maybe this new secondary coach can find him a role that he can excel in. As of of right now, he is a wasted 1st round pick.
That's not true at all. He is a very good coverage safety. He isn't a box safety like Frazier, you are comparing two different types of safeties...... Hence Frazier came in for run plays and Byron played more in coverage.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure of you remember before Jones, but he has dramatically improved the deep ball defense. The last two years we have been top 10 in not allowing 20+ and 40+ passes. True, he's not getting a lot of turnovers, but he's also been pretty good playing center field.

PFF grades him out as one of the worst safeties in football. I'll offer that and the fact Dallas is looking to move him to CB as evidence.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Based on what? Not his on field play. Heath is a better safety according to any metric you want to look at.
I like Heath, but we truly are banking on an almost average player if we think Heath deserves playing time. That might be the Cowboys biggest drawback --- constantly overrating players.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
PFF grades him out as one of the worst safeties in football. I'll offer that and the fact Dallas is looking to move him to CB as evidence.

And here he's ranked #4 below in NFL 1000. Here is a PFF link that states he was one of the best coverage DBs in the NFC East and another one after he made PPF player of the week after the Rams game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755356-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-strong-safeties-of-2017-season

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-of-the-Week-after-battle-with-Rams-108406133

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And here he's ranked #4 below in NFL 1000. Here is a PFF link that states he was one of the best coverage DBs in the NFC East and another one after he made PPF player of the week after the Rams game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755356-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-strong-safeties-of-2017-season

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-of-the-Week-after-battle-with-Rams-108406133

Oh right. Thats why he's moving to CB. He's such a tremendous safety that its just not fair to opposing teams to keep him at safety.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That is our team average and when your coach is below average, then you get our team this year missing the playoffs.

rkell87

Reaction score
Based on what? Not his on field play. Heath is a better safety according to any metric you want to look at.
Based on the way we want to play and use our safeties, at least in the past I can't say what Richards will do. Vaccaro has done what we ask Jones to do but from the SS spot, he practically fits like a glove.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I like Heath, but we truly are banking on an almost average player if we think Heath deserves playing time. That might be the Cowboys biggest drawback --- constantly overrating players.
With all that said, he’s still better than Vacarro

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Based on the way we want to play and use our safeties, at least in the past I can't say what Richards will do. Vaccaro has done what we ask Jones to do but from the SS spot, he practically fits like a glove.
We need a FS not a SS

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is 28.

And IDK what ur talking about but Earl Thomas was a 2nd all pro this yr, which means he was basically the 2nd best FS in the nfl. 2016 he wasnt an all pro because basically he was out with a broken tibia. 2015 nobody was going to beat out Eric Berry and what he came back from.

And in May, Earl Thomas will be 29.

PFF's score is what it is. I don't think they have any axe to grind to make Thomas look less than he is.

2nd team all pro is not all pro, it is all pro but for the actual all pro. He was all pro in 2012-2014 when he was first team all pro, and doing it without the history of all pro seasons behind him to bump up his ballot numbers.

And clearly, it doesn't look like Earl thinks he's going to last forever, or he wouldn't be in such a hurry to get another contract. He'll be a completely free agent in 2019. Highest bidder. Instead, he's making holdout noises to get another contract with the Seahawks, or be released to sign with someone else. A free agent contract is a much better bargaining position to be in, unless you think your stock is going down.

rkell87

Reaction score
We need a FS not a SS
Despite the rumors I haven't heard anything from the organization that says they aren't happy with jones at FS. I'm not saying I agree but it's clear we value versatility on the back end and vaccaro would be like having another jones, with a little less speed but better instincts for the position. Again I'm not sure what Richards will do but FS and SS have been interchangeable in our scheme for a while now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't care about measureables...Vaccaro has them...I just want a guy that can play ball at a pro level that makes the team better long term. Vaccaro isnt THAT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And in May, Earl Thomas will be 29.

PFF's score is what it is. I don't think they have any axe to grind to make Thomas look less than he is.

2nd team all pro is not all pro, it is all pro but for the actual all pro. He was all pro in 2012-2014 when he was first team all pro, and doing it without the history of all pro seasons behind him to bump up his ballot numbers.

And clearly, it doesn't look like Earl thinks he's going to last forever, or he wouldn't be in such a hurry to get another contract. He'll be a completely free agent in 2019. Highest bidder. Instead, he's making holdout noises to get another contract with the Seahawks, or be released to sign with someone else. A free agent contract is a much better bargaining position to be in, unless you think your stock is going down.
I dont care if Thomas is 35..he is still way better than ANYTHING we have on the back end. Safety is the QB of the secondary..IT MATTERS.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Oh right. Thats why he's moving to CB. He's such a tremendous safety that its just not fair to opposing teams to keep him at safety.

He's been average. I'm not saying we can't improve, but he defends the deep pass well and is not a liability in coverage.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I dont care if Thomas is 35..he is still way better than ANYTHING we have on the back end. Safety is the QB of the secondary..IT MATTERS.

Earl Thomas is better than our guys. And that better would cost, at minimum, 8.5 mil and a draft pick to Seahawks. Is it worth it? Maybe. Maybe not.

And apparently what he wants is a new contract, not to be traded per se. That would require commitment of much more bucks. For all his talk about the Cowboys, he's also begging the Seahawks for mo money. Sounds like it's all about the money. Sounds like he's in a big hurry to get another contract. As one would expect from an older player whose market value is decreasing.

"I don't care if reality". You don't have to. And facts don't care about your feelings either.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Thomas has 2 more great years in him at worst. HECK yes I would at least kick the tires and call Seattle and see what it take. In the end, it might be too expensive.